GDT: Devils @ Bruins 7PM: BRODEUR in Beantown

ThreeCups

That GW goal was nice if we just pretend the last pass was actually a pass.

and of course Gionta eats the last shot of the game to buy himself another quarter of the season.  LOL.   I like his effort alot but he's never coming out of the damn lineup,  he's even out for the endgame shift

Night just got a whole lot worse for Boston fans. Losing a World Series game on an obstruction call must cause fury.

Being in Boston for both, they seemed to take the "**** it let's get drunk" approach lol

Edited by Colin226

That GW goal was nice if we just pretend the last pass was actually a pass.

and of course Gionta eats the last shot of the game to buy himself another quarter of the season.  LOL.   I like his effort alot but he's never coming out of the damn lineup,  he's even out for the endgame shift

In all honesty who is better to replace him?  He is the best player we got for a 4th line role.  The argument of JJ or Teddy just doesn't fly because they don't belong on a 4th line.  They play better with better players but haven shown their worth or consistency to bump a 1-3rd line player out of the lineup.

tldr; Gionta does a great job for the role he is asked of.

Edited by jonnyd91

In all honesty who is better to replace him?  He is the best player we got for a 4th line role.  The argument of JJ or Teddy just doesn't fly because they don't belong on a 4th line.  They play better with better players but haven shown their worth or consistency to bump a 1-3rd line player out of the lineup.

tldr; Gionta does a great job for the role he is asked of.

But that's the problem, is that he does make plays through hustle and such, and he can skate without looking like he sh!t his pants.   The problem though is that this team is built inside out.   Short of having a first line that can stand up to the production of normal first lines, the bottom half guys have to produce.   If they had two strong lines and a decent three, having someone like him on the 4th is no problem at all, you'd rather have better but in the big picture at least he's not a guy who plays to get punched in the face by someone else.

I just don't think this team can be like that.

But that's the problem, is that he does make plays through hustle and such, and he can skate without looking like he sh!t his pants.   The problem though is that this team is built inside out.   Short of having a first line that can stand up to the production of normal first lines, the bottom half guys have to produce.   If they had two strong lines and a decent three, having someone like him on the 4th is no problem at all, you'd rather have better but in the big picture at least he's not a guy who plays to get punched in the face by someone else.

I just don't think this team can be like that.

Agreed.  I believe we have one of the better 4th lines in the league.  I still have faith and truly believe this is new personnel growing pains.  No one thought Jagr would be this good. The truly sad part about it is if kovy didnt fvck us we wouldnt be having any of these conversations right now, but thats neither here nor there.  These are the cards we are dealt and if dopey keeps the right guys in the lineup I think we will be ok.

Edited by jonnyd91

Agreed.  I believe we have one of the better 4th lines in the league.  I still have faith and truly believe this is new personnel growing pains.  No one thought Jagr would be this good. The truly sad part about it is if kovy didnt fvck us we wouldnt be having any of these conversations right now, but thats neither here nor there.  These are the cards we are dealt and if dopey keeps the right guys in the lineup I think we will be ok.

The 4th line isn't producing, it's losing badly.

Bernier and Gionta have one point each, on the same goal,  Gionta is -5 and Bernier is a ghasty -8.    If that continues this team will not win the way it is built. That's why a guy like Gionta has to come out of the lineup.    Their 3-4th lines HAVE to win for the team to win.   We are not going to outgun teams up top.

What happens now to Eric Gelinas? It's going to be hard to send him back down when he was a huge part of the first goal tonight, and had one of his own last game. I wonder if Harrold will be waived.

Wouldn't count on NJ making a move to keep Gelinas here.  Who does he go in for when the D is healthy?  The only thing I could see is them IRing Harrold back to Thursday to sneak Gelinas up for another game or two.

The 4th line isn't producing, it's losing badly.

