Lou 20 Minute Q&A

msweet

Classic Lou Speak:

Lamoriello: “I think whatever changes you make have to be for the better. So whenever you can get better, you make changes. If we can make the right changes to get better, we certainly will. As far as have to … You’d like to do a lot of things, but you might not be able to. So we’ll do the best we can to make us better.”

Q: Who’s going to win the Cup?

Lamoriello: “Oh, God. I don’t know what I’m going to eat tomorrow morning. There’s going to be some good teams out in the first round, for sure, with the matchups.”

Q: What kind of job do you think DeBoer do this season?

Lamoriello: “None of us did a good job. We’re not in the playoffs. But is it Pete’s fault? No. But we’re not in the playoffs. So we all have to take responsibility.”

Q: Why was it the right decision to bring DeBoer back?

Lamoriello: “First of all, he’s under contract. Secondly, I didn’t think there was a reason to make a change. So for me to get into my reasons, why and why not, I think it’s very unfair. There are certain things you keep between your own ears.”

Q: Do decisions need to be made on the assistant coaches, or are all of them returning, as well?

Lamoriello: “I have every intention of having the staff be intact.”

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/04/devils_gm_lou_lamoriello_gives_state_of_team_discusses_his_future_and_more_in_20-minute_qa.html

I actually welcome Lou speak as sometimes we'd all like to have him say more. It's somewhat refreshing. I have no doubt he does everything the right way. I'm very excited that this offseason he has the financial security to do what he wants, he has the D-depth to make a big trade, and he has time on his hands. Let's see.

I actually welcome Lou speak as sometimes we'd all like to have him say more. It's somewhat refreshing. I have no doubt he does everything the right way. I'm very excited that this offseason he has the financial security to do what he wants, he has the D-depth to make a big trade, and he has time on his hands. Let's see.

I keep hearing all this talk about financial freedom or "security" as you put it.  Couldn't be further from the truth in the slightest.  We have stable ownership (for now as long as they are interested in being owners).  That doesn't mean the team is flush to spend and based on how reckless Lou has been with contracts lately, I don't see any real boon here for us in FA and that may not be a bad thing and force Lou to make necessary decisions on the roster and go the trade route.

If fans are so insistent on bringing Zidlicky and Jagr back, that pretty much eats away at whatever free money was there for next year unless you can dump Ryder.  People forget we tacked on about 3m or so in Ruutu which eats away at most of the savings we'd have from Brodeur leaving.  Devils cannot spend close to the cap and won't be for years to come.  It's just reality.

I hope Lou writes a tell-all book when he retires. It would be maybe the best hockey book ever written lol.

"Status Quo and Jelly Jam: A New Jersey Story."

Pg. 1: "I was born in the upper body of America in a year in the 1900's, to my mother and father. I believe my name is Louis, though nothing is finalized on that front yet. My mother was my mom and my father was my dad. Some of the kids at school, which I am not willing to say much about, were my friends and some of the kids were not. As I got older, I aged.  I played many sports as a kid, but that's all I am willing to discuss on that subject...."

• Like 7

the whole coaching staff back again next year ughh... no offense to stevens but i just dont know about him as a D coach

Two seasons as the best shot defense team in the league. I know it's a testament to our players and the system but he's not hurting us at the moment.
  • Like 1

I keep hearing all this talk about financial freedom or "security" as you put it.  Couldn't be further from the truth in the slightest.  We have stable ownership (for now as long as they are interested in being owners).  That doesn't mean the team is flush to spend and based on how reckless Lou has been with contracts lately, I don't see any real boon here for us in FA and that may not be a bad thing and force Lou to make necessary decisions on the roster and go the trade route.

If fans are so insistent on bringing Zidlicky and Jagr back, that pretty much eats away at whatever free money was there for next year unless you can dump Ryder.  People forget we tacked on about 3m or so in Ruutu which eats away at most of the savings we'd have from Brodeur leaving.  Devils cannot spend close to the cap and won't be for years to come.  It's just reality.

The Ruutu trade, taking on as much salary as it did, suggests that the Devils will be spending - maybe not up to the cap, but certainly more than they did if things had continued under Vanderbeek.  I mean you can't on the one hand say that NJ won't be spending then point out that the Ruutu deal eats up that potential room.

According to Cap Geek:

Next year's cap:  $71,100,000

Current 2014-15 payroll:  $50,595,834

Cap space available:  $20,564,166

UFA (8):  Brodeur, Jagr, Carter, S Gionta, Bernier, Sislo, Zidlicky, Fayne

RFA (3):  Josefson, Larsson, Gelinas (he is not listed on the Cap Geek roster for some reason)

Get the feeling Lou will not only try to lock up Schneider, but Greene as well, before they both go UFA. 

I'd love to see Lou somehow unload any three of Ryder, Zubrus, Ruutu, Sal, Volchenkov, and Brunner.  Going to be hard to do that though. 

