1023 replies to this topic

#21 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,937 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

I do remember Phillips' quote about not wanting to 'duplicate' the position, meaning since they had Hundley they didn't want a catcher, but as it turned out Hundley was finished as a big time player anyway.

The real funny part is none of the guys we gave up turned out to be anything anyway, though I forget if Preston Wilson was part of the deal or another Marlins trade.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 06 March 2012 - 10:21 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#22 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,143 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

Wilson had some decent years, but that trade was an ultimate win. I was just 7 at the time but even then I knew who Big Mike was. :lol: Definitely my favorite player growing up (and my father's favorite, though he's biased because of our Italian ways :P) and my favorite Met of all time.

I hope he goes into the Hall of Fame as a Met. Statistically, he was better with the Dodgers, but sentimentally he was better with the Mets. Plus he's been pretty open about wanting to go in as a Met.

He'll have his number retired at some point too. After his induction, I would guess.

Edited by nmigliore, 06 March 2012 - 10:30 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#23 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

I do remember Phillips' quote about not wanting to 'duplicate' the position, meaning since they had Hundley they didn't want a catcher, but as it turned out Hundley was finished as a big time player anyway.

The real funny part is none of the guys we gave up turned out to be anything anyway, though I forget if Preston Wilson was part of the deal or another Marlins trade.

I remember Hundley being hurt too...I think their catchers were Tim Spehr and Alberto Castillo to start the season. Francesca kept hammering home the point that Piazza was a massive upgrade over Hundley.

The worst was when they tried to put Hundley in left field after he got healthy, and a ball went right over his glove...the next day, the backpage headline in the NYP read "Clod Hundley".

The guy who was supposed to be a big part of that deal was Ed Yarnall...he was 7-0 with an 0.26 ERA (not a misprint) in AA at the time of the trade. He did make it to the majors (played for the Yankees as well), but never did much.

Yeah, trade was definitely an ultimate win...Mets fans were openly turning their backs on the team before that deal was made.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#24 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

According to the Mets' facebook page, Citi Field's new wall will be blue. I say, "good." It didn't have to be blue (didn't Shea have a green wall once upon a time?), but a little team theme-ing in our own building wouldn't hurt.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#25 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,143 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

I was reading an article on DRaysBay (SB Nation Rays' blog) the other day in which they put together a list of their 2011 pitchers and their pitches that caused the most swing and misses. So yeah, I'm stealing the idea from them, and I thought it would be cool post here. We aren't dealing with anything too advanced here, simply our pitchers' pitches that generated the highest whiffs per swing; or in other words, the nastiest pitches among the 2011 pitching staff. So let's check it out, broken down by starters and relievers, and sorted highest to lowest.

2011 Starting Pitchers (min. 100 IP)
PITCHER, PITCH TYPE, WHIFF/SWING%
1. Capuano, changeup, 39.57%
2. Gee, changeup, 36.55%
3. Gee, curveball, 34.88%
4. Capuano, slider, 33.00%
5. Niese, curveball, 26.98%

2011 Relief Pitchers (min. 30 IP)
PITCHER, PITCH TYPE, WHIFF/SWING%
1. K-Rod, changeup, 51.66%
2. Acosta, slider, 43.52%
3. Parnell, slider, 40.48%
4. K-Rod, curveball, 36.73%
5. Byrdak, slider, 34.76%

Other observations/thoughts:
- Mike Pelfrey's sinker was the un-whiffiest pitch among ALL pitches on the entire staff.

- K-Rod's changeup is ridiculous; a whiff for every other swing on it? That's incredible. I did not expect K-Rod's curve to rank that highly either.

- Acosta's slider was excellent; that's another I did not see ranking that highly.

- Gee's curveball may be the biggest surprise on the starter's group; he only threw 10% of the time, but it clearly induced a good amount of swings and misses. Jeremy Hellickson's curve was eerily similar in this department, as he threw it just 11% of the time bot got a whiff per swing on it 34.43% of the time. Like Hellickson, it appears as if Gee has 2 good swing and miss offerings in the curve and changeup, further boosting my confidence that his strikeout rate will go up.

- Guess who had the whiffiest fastball? D.J. Carrasco. Yes, seriously. Byrdak was 2nd, Igarashi 3rd. For starters, Gee had the whiffiest fastball.

- Dickey's knuckleball had a swing and miss rate of 20.08%; his changeup (yes, he threw one) was over 30% but I did not include it since he threw it less than 5% of the time.

- Best slider among starters? Chris Capuano.

- I miss Chris Capuano.

How do some newcomers look?
- Francisco's best swing and miss pitch (in 2011) was his splitter, coming in at just under 33%. He also induced a swing and miss rate of 23.60% on his heater, not bad for a guy who threw his fastball a hair under 70% of the time.

- Rauch threw 5 different pitches last season but it was easily his curveball that was his whiffiest pitch at 33.33%, but he only threw it 8% of the time. Rauch depends most heavily on his slider as his go-to offspeed pitch, but he saw his whiff/swing rate on that pitch drop from 28.87% in 2010 to just 19.83% in 2011.

- Ramon Ramirez is good at missing bats. His slider whiff/swing rate came in at nearly 41% while his changeup came in at 35.71%.

Anyway, that's all I have. It'll be interesting to track some of these whiff rates in 2012, but that's just some perspective on which pitches were the nastiest in 2011 among (some former and some current) Mets.

