Brodeur

Fred Garvin

lol that is a very convenient year to pick since we both know they were a different team from 99-2000 and 2000-01 season. They didn't play the trap much under Ftorek and lead the league in scoring one of those years.

I was talking the 90's. 95-96 season to 98-99 to be exact. Just looking at his shots against total in 2000-01 season to let's say 97-98 (where he had a less than 2.00 GAA) it was 1762 to 1569.

In 97-98 he averaged 24.4 shots against per game. In 99-2000 he faces 25 a game. The next season it was 24.5. Those all seem about average.

I should add, this year i also 24.4 so far.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

If this year isn't enough to prove that Brodeur isn't a product of the trap, check out 07-08 or 09-10. People just need to stop already and accept that he is a great goalie.

As for Lundqvist, tell me when he's done 11 straight seasons of 35 plus wins without car doors on his legs and shootouts.

Brodeur is def a great goalie no question about it.

In a few decades from now I really do believe people looking back in hockey history (outside of Rangerland) will state that overall Brodeur is a better goalie and had a better career than the Queen.

We really are very lucky to have had Brodeur and as long as we did. I just feel he had a bit of help too.

In 97-98 he averaged 24.4 shots against per game. In 99-2000 he faces 25 a game. The next season it was 24.5. Those all seem about average.

In 97-98 he had 1569 SA in 70 games for 22.4 shot against per game.

In 99-2000 he had 1797 SA in 72 games for 25 shots against per game.

In 2000-01 he had 1762 SA in 72 games for 24.5 shots against per game.

Almost 3 shots per game increase you are going to feel it.

Yeah, except the Queen's had the shootout to help pad his 30-win seasons.

And I know, I know that goes for Brodeur as well (to a much lesser extent obviously).

But I'd bet he wouldn't have touched 30-wins each of those 7 years without the shootouts.

Lundqvist wins per season:

05-06: 30

06-07: 37

07-08: 37

08-09: 38

09-10: 35

10-11: 36

11-12: 31 (so far)

Lundqvist non-shootout wins per season:

05-06: 26

06-07: 29

07-08: 31

08-09: 29

09-10: 32

10-11: 29

11-12: 28 (so far)

as much as i hate to say it:

Henrik Lundqvist 49GP 31wins .937SV% 1.84GAA

"Lundsanity"

Lundqvist is now the only goaltender in the history of hockey to win 30 games in each of his first seven NHL seasons.

He is a great keeper. He just needs to do it for 10 more years....

At the same point in their careers they are very similar (save for the silver Hardware!)

approx 450-460 GP

244 wins each

Lundqvist has 25 more losses, which may have been ties for Brodeur...

Brodeur has about 65 less goals against.

Lundqvist wins per season:

05-06: 30

06-07: 37

07-08: 37

08-09: 38

09-10: 35

10-11: 36

11-12: 31 (so far)

Lundqvist non-shootout wins per season:

05-06: 26

06-07: 29

07-08: 31

08-09: 29

09-10: 32

10-11: 29

11-12: 28 (so far)

Wow lol it just proves how much the shootout has helped the Queen's numbers.

Funny I bet when you point this out to Rags fans they will say that it helped Marty too. Nevermind the fact that 2/3 to 3/4 of his career was when ties still counted while Lundqvist has never had a tie ever.

Okay again why do we have to compare marty to hank??? :argh:

Come on stop they are two different goalies. Just enjoy some great hockey between two great goalies. Thought i hope the queen has his knee rip apart. :whistling:

lol that is a very convenient year to pick since we both know they were a different team from 99-2000 and 2000-01 season. They didn't play the trap much under Ftorek and lead the league in scoring one of those years.

I was talking the 90's. 95-96 season to 98-99 to be exact. Just looking at his shots against total in 2000-01 season to let's say 97-98 (where he had a less than 2.00 GAA) it was 1762 to 1569.

My point was more the "most nights" thing simply not being accurate...I would take "most nights" to mean a majority of the time, meaning 70% or so. I've heard "experts" say things (with regards to Brodeur) like "Well, when you're only facing 13 shots a game"...it's the exaggeration of how "easy" Brodeur had it throughout his career that I don't like.

as much as i hate to say it:

Henrik Lundqvist 49GP 31wins .937SV% 1.84GAA

"Lundsanity"

Lundqvist is now the only goaltender in the history of hockey to win 30 games in each of his first seven NHL seasons.

If Brodeur had played more his rookie season, and the lockout hadn't make 94-95 half a season, the same would probably have been true for him.

As it stands, there's only 4 years in his career where he didn't win 30 - Rookie year, 94-95, The Clemmensen year, and last season.

Also - if the majority of people on this forum don't want new posters, it would be a lot less of a dick move to just shut down new registrations than being complete jerks to the new people. You don't own the internet, get over yourselves.

• Like 1

My point was more the "most nights" thing simply not being accurate...I would take "most nights" to mean a majority of the time, meaning 70% or so. I've heard "experts" say things (with regards to Brodeur) like "Well, when you're only facing 13 shots a game"...it's the exaggeration of how "easy" Brodeur had it throughout his career that I don't like.

True if they are saying 13 shots then it is a big exaggeration. But the point is he did face less shots then.

And is it true Marty got his 650th career win last night? I thought he got his 649th and needed 1 more.