According to Cap Geek:

Next year's cap:  $71,100,000

Current 2014-15 payroll:  $50,595,834

Cap space available:  $20,564,166

UFA (8):  Brodeur, Jagr, Carter, S Gionta, Bernier, Sislo, Zidlicky, Fayne

RFA (3):  Josefson, Larsson, Gelinas (he is not listed on the Cap Geek roster for some reason)

Get the feeling Lou will not only try to lock up Schneider, but Greene as well, before they both go UFA. 

I'd love to see Lou somehow unload any three of Ryder, Zubrus, Ruutu, Sal, Volchenkov, and Brunner.  Going to be hard to do that though. 

I'd like to see all 6 go. Is that so wrong? Okay keep Zubrus around for 4th line minutes. All these players are still tradeable to me.

That's awesome.

"Status Quo and Jelly Jam: A New Jersey Story."

Pg. 1: "I was born in the upper body of America in a year in the 1900's, to my mother and father. I believe my name is Louis, though nothing is finalized on that front yet. My mother was my mom and my father was my dad. Some of the kids at school, which I am not willing to say much about, were my friends and some of the kids were not. As I got older, I aged.  I played many sports as a kid, but that's all I am willing to discuss on that subject...."

The Ruutu trade, taking on as much salary as it did, suggests that the Devils will be spending - maybe not up to the cap, but certainly more than they did if things had continued under Vanderbeek. I mean you can't on the one hand say that NJ won't be spending then point out that the Ruutu deal eats up that potential room.

Well they have to spend.

The money allocated to Ruutu is spending but it's coming from a pie that will be smaller than people think and you yourself has said this since the new ownership came in and that now that money can't go towards other targeted needs. Ruutu is a limited redundant piece who is a huge question mark health wise and production wise.

Well they have to spend.

The money allocated to Ruutu is spending but it's coming from a pie that will be smaller than people think and you yourself has said this since the new ownership came in and that now that money can't go towards other targeted needs. Ruutu is a limited redundant piece who is a huge question mark health wise and production wise.

Who might the Devils be plausibly targeting that they won't have the cap space or real money for?  The Devils could afford to wildly overpay for someone like Stastny, especially if they let one or both of Salvador (who is easily tradeable) or Volchenkov go.  If that occurs, the Devils probably get more value on defense, dollar for dollar, than any team in the league. 

And puhlease with the Ruutu hysteria.  He gets paid a little bit more than an average NHL player, at least from a cap perspective. 

Edited by Daniel

Who might the Devils be plausibly targeting that they won't have the cap space or real money for? The Devils could afford to wildly overpay for someone like Stastny, especially if they let one or both of Salvador (who is easily tradeable) or Volchenkov go. If that occurs, the Devils probably get more value on defense, dollar for dollar, than any team in the league.

And puhlease with the Ruutu hysteria. He gets paid a little bit more than an average NHL player, at least from a cap perspective.

Nobody is taking Salvador or Volchenkov. And any buyout still has an a charge and that's money that ownership has to actually pay in real dollars.

This is about roster management and allocation of value in a cap system.

Great that you don't appreciate spending money or how it's spent but I'm sure management and ownership do. Almost 7m in declining grinding types like Zubrus and Ruutu is questionable at best. And don't forget 4 more years and almost 20m to a perpetually concussed Clowe. And your average salary to the Cap comment makes little sense except in a vacuum.

Nobody is taking Salvador or Volchenkov. And any buyout still has an a charge and that's money that ownership has to actually pay in real dollars.

This is about roster management and allocation of value in a cap system.

Great that you don't appreciate spending money or how it's spent but I'm sure management and ownership do. Almost 7m in declining grinding types like Zubrus and Ruutu is questionable at best. And don't forget 4 more years and almost 20m to a perpetually concussed Clowe. And your average salary to the Cap comment makes little sense except in a vacuum.

Salvador is a serviceable NHL defenseman with one year left on a contract at what is an average salary for an NHL defenseman.  If someone was willing to take Tallinder off our hands, they would do the same for Salvador.  Volchenkov can be amnestied, if that's the route Lou wants to go. 

If Clowe is not playing, it means his salary won't count towards the cap, and would be paid by insurance.  When he's on the ice, he's a useful player who is moderately overpaid. 

You can look at a player's value relative to his contract if you want to do some kind of abstract analysis of what player gives you the most bang for the buck.  In real life though, a player's salary only matters to the extent that it prevents a team from making some other plausible roster move.  You have yet to specify what player is out there that the Devils cannot now get because certain players are overpaid. 

Otherwise, none of us has any idea if ownership has an internal budget on salary, and under what circumstances it would be willing to bend if the right player becomes available. 

