Just STOP

njdevil26

The amount of bitching, complaining, and fighting on this message board is unbelievable.

Why don't you all carve out a time and place to meet and settle your differences in person? Half of you wouldn't show up and the other half would be trembling at the thought of a real life confrontation. I have been here for at least six years now... and I've gotten in a few arguments with some of you and it sure doesn't make me feel awesome for the rest of the day that I told off someone on the internet.

I'm not one-upping the mods here. God knows they all have real jobs and are too busy to police this place 24/7... but for the last few days, I've logged on here looking for some hockey discussion to get involved in. Instead, I find the same people fighting in almost every thread. People that think they have the right to judge other people's comments and opinions, people that are ALWAYS right, and other people who can't hold a conversation like a normal human being without flexing their internet muscles.

Either this is going to stop or I'm leaving. Not that I expect anyone to give a crap, but this place has turned into a garbage dump of jerk-offs. I've met some real nice people here (sadly, they don't come here any more for this very reason). Hell, I even met my girlfriend on here and we've been together for almost three years. This place USED to be a great place to visit up until lately.

I'm not mentioning any names or user names but you should know who you are. Stop ruining this community.

Thanks.

(Waits for the ensuing argument)

• Like 2

As an occasional forum lurker, I agree with this sentiment. While I love the Devils, the forum here is sadly representative of the Devils fanbase as a whole. There are some good people, but at least half of the fans are total jerkoffs. One need not look much further than the behavior of the fanbase in their tired, sad, inferiority-complex based chants following a Devils home goal. The whole "You suck/Rangers suck" thing is unbelievably classless, detracts from my enjoyment of the moment, and I am embarrassed for all of us as to how we are perceived around the league because of this.

Next time you're at a Devils game, start doing something positive, knock off the childish "you suck" chants, maybe others will follow your example and we can finally take our fandom to the next level.

I don't disagree with anything in this post, I'll only add that:

A) There is an ignore feature to make the constant whiners 'go away' for the most part.

B) There is a report post feature when a thread turns to **** and you want to notify them, I've found it does help them deal with stuff quicker.

I don't disagree with anything in this post, I'll only add that:

A) There is an ignore feature to make the constant whiners 'go away' for the most part.

B) There is a report post feature when a thread turns to **** and you want to notify them, I've found it does help them deal with stuff quicker.

Yeah I understand both of these features exist and thanks for pointing that out for the people that DO want to utilize that stuff.

With A., some of these people are actually my friends. I stay out of their fights and arguments but that's primarily why I don't start hitting the ignore button.

That, plus when the team is actually winning, this place is a lot more pleasant. It wouldn't even be worth reading the discussions here when there's a number of people on ignore lol.

Yeah I understand both of these features exist and thanks for pointing that out for the people that DO want to utilize that stuff.

With A., some of these people are actually my friends. I stay out of their fights and arguments but that's primarily why I don't start hitting the ignore button.

That, plus when the team is actually winning, this place is a lot more pleasant. It wouldn't even be worth reading the discussions here when there's a number of people on ignore lol.

Thing with your last statement is, most of the 'problem children' tend to not show up when we win anyway :P

I might have walked a while back too if not for the ignore feature lol. Plus it's just common sense when we lose, we look at the game thread at our own peril.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Thing with your last statement is, most of the 'problem children' tend to not show up when we win :P

I might have walked a while back too if not for the ignore feature lol. Plus it's just common sense when we lose, we look at the game thread at our own peril lol.

Game threads are one thing... but there a number of people here that wake up in the morning and get so excited to come on here to tell someone that their thoughts aren't thread worthy or their opinions are stupid and so on. Also, there is a HUGE HUGE HUGE problem with those who deal in merchandise and jerseys in the marketplace.

The amount of bitching, complaining, and fighting on this message board is unbelievable.

Why don't you all carve out a time and place to meet and settle your differences in person? Half of you wouldn't show up and the other half would be trembling at the thought of a real life confrontation. I have been here for at least six years now... and I've gotten in a few arguments with some of you and it sure doesn't make me feel awesome for the rest of the day that I told off someone on the internet.

I'm not one-upping the mods here. God knows they all have real jobs and are too busy to police this place 24/7... but for the last few days, I've logged on here looking for some hockey discussion to get involved in. Instead, I find the same people fighting in almost every thread. People that think they have the right to judge other people's comments and opinions, people that are ALWAYS right, and other people who can't hold a conversation like a normal human being without flexing their internet muscles.

Either this is going to stop or I'm leaving. Not that I expect anyone to give a crap, but this place has turned into a garbage dump of jerk-offs. I've met some real nice people here (sadly, they don't come here any more for this very reason). Hell, I even met my girlfriend on here and we've been together for almost three years. This place USED to be a great place to visit up until lately.

I'm not mentioning any names or user names but you should know who you are. Stop ruining this community.

Thanks.

(Waits for the ensuing argument)

Again, just use your ignore feature. Will fix it for you right away.

Agree 100% and I don't understand why the moderators don't do more about it. I understand that (for the most part) we're all Devils fans and that this board is for fun, but there are some people who are going to try to ruin that. The ignore feature only does so much.

