This off seasons UFA's and realistic possible trades

2ELIAS6

Maybe its a little early for this but its been too quiet and boring around here lately so.. A lot of scattered talk about possible trades and players that will be ufa's so i figured why not make a thread devoted to all of the possible free agents that will be available that people think would be a good possible sign for the devils..and maybe some trade possibilities but lets keep it realisitic. Just a few to get the thread started that have already taken place here on the board and over on HF.. stastny being a free agent seems like a lot of people want to target this guy but some do not think lou will be willing to throw the money his way which a lot of people seem to be guessing he will get something in the neighborhood of 7.5-8 a year and at a long length contract. A couple of trade talks that ive been seeing a lot of is evander kane from winnipeg and joe thornton ...who would you like to see here what would it take to get them here and how do you think they can help this team? DISCUSS!

Edited by 2ELIAS6

i saw that over there as well... i also saw on hf someone say something about cory schneider not wanting to re-sign here... which im sure is all BS but just the thought of him not signing a new contract makes me wonder what the hell we would do for another goal tender that plays at his level.

i wouldnt be shocked that Cory not wanting to re-sign here is legit though. i mean... not as if he doesnt have any reasons, this season might have left a sour taste in his mouth with all the Brodeur bullsh!t, us missing the playoffs and us not being able to score fvcking goals to help him.

The guy who posted that said he sat next to Oren Koules (the Hollywood producer who used to own part of the Lightning) on a plane and Koules told him he didn't think Schneider would re-sign. You know what they say about opinions...

i wouldnt be shocked that Cory not wanting to re-sign here is legit though. i mean... not as if he doesnt have any reasons, this season might have left a sour taste in his mouth with all the Brodeur bullsh!t, us missing the playoffs and us not being able to score fvcking goals to help him.

Marty will hopefully be out the door. 8 years and more money than anyone else can offer. Only a 5-hour car ride from home. If he doesn't want to re-sign, he's a little bitch.

Marty will hopefully be out the door. 8 years and more money than anyone else can offer. Only a 5-hour car ride from home. If he doesn't want to re-sign, he's a little bitch.

Why is he a little bitch? He was traded unbeknownst to him and his first comments didn't exactly sound exciting. He's brought here has to put up with an aging goalie who's a diva. He gets this whole, "future of the franchise" thing while the GM talks out of the other side of his mouth. Then he doesn't get any offensive support and add to that the couple times during the season the team just flat out quit.

BTW my money is on Lou getting an over the hill third liner to play on the first line.

Why is he a little bitch? He was traded unbeknownst to him and his first comments didn't exactly sound exciting. He's brought here has to put up with an aging goalie who's a diva. He gets this whole, "future of the franchise" thing while the GM talks out of the other side of his mouth. Then he doesn't get any offensive support and add to that the couple times during the season the team just flat out quit.

BTW my money is on Lou getting an over the hill third liner to play on the first line.

My money is on Lou shaking the sh!t out of this team and doing something no one saw coming. He's pissed. He knows 3 out of 4 years out of the playoffs is unacceptable. He'll be active. And Schneider would be a little bitch because: who the fvck cares about last year now? Marty will hopefully be gone. This will be Cory's team going forward. He will have a good defense in front of him. He's not far from home and stands to make the most money right here. He'll be on a competitive team with deep-pocketed ownership. There's no reason to leave. Now if Marty is inexplicably brought back- all bets are off.

Any reasons that Schneider has for leaving only have to be legitimate to him.  I can understand why he'd think long and hard about it...two of the team's top forwards are almost done, no one's sure how much longer Lou's going to be on the job (though GMs get canned all of time...not like the GM would be a long-time lock in a lot of places).  The Pittsburgh goalie situation could be wide-open by the time he goes UFA.  He could get an 8th year here that he can't anywhere else, but would he necessarily want that? 

And admittedly, I can understand why Schneider might be a little annoyed by the way he was used.  He should gotten much more starts than he did.  He's firmly in his prime, has played very well most of the time when given the chance, and keeps losing minutes to guys he's outplaying.  Probably gets old after awhile.

I agree with MD2020, in that I think Lou is going to be pretty active this offseason.  I think he very much wants to keep Schneider around, and knows he's got to sell him on why should want to spent the remainder of his prime years with the Devils.  

i think it's fair to say this offseason might be the most important offseason in a very very very very long time.

i think its fair to say you sir are correct.. lou knows he needs to bring in some talent to get this team back in the game as a contender.. we miss the playoffs again next year and its just not going to be good for anything.

i saw that over there as well... i also saw on hf someone say something about cory schneider not wanting to re-sign here... which im sure is all BS but just the thought of him not signing a new contract makes me wonder what the hell we would do for another goal tender that plays at his level.

