Playing Lou

Triumph

this is simply a blatant untruth and makes me wonder what team you watched in 2007-08.

I've said this before...the 2007-2008 team was one that I was most removed from personally. I watched about two games all season, so please fill me in. If I am mistaken, I apologize, but Zajac still had the chemistry of playing with the same guys all season this year. I think everything else I wrote is fair though.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey tri this is OT but it seems like this whole thread jumps around a lot so i'll post it anyway. I'm trying to get into more extensive stats but I'm not exactly sure which ones more important and which ones look it but really don't make a difference. One thing I was looking at was shooting% for defensemen. For example I look at Dion Phaneuf. 11 goals last year looks very nice but taking 277 shots last year (3.5pg) and a S% of 4.0 ranking him 71st for defensemen total. There's a lot you don't see looking at the plain old stats. 2 people I was very impressed with were, Zidlicky and Aucoin. They didn't rack up a ton of shots but they both had very respectable S%. Campoli is 3 overall and makes you shake your head if your an isles fan, what were they thinking? Kubina is up there too. I was thinking about how Zidlicky would fit here ever since his Nashville days. One year left at 3.5M, think Rafi at half price but better defensively. With a rebuilding Wild, he's worth an inquire.

NHL.com has this interactive page where I found these stats. Very nice

I was surprised the Devils didn't go after Zidlicky (Minnesota paid 2nd + Ryan Jones), and for that matter, Visnovsky (Los Angeles dealt Stoll + Greene), last summer. Zidlicky is not better than Rafalski defensively, however.

Typically it's a sign of a flukeyness if players have a year where their S% is out of whack with their career average.

I think krecji is definitely a superior offensive player to Zajac. There's not much question about it. However Zajac's all-around game is really rare. I hope he gives Lou a slight break and takes $3M on a long-term contract.

First to put it short; the three most important tasks during the summer are (stating the obvious):

1) Re-sign Zajac and Oduya

2) strengthen defense

3) Promote new faces, first and foremost Corrente and Bergfors

4) look at a center for 2nd/3rd line, if possible

Ummmmm... that is 4 things.

Sorry for paying attention!

hey tri this is OT but it seems like this whole thread jumps around a lot so i'll post it anyway. I'm trying to get into more extensive stats but I'm not exactly sure which ones more important and which ones look it but really don't make a difference. One thing I was looking at was shooting% for defensemen. For example I look at Dion Phaneuf. 11 goals last year looks very nice but taking 277 shots last year (3.5pg) and a S% of 4.0 ranking him 71st for defensemen total. There's a lot you don't see looking at the plain old stats. 2 people I was very impressed with were, Zidlicky and Aucoin. They didn't rack up a ton of shots but they both had very respectable S%. Campoli is 3 overall and makes you shake your head if your an isles fan, what were they thinking? Kubina is up there too. I was thinking about how Zidlicky would fit here ever since his Nashville days. One year left at 3.5M, think Rafi at half price but better defensively. With a rebuilding Wild, he's worth an inquire.

NHL.com has this interactive page where I found these stats. Very nice

i don't think that dion phaneuf can have as bad a shooting percentage as he did last season. he takes too many shots and a lot of them are low percentage but he gets an absolute ton of power play time also and that shot of his is quite good. if i were in a fantasy league, i'd draft phaneuf a little higher - i expect him to score between 15 and 20 goals next season. shooting percentage is kind of a 'skill' - but as voros says, when a shooting percentage is way out of whack with the rest of a player's career, it may indicate that next season it will come closer to his career average.

zidlicky and visnovsky are offensemen and i know lou doesn't like those players - and he certainly didn't have pieces like stoll and greene to deal for visnovsky. zidlicky puts up solid numbers but iirc nashville barely used him in the playoffs (on looking it up, this happened in 2005-06 when he might've been hurt). he's a double-edged sword, and we've seen that lou will prefer a dull knife to one of these types of players.