** All data is from Brooksbaseball.net, which is shaping up to be the best resource for PFX data on the internet. **

Edited by nmigliore, 12 March 2012 - 10:50 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#26 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,143 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

The Wilpons and Picard agreed on a settlement for $162M, due to be paid over the next three years. This is great news for the Wilpons; it's still a lot of money but they have some time to pay and it's much less than what the lawsuit sought ($386M). Another huge aspect is the Wilpons will receive back money as part of being victims of Madoff and that could pay almost the entirety of what they owe.

They still face debt problems, but this is huge news for them.

Edited by nmigliore, 19 March 2012 - 09:19 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#27 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,937 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

And it sounds like the Wilpons vs. Picard is finally over, apparently they've reached a settlement where the Wilpons have to pay between $80 and 162 million, but they don't have to start paying it for 3 1/2 years, which gives them time to settle all their other debts I suppose.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#28 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,143 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

(double post)

Edited by nmigliore, 19 March 2012 - 09:21 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#29 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,143 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

Adam Rubin ‏ @AdamRubinESPN Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
And because the Wilpons will be able to recover money from loser fund, their out-of-pocket expenses should be fraction of actual settlement.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#30 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

Well, I guess that went as well as one could expect.

On another note, wow does Pelfrey look bad so far. Yikes yikes double yikes...
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#31 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,937 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

I know the Mets have no viable options right now, but honestly what's it going to take for them to stop running Pelfrey out there by rote? He's going to be this year's Ollie.

#32 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,143 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

If he can keep a few more balls in the yard, he should be an okay 5th starter. Thankfully, he's just an innings-eating rotation filler for another year or two and not a long-term piece. Frankly, if he struggles as much as he did last year, he probably won't even be tendered a contract for next season, setting him free a year earlier.

I'd like to see the Mets add another starter for depth, like Joel Pineiro who was just released by the Phillies. Chris Schwinden is okay as a 6th starter but then you're looking at someone like Jeremy Hefner as your 7th starting option; bleh.

Edited by nmigliore, 20 March 2012 - 10:55 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#33 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

And it sounds like the Wilpons vs. Picard is finally over, apparently they've reached a settlement where the Wilpons have to pay between $80 and 162 million, but they don't have to start paying it for 3 1/2 years, which gives them time to settle all their other debts I suppose.

What's funny is that I guess so many people had made up their minds that the Katz-Wilpons had to go, that most Mets fans I know have greeted this settlement with groans. I think it will help the team be better sooner though. The Dodgers situation took so long just to reach where it is now. I would much rather the team get firm footing so they can either just proceed or sell quickly (though I don't expect that to happen for a long while now).

Hopefully Matt Harvey will make some big strides towards the majors this year.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#34 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:49 AM

Always a positive of having a sucky team: cheap tickets

#35 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

What's funny is that I guess so many people had made up their minds that the Katz-Wilpons had to go, that most Mets fans I know have greeted this settlement with groans. I think it will help the team be better sooner though. The Dodgers situation took so long just to reach where it is now. I would much rather the team get firm footing so they can either just proceed or sell quickly (though I don't expect that to happen for a long while now).

Hopefully Matt Harvey will make some big strides towards the majors this year.

I despise the Wilpons for a lot of reasons, the main one that they constantly come off as clueless and amateur and out of touch with their fanbase, but mostly because they have stripped much of the joy and pride out of being a Mets fan...the embarassing moments never seem to end. But they're not going anywhere. So all we can do is hope they at least have resources in place to put a decent product on the field.

#30 FOREVER!

#36 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,937 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

Always a positive of having a sucky team: cheap tickets

We really should have an NJDevs group outing at a Mets game one of these years lol...CR, lol, 7, you and whoever else posts here on a fairly regular basis. God knows this year we could probably get 50-60 tickets together let alone five or six :P

Generally I don't want to think about going to Mets games until after the Devil season is over...I don't know why, other than Opening Day I can't really get into baseball much until then enough to go. I do plan on making a handful of trips out there anyway this year.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 28 March 2012 - 02:32 PM.

#37 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

We really should have an NJDevs group outing at a Mets game one of these years lol...CR, lol, 7, you and whoever else posts here on a fairly regular basis. God knows this year we could probably get 50-60 tickets together let alone five or six :P

Generally I don't want to think about going to Mets games until after the Devil season is over...I don't know why, other than Opening Day I can't really get into baseball much until then enough to go. I do plan on making a handful of trips out there anyway this year.

I'd be in...seriously. I'd be fun to put faces to all of these screennames.

#30 FOREVER!

#38 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,937 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

I'd be in...seriously. I'd be fun to put faces to all of these screennames.

Generally Fridays or weekend afternoons are what works best for me (I suspect the same would be true of most of us)...we could organize it in PM or here depending on how many people would do it. I don't want to start a PM yet cause I'm worried I'll miss a couple people lol.

#39 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

Generally Fridays or weekend afternoons are what works best for me (I suspect the same would be true of most of us)...we could organize it in PM or here depending on how many people would do it. I don't want to start a PM yet cause I'm worried I'll miss a couple people lol.

Yeah, same here...weekdays are brutal for sure. But yeah, anybody who wants in...we can figure out a day without too much trouble, as sellouts are going to be few and far between...

#30 FOREVER!

#40 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,143 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

(Edit: double post, see next page)

Edited by nmigliore, 28 March 2012 - 03:00 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users