Should the New Jersey Devils Consider Going After Alexander Semin?

NewarkDevil5

Flyers are trying to complete their fat chick at prom trilogy and get denied by all available free agents this summer, and they don't even have a great personality.

Then they'll sign some classless goons and call it "Just going with our friends."

Don't know if its been said in here yet, but semin is apparently asking for 7 mil a year. I wouldn't be upset with that salary number, if it was a short 3-4 year deal, don't know about you guys.

Financial issues aside, I could live with something close to 3 years/$21 million.

That puts us right around where you could expect the cap to be after the new CBA, and that's without taking into consideration the net cap savings we might get as a result of trading a defenseman. While Henrique, Zajac (if we can keep him), and maybe Clarkson are due for raises next year, that should be roughly offset by the loss of Zidlicky's cap hit plus the lower cap hits that we'll probably have for Elias and Zubrus.

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Zubrus

Elias-Henrique-Sykora

Tedenby-Josefson-Clarkson

Carter-Gionta-Bernier

If the Devils don't get Semin or trade for a top 6 winger I am expecting this to be the opening night lineup. I'd think if we make no other moves - Skykora will be back due to the contract. That's not that great considering Elias and Sykora would have to keep up with Henrique but it's much better then having to see Barch in the lineup as some have suggested. The thought of Barch on the fourth line for the foreseeable future scares me. Also, I have no clue why PDB would break up the chemistry of CBGB.

Edited by TheMazz

Well if the 4th line is more than just a fluke, that lineup wouldn't be terrible. At least I would feel very good about the lines defensivley. The only question mark would be the 3rd line, I dont really know how good josefson and tedenby are defensivley.

On offense, I think a line of kovy/zajac/zubrus has the potential to put up alot of points, but I don't expect sykora to have a 20 point goal season, and I don't expect elias to have a repeat of last season either. Really for us to be succesful with that lineup, the 3rd line needs to be a regular scorer, I just don't see us getting anything but spotty/streaky goals out of the 2nd line. And while our 4th line was great in the playoffs, I don't see them being consistant scorers in the regular season.

The bottom half of our top 6 is going to lack scoring imo, that has me a little worried. Henrique is a great playmaker in the making, but I don't see him as a go to goal scorer, and the age of the line is going to take its toll over the course of the season. Bottom line is, something needs to be done. I don't think we need a parise caliber player to get back into the swing of things, but we def need more scoring. I mean the one thing this team really lacked is goal scoring, I mean I know we actually scored more than the average team this year, but our goals felt so hard earned, half the team shoots into the goalies pads. We need some guy that can beat the goalie on a wrister, we need semin. I think with a guy like semin, playing with 100percent effort, we are a better team than the one we had last season.

That was ranty and a bit disorganized but those are my views :D

I have no clue why PDB would break up the chemistry of CBGB.

The regular season is not the playoffs. Anyone expecting CBGB together all year long is mistaken IMO. Barch will be playing some and if we don't sign anyone else, I expect to see guys like Bernier or Carter getting time on a higher line. There will be injuries throughout the year and that will change things up at times as well.

I expect to see Clarkson on the 2nd or 1st line a lot this coming season unless someone like Semin was brought on and even if Sykora is re-signed.

I expect to see Clarkson on the 2nd or 1st line a lot this coming season unless someone like Semin was brought on and even if Sykora is re-signed.

This exact scenario scares the sh!t out of me. Clarkaround is a good 3rd line player but, let's be honest, he can't skate and has no business being on a 1st or 2nd line. He protects the puck well along the boards, isn't afraid to go to the net and bang in rebounds, throws a few good hits, and scored some of the luckiest goals last season. However, his skill set is extremely limited and it wasn't until last season tht he figured out you can get a shot on goal without trying a wrap around.

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Zubrus

Elias-Henrique-Sykora

Tedenby-Josefson-Clarkson

Carter-Gionta-Bernier

If the Devils don't get Semin or trade for a top 6 winger I am expecting this to be the opening night lineup. I'd think if we make no other moves - Skykora will be back due to the contract. That's not that great considering Elias and Sykora would have to keep up with Henrique but it's much better then having to see Barch in the lineup as some have suggested. The thought of Barch on the fourth line for the foreseeable future scares me. Also, I have no clue why PDB would break up the chemistry of CBGB.

I would like to see:

Kovy-Henrique-Zubrus

Elias-Zajac-Clarkie

Tedenby-Josefson-Sykora

CBGB

Or some variation resembling that...

I would like to see Kovy, Henrique and Elias all on the same one, but that severely weakens the 2nd line....

Signing Semin would make me alot more optimistic about our crop of forwards...

This exact scenario scares the sh!t out of me. Clarkaround is a good 3rd line player but, let's be honest, he can't skate and has no business being on a 1st or 2nd line. He protects the puck well along the boards, isn't afraid to go to the net and bang in rebounds, throws a few good hits, and scored some of the luckiest goals last season. However, his skill set is extremely limited and it wasn't until last season tht he figured out you can get a shot on goal without trying a wrap around.

I agree that it's far from ideal, but I don't think this is a big problem in and of itself. Clarkson isn't going to score 30 again, but it wouldn't be odd to me if he scored 20 given that role. The problem is that if there are any injuries, right now as constituted the Devils have nothing. They don't have anyone in the minors who looks like he can play. I trust this will change, but when Lou mentioned players from the 4th line playing on higher lines, it made me scared that it won't.

not that it means much or anything but Єklund (2.3% accurate) has devils as front runners for semin and it being between just devs and pitt. but 2.3% so take it for what its worth