Bernier and Gionta have one point each, on the same goal,  Gionta is -5 and Bernier is a ghasty -8.    If that continues this team will not win the way it is built. That's why a guy like Gionta has to come out of the lineup.    Their 3-4th lines HAVE to win for the team to win.   We are not going to outgun teams up top.

I agree that Gionta should come out but the 4th line is getting horrendous luck so far this year, they're shooting 2% as a line.  And of course the goalies don't help.

Wouldn't count on NJ making a move to keep Gelinas here.  Who does he go in for when the D is healthy?  The only thing I could see is them IRing Harrold back to Thursday to sneak Gelinas up for another game or two.

They're gonna have to trade Fayne to keep Gelinas up.   Now the thing is, what do you do with Larsson if Gelinas goes down?   Do you tether them together and work to build chemistry between them?   Larsson looks like a better player playing with him.   But if you send Larsson down, does Larsson bolt if he doesn't get back up and get significant time?   It's a mess.   Gelinas really should be staying but the other guys up top are either untouchable (Greene), unmoveable (Sal/Volch) or necessary for the time being (Zids)

I agree that Gionta should come out but the 4th line is getting horrendous luck so far this year, they're shooting 2% as a line.  And of course the goalies don't help.

Bernier's probably been out for 9 against in what, 11 games, though?   That's bad.   Real bad.   Like when your 4th line ruins your season in EA Be a GM bad.  I don't know if either of them has another +.    1 for, 9 against, and 1 for, 6 against for your fourth liners is pretty intolerable, even on a good team that is rolling up top.

Bernier's probably been out for 9 against in what, 11 games, though?   That's bad.   Real bad.   Like when your 4th line ruins your season in EA Be a GM bad.  I don't know if either of them has another +.    1 for, 9 against, and 1 for, 6 against for your fourth liners is pretty intolerable, even on a good team that is rolling up top.

It's not sustainable.  It's the goalie being unable to stop a shot.  Bernier has been excellent this year.

It's not sustainable.  It's the goalie being unable to stop a shot.  Bernier has been excellent this year.

Bernier is the best player on that line.   But why not give him a more skilled player to play with.   That's what I'm getting at.   Even if they're bystanders during sh!tty goaltending, the puck isn't going in the net the other way.   That line has kind of been the Murphy's Law of hockey this season, hell, I'd settle for giving them Zajac at this point, at least they'd play their shifts in the other team's end

The problem with the 4 line is its out there to much. I don't have numbers to back that up, but I see gionta's runt ass on the ice every other shift it seems. Your 4th line is going to be a group of minus players when they are being utilized like a 2nd line.

Also Larson and gelinas played like a top pairing for us tonight.

I wanna see the following going forward

Greene Fayne

Larson Gelinas

Salvador Zidlicky

Volchenkov

anything less than this would be mistake. Gel made a few mistakes tonight and the night before, but hes fast both on his feet and with his stick and is able to easily recover most of the time. Larson looked tremendously better with him, I wonder if that has something to do with him mentally not thinking if something goes wrong its on him cuz the other guy is a vet.

Edited by Sneax

The problem with the 4 line is its out there to much. I don't have numbers to back that up, but I see gionta's runt ass on the ice every other shift it seems. Your 4th line is going to be a group of minus players when they are being utilized like a 2nd line.

Also Larson and gelinas played like a top pairing for us tonight.

I wanna see the following going forward

Greene Fayne

Larson Gelinas

Salvador Zidlicky

Volchenkov

anything less than this would be mistake. Gel made a few mistakes tonight and the night before, but hes fast both on his feet and with his stick and is able to easily recover most of the time. Larson looked tremendously better with him, I wonder if that has something to do with him mentally not thinking if something goes wrong its on him cuz the other guy is a vet.

I like these but I don't see Harrold being dumped just yet. I think no matter what we will have 8-9 capable defensemen through the season baring a trade which may not be that bad considering the likelyhood of injuries. I think thats the toughest part of having a deep/interchangable team, getting guys ice time and rotation so we are able to handle injuries. Either way nice to see our D firing away on the PP and jumping in to keep the puck in the zone. 