I know there is plenty of negativity here....but look, we are proud passionate fans, our team isnt that good, and we're not used to that, and what makes things worse is there is a black cloud over our teams ownership with the financial mess, and what makes things even worse than these things is the teams around us that we hate are all doing very very well these days and are among the best in the league. Its really hard to milk out the positives right now.

I know there is plenty of negativity here....but look, we are proud passionate fans, our team isnt that good, and we're not used to that, and what makes things worse is there is a black cloud over our teams ownership with the financial mess, and what makes things even worse than these things is the teams around us that we hate are all doing very very well these days and are among the best in the league. Its really hard to milk out the positives right now.

It's the whole attitude here that needs to be vanished. That since you're behind a keyboard and a screen you can say things you would NEVER say in person because of real-life consequences.

There are only two mods, and both work long hours so they can't check the board 24/7, but like I said the report post feature helps cause they see it in email and then know to check the board.

That's totally fair, but there should be a 3rd moderator in that case - this place is getting out of control.

i don't post often on the board as a discussion person (i seem to always say stupid/irrelevant/obvious things)

but i do read the threads, and it seems as if this board is just following the internet as a whole. Every board i go on is full of trolls, idiots and people who just want to get into arguments.

Anyone been on the New Jersey Devils Facebook page? that thing is just a troll haven and i feel embarrassed as a Devil fan to be associated with those people.

I joined this board because it was all Devils fans talking about the Devils. I have few friends who care about hockey, so i can at least see peoples opinions and thoughts about the team and the sport in general.

I started my feed and allowed people from this board to join because it is a good community of Devil and hockey fans in general

Arguments happen, its part of life, but the amount of stupid and unnecessary ones has definitely spiked... and yeah, we're not playing well right now, we get that.

NONE of us have any control over how the team plays or how it is constructed. All we can do is control our reactions to the team and their play.

We get it, they are sucking right now, and whatever the problems are, we hope as fans that they can turn it around and make this season enjoyable.

That's totally fair, but there should be a 3rd moderator in that case - this place is getting out of control.

I agree.

Sometimes I hate how tightly controlled and modded HF Boards is... but there is no better place on the internet to talk hockey than that place.

I agree.

Sometimes I hate how tightly controlled and modded HF Boards is... but there is no better place on the internet to talk hockey than that place.

Well, they had a similar thread a few days ago about how negativity and name calling were getting out of control, so either Devil fans suck or message board posters on the whole do. I still lean toward the latter, the internet gets worse every year.

But it's a tricky thing, be too loose in modding and you have threads go off the rails like the Saturday GDT. Be too stringent and you have people whining and making it personal with the mods themselves, as happened here a while back.

I remember some cantankerous times when there were at least 5 moderators. So I don't totally agree another moderator is the answer.

It's interesting that HF's Devils board is having some issues too.. I agree that there hasn't been as much moderation as there needs to be to stop threads from deteriorating.. That said I know msweet and DM are busy guys so I can't blame them for putting real-life ahead of an internet forum.. I also admit I haven't used the Report feature and it would certainly help them moderate without having to read each thread and post

I think this issue is big enough that it really needs to be addressed so thanks for starting the conversation Andrew

It's interesting that HF's Devils board is having some issues too.. I agree that there hasn't been as much moderation as there needs to be to stop threads from deteriorating.. That said I know msweet and DM are busy guys so I can't blame them for putting real-life ahead of an internet forum.. I also admit I haven't used the Report feature and it would certainly help them moderate without having to read each thread and post

I think this issue is big enough that it really needs to be addressed so thanks for starting the conversation Andrew

FWIW this has also been abused, and there has been issues in the past with members about some double standards here when it comes to what is worthy of suspending someone's account.

Now I'm going to have to check that out!

I think you might might enjoy it lol.

Edited by DevsMan84

Yeah Saturday's GDT is what prompted me to make this thread. I stay off the boards right after a loss because I know I'll probably get into it with someone... so I went on this morning to say something about defense and trades and such and read the last two pages and just got very annoyed.

Yeah Saturday's GDT is what prompted me to make this thread. I stay off the boards right after a loss because I know I'll probably get into it with someone... so I went on this morning to say something about defense and trades and such and read the last two pages and just got very annoyed.

Alright, this is the last post I will make about Saturday's GDT as I know I was involved in that. I was not looking for a fight, but it came to me and I took it on. Am I a little embarassed that it was out in public like that? Yeah a little and I apologize to those who had to read through that nonsense. Do I regret it? Not really, as those two clows have been constantly trolling on this board as well as another board for quite some time and basically I had it and called them out on it. It is over now and honestly I'd just rather move on from it.

Hell some people here know my history with other members who I have not so great relationship such as Triumph, but I do not hound him or anything like that for that matter. Hell I have even agreed with him on a bunch of posts lately.

That's all I am going to say and it's over, time to move on and I'd just rather talk about tonight's game.

I've been a member here for a very long time. It used to be a nice place to go to talk Devils when the only other option was the NJ.com boards (what a train wreck that place was).

I find myself coming here less and less - the discussion and news I used to look for here I get from Puck Daddy, TG's Blog and Twitter.

I must say, the people who have nothing better to do than belittle, bitch and moan play a large role in me not being involved here.