2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup (soccer) USA men in the final

Satans Hockey

I figured I'd make a new thread since some people may not know this starts today.

Today is the opening game in Seattle for USA and they take on Grenada. Pre-game starts at 8:30 and the game starts at 9 on Fox Soccer Channel.

LETS GO USA!!! Hopefully they bounce back well from last Sundays disaster.

Edited by Satans Hockey

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a cup USA should win or are there upper echelon soccer countries in it like the previous cup?

It's the CONCACAF (the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football) main tournament. It started back in 63 than known as the CONCACAF Championship. In 91 they changed it to the CONCACAF Gold Cup and USA and Mexico have both won 4 times since than, Canada won once. We also have won the last 2 and there is really no reason we shouldn't win this one.

I figured I'd make a new thread since some people may not know this starts today.

Today is the opening game in Seattle for USA and they take on Grenada. Pre-game starts at 8:30 and the game starts at 9 on Fox Soccer Channel.

LETS GO USA!!! Hopefully they bounce back well from last Sundays disaster.

Here is a quick overview for you

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story...=us&cc=5901

It's the CONCACAF (the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football) main tournament. It started back in 63 than known as the CONCACAF Championship. In 91 they changed it to the CONCACAF Gold Cup and USA and Mexico have both won 4 times since than, Canada won once. We also have won the last 2 and there is really no reason we shouldn't win this one.

even with our B team?

even with our B team?

Mexico is on a mission to win this cup. Although they are also fielding a B team (no players playing in europe) they must overcome recent disasters including the firing of the highly touted sg ericksen. Their new manager has circled this tourney as a step back into area supremacy. USA is on track with a showdown with Mexico but this is only a warm up to their true clash on Aug 12 where they will meet in mexico city for the next round of world cup qualifiers. A US win, will be devastating to Mexico chances, who is currently on the outside looking in.

So to answer to your original question, it wont be easy with our B team.

We picked up a nice 4-0 win over Grenada. We play Honduras at 9pm tonight on FSC.

Stupid FSC! I don't get that channel so I missed the first game and will miss the next one as well...unless I succeed in finding it on the internet this time.

Stupid FSC! I don't get that channel so I missed the first game and will miss the next one as well...unless I succeed in finding it on the internet this time.

Its on telefutura too 404 Directv (you get the added bonus of Gol Gol Gol Goooooooooooooool)

I'll bet you can find a stream over on justin.tv and if you can't find it there, you'll find a link on there.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Philly to support the U.S. in the quarterfinals. Lincoln Financial Field is really nice, esp. when you go to Giants Stadium two days before that to watch a Red Bulls game. :P Wish I could go tomorrow but I'll be stuck at work. Whoever's lucky enough to go, cheer extra loud for the U.S. The players deserve the support and it's too bad it'll be more of a road game for them tomorrow.

Today doesn't really matter except pride.

Beating them in Mexico City, I believe August 12th, would almost be a death blow to their World Cup hopes.

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME.

That's a tough one Jimmy, around 100,000 in the Azteca stadium yelling "puto" every time the US goalie (be it Keller or whoever gets the call in goal for the US) takes a goal kick. Very hostile environment.

If they pull it off it will really give the US a ton of confidence going to SA.