If we lose Cory, we just lost a top pick ( Nichushkin) in the draft, for a one year rental goalie. Now that really screwed up. Sorry guys, venting

If we lose Cory, we just lost a top pick ( Nichushkin) in the draft, for a one year rental goalie. Now that really screwed up. Sorry guys, venting

thing is... IMO Lou has to figure out whats gonna happen with Cory SOON. Cause if he's not in to re-sign, the best thing would be to trade him and find a replacement ASAP and if we wait late in the summer... chances are that our options are not great since most goalies would have signed somewhere else by then.

Then if we cant find anyone and have to keep him... then we start the season with him... god knows if we'll be able to trade for another guy? then if we approach the deadline and were a bubble team well again... its gonna be the "well we cant trade our #1 goalie when we're in the race for the playoffs bla bla bla" so we'll stick with him... then hope he'll change his mind and re-sign before free agency. Or......... well... you know... 

Holy sh!t guys, stop talking about HF.  That place blows, and if you want to talk about it, talk about it over there.  Don't bring stupid rumors about sitting next to people on planes here.

wow thats a bit much take it easy...

Holy sh!t guys, stop talking about HF. That place blows, and if you want to talk about it, talk about it over there. Don't bring stupid rumors about sitting next to people on planes here.

It does blow, that's why I don't post there. But its interesting to read. And by posting that, I was merely pointing out that the 'rumor' was bullsh!t to begin with. So relax...

I feel confident Cory will resign with us. This is closer to home, way less traveling (in the East-especially our division) He'll get decent (not stupid) $$$. I see Devin Setaguchi (sp)? is a free agent.  I wonder how far past his prime he is? or is he. He once was relatively productive

It does blow, that's why I don't post there. But its interesting to read. And by posting that, I was merely pointing out that the 'rumor' was bullsh!t to begin with. So relax...

Cool, well it's too bad that you don't have a forum to post about it so you post about it here.  

Sorry, this is just something I've noticed over the last year and it's irritating.  The posters here are way better than the posters there.  (N.B. I read a fair about of HFboards during the Kovalchuk contract saga of 2010 + continued to read it once every month or two just to read some other perspectives - normally I'd make it about 5 minutes before reading something so stupid I had to leave).  I'd be all in favor of an njdevs.com 'Talk about HFboards here' thread, that way I don't have to read about anything that happens there.  And yes, I realize I've derailed this thread already, but if the thread is just gonna be 'talk about stuff they're talking about on HF', it won't be very good.  

Anyway, to get back on track, It's hard to know what might be realistic trades because the biggest trade chip NJ has also has a weird trade value right now - Adam Larsson is an unknown quantity and I imagine some teams think very highly of him and some think much less of him.  I never would've imagined the Leafs could get James Van Riemsdyk for Luke Schenn, but the league as a whole really has no clue how to value defense.  Does someone think Eric Gelinas can be another Dustin Byfuglien type?  That's just it though - his own team doesn't realize how good Byfuglien is and is moving him back to forward.  The league does a pretty good job with forwards but is utterly clueless when it comes to D (we'll see this when we see the 10 UFA D who sign for less money than Andrew MacDonald but are better than him).  

Edited by Triumph

Man I gotta admit... I'd love to be important enough in here one day to actually boss people around about what they can and cannot talk about.  :wink2:

In fairness, he is a mod. 

thing is... IMO Lou has to figure out whats gonna happen with Cory SOON. Cause if he's not in to re-sign, the best thing would be to trade him and find a replacement ASAP and if we wait late in the summer... chances are that our options are not great since most goalies would have signed somewhere else by then.

Then if we cant find anyone and have to keep him... then we start the season with him... god knows if we'll be able to trade for another guy? then if we approach the deadline and were a bubble team well again... its gonna be the "well we cant trade our #1 goalie when we're in the race for the playoffs bla bla bla" so we'll stick with him... then hope he'll change his mind and re-sign before free agency. Or......... well... you know... 

At this point, I'm just going to wait to see whether or not Cory re-signs before thinking beyond. 

That being said, one scenario I do wonder about is if Cory doesn't re-sign (and playing the "hmmmmm, what if" game as a fan is always shaky), does he go to Pittsburgh, and does MAF come here? 

Ugh talk about getting the sh!t end of the stick..have schneider end up leaving us to go to pitts and we get stuck with MAF here..that would honestly just be some nj devils luck right there.

I'm not saying I would be turning cartwheels over it (and I think this has a very small chance of actually happening)...but he's shown himself to be a durable and pretty good regular-season puck-stopper.  The playoff numbers are definitely worrisome though. 

One thing I don't think Lou would ever do if he had any interest in MAF (and I know that's definitely not Plan A) would be to overpay or get into a bidding war.  If some team out there decides to get stupid with MAF, Lou's not following suit, and I don't blame him.