Stop it Tri, you're making me cry.

Mid-third period when the Devils were pounding and pinning the Bruins (but nothing came of it) I though that after the game the Bruins must think "I can't believe that team has just one win". They were doing everything right...except that last thing, which they eventually got sorted.

Tri is on the money here. Harrold goes on IR for sure....

Harrold needs to be the 8th or on waivers. I really don't want to go with 8D like last year. I think that's awful. With the D we have, plus Merrill down in the A, I think Harrold can go on waivers - I think he'd be picked up, but it's one of the neccesities. He's not worth anything in a trade, maybe a 5th?

I want to keep fayne in the line up, because I like our youthfulness in the lineup at the moment with fayne-greene, gelly-larsson - PLUS aside from the 3 game road trip next week, we have a good amount of home games where it might be easier to shelter young D.

So I want to keep Fayne in the lineup, but the question is how?

Part of me still wonders if it would do Larsson good to be the guy sent down because of his contract, plus he can play 20 minutes a night with Merrill and a smart Swedish defenseman assistant coach. I don't know.

Edited by HellOnICE

There's no way they can go with eight D for any length of time anyway unless they get rid of two forwards eventually (assuming Clowe comes back at 'some' point).  Fayne getting traded is probably the endgame here, assuming they can even get anything for him at this point with how bad he's been since being jerked in and out of the lineup.  Plus he's almost certainly walking as a FA anyway.  

Getting rid of Harrold is the more painless solution but really I'd rather have Harrold be the #7 than Fayne.  Fayne hasn't adjusted to the in-out role very well, and that's Harrold's biggest strength.  The only issue is keeping Gelinas with Greene/Sal/Volch means you have four lefties, and Pete's got a bug up his *** about having left on left and right on right.

Larsson being sent down after his last two games would be beyond asinine.  He looks like he's been rejuvanated by having Gelinas around.

Edited by NJDevs4978

not really too sure how i feel about fayne to be honest.. he hasnt been anything special really at all.. a lot of people on here love the guy but i just dont really see where its all coming from? maybe he hasnt had enough solid time to fit in and shine? i dont know but as of now i cant say that i think we are really missing out on anything by having him not in the line up.. but at the same time harrold can be a mess as well so pick your poison i guess

not really too sure how i feel about fayne to be honest.. he hasnt been anything special really at all.. a lot of people on here love the guy but i just dont really see where its all coming from? maybe he hasnt had enough solid time to fit in and shine? i dont know but as of now i cant say that i think we are really missing out on anything by having him not in the line up.. but at the same time harrold can be a mess as well so pick your poison i guess

Fayne is solid that's why we like him. It's rare that he fvcks up because he's old and slow. Also he pinches a lot which none of the defensemen really do (Volch, Salv) because they are so fvcking slow, they cant afford to be aggressive at all.

Fayne is solid that's why we like him. It's rare that he fvcks up because he's old and slow. Also he pinches a lot which none of the defensemen really do (Volch, Salv) because they are so fvcking slow, they cant afford to be aggressive at all.

ive seen fayne make quite a few mistakes so far this season.. not trying to take anything away from him but just generally saying hes nothing so special either.. sure hes younger and he is quicker then some of the vet dmen and we do need that quickness but other then that just dont really feel that hes really anything super special.. definently think gelinas has looked better in his couple of games that hes had so far( granted its only been a COUPLE of games)

ive seen fayne make quite a few mistakes so far this season.. not trying to take anything away from him but just generally saying hes nothing so special either.. sure hes younger and he is quicker then some of the vet dmen and we do need that quickness but other then that just dont really feel that hes really anything super special.. definently think gelinas has looked better in his couple of games that hes had so far( granted its only been a COUPLE of games)

I agree gelinas has a game changing shot. If I had to choose between gelinas and fayne, I'd choose gelinas. However, that shouldn't be the choice, we should fvcking waive volch.