Regardless, that is still pretty cool that he almost has 100 more than Roy (unless you don't count the shootout wins).

If Brodeur had played more his rookie season, and the lockout hadn't make 94-95 half a season, the same would probably have been true for him.

As it stands, there's only 4 years in his career where he didn't win 30 - Rookie year, 94-95, The Clemmensen year, and last season.

Also - if the majority of people on this forum don't want new posters, it would be a lot less of a dick move to just shut down new registrations than being complete jerks to the new people. You don't own the internet, get over yourselves.

+1.

I'd rather see a post/thread like this from a newbie than from a newbie who wants to act tough right away to somehow show how cool he is. We seem to get a bit of the latter lately.

True if they are saying 13 shots then it is a big exaggeration. But the point is he did face less shots then.

And is it true Marty got his 650th career win last night? I thought he got his 649th and needed 1 more.

Regardless, that is still pretty cool that he almost has 100 more than Roy (unless you don't count the shootout wins).

He's at 649, 40 of which came by shootout. Lundqvist also has 40 career shootout wins. Marty is 40-20, Lundqvist is 40-27.

+1.

I'd rather see a post/thread like this from a newbie than from a newbie who wants to act tough right away to somehow show how cool he is. We seem to get a bit of the latter lately.

In fairness, it was only one guy jumping on him. Everyone else is discussing.

He's at 649, 40 of which came by shootout. Lundqvist also has 40 career shootout wins. Marty is 40-20, Lundqvist is 40-27.

I thought it was at 649 too. There is a poll on the Devils Facebook page asking fans what their favorite stat was from last night and the leading one is Marty getting 650 wins.

I'm going to avoid the Marty vs. Hank debate because I think it's a useless argument, and my 100% completely biased opinion will always state that Marty is the greatest goaltender of all time. There are many factors that go beyond simple stats that make me believe this.

I just wanted to thank the OP for his post; I did not know these stats, and I stopped and even read them aloud to my friend who I was with. Even she, who is not that into hockey (don't worry I am converting her :) ) said, "holy sh!t."

Regardless of what you think of him now, or what direction we should head in... If you've been a fan of this team, whether you've been there since 82' or been there since the 2000's... I think we can all agree we've been pretty lucky.

• Like 1

To add to the general Brodeur discussion, his stats since the All Star break have been outstanding.

10-5-1, 1 SO

.924 Sv%

1.92 GAA

And he looks great, too. I thought last night was one of his best-looking starts. He was very fluid in net. Marty was always a very fluid goalie when he was on his game, as opposed to the majority of goalies today who are very robotic and clunky in their movement. His confidence must be soaring right now.

To add to the general Brodeur discussion, his stats since the All Star break have been outstanding.

10-5-1, 1 SO

.924 Sv%

1.92 GAA

And he looks great, too. I thought last night was one of his best-looking starts. He was very fluid in net. Marty was always a very fluid goalie when he was on his game, as opposed to the majority of goalies today who are very robotic and clunky in their movement. His confidence must be soaring right now.

Even without the stats you can see his confidence is much higher than it was earlier in the season. He is flopping around less on scrambles and the number of soft goals he gives up has dwindled significantly.

I just really hope he is not gassed by the time playoffs come by since this is a packed month and he is not exactly a spring chicken.

Edited by DevsMan84

Yeah, except the Queen's had the shootout to help pad pads help his 30-win seasons.

And I know, I know that goes for Brodeur as well (to a much lesser extent obviously).

But I'd bet he wouldn't have touched 30-wins each of those 7 years without the shootouts.

Fixed. :giggle:

• Like 2

Ya and Henrik has zero 40 win seasons compared to Brodeur's eight. I really hate that 30 win seasons stat.

he's at 31 wins right now, so he might get 40 this year...but it's no lock, with 16 games remaining, let's say he plays 12 of those, the rags have to go 9-3 in those games, it's possible..but not automatic as they have been in a scoring drought lately.

Edited by hargsy

Which is the better goalie and record:

Bryzgalov 47 47 2.65 26 13 6 .905

Brodeur 47 47 2.46 24 17 3 .905

who do you want in net ?

Bryzgalov has been sub-par all year. Brodeur had a tough start to the season, but has been much better in the 2nd half, especially from Feb-now. I'd like to see what Bryz's stats look like through that time. I bet their not nearly as good as Marty's, so I'd pick Marty, seeing as for the past month or so, he's been great.

Which is the better goalie and record:

Bryzgalov 47 47 2.65 26 13 6 .905

Brodeur 47 47 2.46 24 17 3 .905

who do you want in net ?

Marty, easily. He's been around the block once or twice, or shall we say three or four times. Bryz is as awkward as they come, who wants a goalie who doesn't mind sitting when the coach says? One thing Marty's got going for him is that he will always be a competitor.

right i hear all that, im not comparing the two, that being said:

Post Lockout Playoffs

Marty 37GP 15/22 2.656 .908%

Hanky 35GP 15/20 2.60 .909%

my #'s have been suspect and the stat is somewhat meaningless i admit

i dont have to ask who youd rather have in net do i?

and that was always my point, whether it be marty of old or an old marty, ill take either one; lucky for us, he is good ol' marty

if they decide moose is in net i am 100% moose

Edited by lazer