EDIT:  By way of example, the Wild had one of the worst allocations of salary over the past couple of years in Dany Heatley.  It did not prevent them from getting Parise and Suter, or trading for Pommenville, or doing anything else that they wanted to do.

Edited by Daniel

Salvador is a serviceable NHL defenseman with one year left on a contract at what is an average salary for an NHL defenseman.  If someone was willing to take Tallinder off our hands, they would do the same for Salvador.  Volchenkov can be amnestied, if that's the route Lou wants to go. 

If Clowe is not playing, it means his salary won't count towards the cap, and would be paid by insurance.  When he's on the ice, he's a useful player who is moderately overpaid. 

You can look at a player's value relative to his contract if you want to do some kind of abstract analysis of what player gives you the most bang for the buck.  In real life though, a player's salary only matters to the extent that it prevents a team from making some other plausible roster move.  You have yet to specify what player is out there that the Devils cannot now get because certain players are overpaid. 

Otherwise, none of us has any idea if ownership has an internal budget on salary, and under what circumstances it would be willing to bend if the right player becomes available. 

EDIT:  By way of example, the Wild had one of the worst allocations of salary over the past couple of years in Dany Heatley.  It did not prevent them from getting Parise and Suter, or trading for Pommenville, or doing anything else that they wanted to do.

Thats kind of the point why I wan't salvador or A-Train out. They MAYYY bring something useful once in awhile but guys like Fayne and Greene can take over that role + bring some offence once in awhile.

I want this team to become younger, faster and I want our kids to get more experience. Totally willing to deal with rookies brain farts at time. I did it all season with Gelinas and Merril and it never bothered me.

To me Greene is a better veteran and presence than Sal + plus he had some big moments scoring big goals for us. Needs to play steady

Merril will be really solid, seems like he has all the tools, he simply has to play now and learn in the NHL. Needs to play steady

Gelinas still have some stuff to work on but again he'll learn by playing and gaining confidence. Needs to play steady

Larsson, that poor kid. Was playing 20+ minutes awhile ago and then was rotting in the AHL. I don't think he'll become the top dman we all wanted, i just don't see him having the tools it needs but we'll see. He'll be a solid top 4 dman at the very least. Needs to play steady

Zids bring too much offence and creates so much that we can't let him go yet while we need production desperately. He's really not great defensively but at least he can make plays and get the puck out of the zone. A-Train and Sal can only slap it around the boards or off the glass. Only giving the puck to the other team most of the time. Needs to play steady

Fayne is a perfect top 4 for us IMO, he's still young and can produce once in awhile and can be real solid defensively. Needs to play steady

Harrold... well wtv. I like what he can bring once in awhile. I dont mind him but there's just no room. Perfect 7th guy i guess.

If there's injuries there's a few guys we can call up too it's really not a problem, especially if we already have 7-8 dmen in the NHL, some can take on bigger roles.

bottom line... i honestly don't think Sal or Volch are making us that much better "now" to compensate from not "investing" in our younger guys, which is what our future strength will be. 

Edited by SterioDesign

I'd like to see all 6 go. Is that so wrong? Okay keep Zubrus around for 4th line minutes. All these players are still tradeable to me.

The guys with two seasons left (Zubrus, Volchenkov, and Ruutu) are all probably tough sells.  You're likely getting a similarly unappealing contract in return.

Ryder has the "buy low, possibly solid reward guy" potential.  Some GMs might be interested in Sal as a third-pairing guy, until they see videotape of him.  They probably wish he was $1 million cheaper. 

Not sure what appeal Brunner has to anyone.  He's already 28 and hasn't shown any improvement in his time in the NHL, and was a healthy scratch at times.  Another guy who might have more appeal at $1 million less.   

I'm not sure no one takes Salvador. One team could looking to improve a PK, need a veteran guy who can play 3rd pairing - for one season. It's not crazy[/]

That team must not have any scouting department. I've appreciated Salvador for his toughness but he's pretty much finished. It's not crazy but it's not easy. And doesn't Salvador have a NTC? I doubt he waives and if he does it will be somewhere he wants to go but they may not want him to begin with. It also is tough trying to dump your team Captain. No way Deboer would support this move.

I don't see a Tallinder option for getting rid of Salvador but I guess it's possible.

Edited by coldply123

I'm not sure no one takes Salvador. One team could looking to improve a PK, need a veteran guy who can play 3rd pairing - for one season. It's not crazy[/]

That team must not have any scouting department. I've appreciated Salvador for his toughness but he's pretty much finished. It's not crazy but it's not easy. And doesn't Salvador have a NTC? I doubt he waives and if he does it will be somewhere he wants to go but they may not want him to begin with. It also is tough trying to dump your team Captain. No way Deboer would support this move.

I don't see a Tallinder option for getting rid of Salvador but I guess it's possible.

Salvador does not have an NTC.  DeBoer would have no say over whether he gets traded, and probably wouldn't think it was the end of the world anyway.