Unfortunately, some more bad news in Devils-land / Marty

msweet

The board goes nuts with the bi-polar love-hate thing with Lou. One day he makes a trade for Loki for only a 5th and the man's a genius, unmatched in his cleverness in professional sports. Then we lose a few games and claim a guy who with or without him isn't gonna make that much of a difference and it's all, HE'S NUTS, FIRE HIM, HOW COME HE ISN'T TRYING TO CLAIM SCORING WINGERS ON WAIVERS, LOU SUCKS!!!!

Everybody, collectively get your panties out of the bunch they're in under your a$$hole and relax. Lou isn't stupid, we have a couple options. We're still in playoff race, so why in the hell would we make a panic move while everyone knows we're at a position of weakness. No, don't trade then, remember when we were .500 in December last year. Did we make trades then? No, we waited until we didn't need to make a trade, did and got better value from it.

You trade not when you need to, but when you can get a good return. That's the way Lou does it. He's not gonna waste Tallinder, a pick, a prospect, whoever if we're gonna get crap back for them because teams know we're desperate. Lou knows that missing the playoffs this season is less important than not handicapping the team for the next 3 years because it took Tallinder and a 1st to get anything of worth back.

How can you be rational at a time like this???  :headless chicken:  :headless chicken:  :headless chicken:

And great post btw. Lou has never done panic moves or 'trading for the sake of trading' and he isn't going to now. 

Chris Terreri needs to do a mind meld with moose and teach him how to move his stick and to slide post to post again. our PO hopes are fading . so much for day to day after Toronto

.I mean Florida had their goalie coach suit up for a game. I don't think it's THAT far-fetched to suggest we get Terreri to come out of retirement and do the same.

Edited by TheMazz

I know they are saying Marty is day-day... But I have a pretty good source that says he has some serious back issue resulting in his hand being numb right now.

He's going to be out a while.

...and don't ask the source please and no it is NOT Zubrus... He's 100% a follower of the team rules.

Loose lips sink ships.

.I mean Florida had their goalie coach suit up for a game. I don't think it's THAT far-fetched to suggest we get Terreri to come out of retirement and do the same.

Yes it is. Florida's dressed because the goalie got injured in warmups and they needed someone to sit on the bench until Markstrom's equipment showed up. 

• Like 1

How can you be rational at a time like this???  :headless chicken:  :headless chicken:  :headless chicken:

And great post btw. Lou has never done panic moves or 'trading for the sake of trading' and he isn't going to now. 

True Lou hasn't but lately he has had the bad habit of signing players to contracts for their past services as a thank you instead of signing them to what he believes how they can help the team in the future.

great post. i completely agree

Oh you guys, I'm so vindicated in believing how awesome I am now. Thank you for bloating my ego, mwuahahahaha.

But yeah, Lou is a guy who will not make a panic move, ever. The man knows the perceived value and real value of his players and he's not going to sell someone when their perceived value is far below their real value. Again, this a shortened season, that won't honestly mean that much. We'll be back to normal next year and we need to make sure we don't get trapped into any REALLY bad contracts with guys who had fluke years in the shortened season.

This ridiculous what have you done for me now talk is just so stupid that it hurts my brain. The man took us to the Finals last year and now we're not even out of the playoff picture and people here are already throwing one of the greatest GMs of all time, the best we'll ever have, under the bus.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is out awhile. Back's are tricky and his sure has taken a beating over the years. I hope for his own personal sake that it's not too bad.

I think what this means is the Devils are crazy to think they can count on Marty to stay healthy anymore, much as it kills me to say that, even if he's still capable of playing well when he is healthy.  An almost 41-year-old goalie with more miles on his odometer than anyone ever to play his position?  And it's a back issue no less?  Plan B just got here that much faster.

I think what this means is the Devils are crazy to think they can count on Marty to stay healthy anymore, much as it kills me to say that, even if he's still capable of playing well when he is healthy.  An almost 41-year-old goalie with more miles on his odometer than anyone ever to play his position?  And it's a back issue no less?  Plan B just got here that much faster.

Which is why it sucks that they don't have a 1st round pick one of the next two years.  It's not like even if healthy Brodeur can be counted on to be better than average at this stage of his career - I think it's better long-term if they start planning for not having him around.  Buying out Hedberg or burying him and getting a guy who isn't 85 years old to back up would be a start.

Which is why I am surprised the Devils haven't started planning for this years ago.

As much as Lou is a genius as a GM, not planning for this has the potential of being perhaps his greatest folly in his career.

Which is why I am surprised the Devils haven't started planning for this years ago.

As much as Lou is a genius as a GM, not planning for this has the potential of being perhaps his greatest folly in his career.

They drafted 2 goalies in the 1st round, one more in the 2nd, and none of them have panned out.  They also drafted Scott Clemmensen ages ago, who didn't really pan out either.  In 2010 they drafted 2 goalies and signed another in 2011.  The larger issue is having 2 goalies, one of whom could get hurt, and the other could be bad because of age.  But then you look at a team like St. Louis who had two goalies last year, one good and the other great, both in the prime of their careers, and now this year both are horrible.  Goaltending is damn near impossible to predict.

Lou has been planning for this....it's not his fault that the goalies the organization drafted over the years never had a shot to break into the NHL (because of Marty's dominance). Ahonen...Clemmensen....Frazee....and now Wedgewood and Clermont. Lou has kept his fair share of goaltending prospects on-hand. Goalies can be hit or miss, and people criticize the Devils for ignoring the position beyond Brodeur or for not preparing for the future after Brodeur, but in reality, the goalies the Devils had in the wings just never had a legitimate shot at at being on the Devils with Marty playing so often, aside from Clemmensen's brief stint as a starter when Brodeur was hurt. Soon, guys like Wedgewood, Clermont, and Kinkaid will have an opportunity here.

They drafted 2 goalies in the 1st round, one more in the 2nd, and none of them have panned out.  They also drafted Scott Clemmensen ages ago, who didn't really pan out either.  In 2010 they drafted 2 goalies and signed another in 2011.  The larger issue is having 2 goalies, one of whom could get hurt, and the other could be bad because of age.  But then you look at a team like St. Louis who had two goalies last year, one good and the other great, both in the prime of their careers, and now this year both are horrible.  Goaltending is damn near impossible to predict.

Is it really fair to say they didn't pan out? It's not like any goalies the team has drafted since Brodeur were ever given an NHL opportunity.

Edited by JWomp

In regard to the goalies, I know Lou has been drafting them quite a bit the last few years.  My issue is that once they are drafted, he is slow to develop them and Marty's play the last few years has convinced Lou can hold off on bringing them to the next level.  Right now we are not really developing any goalies at the NHL level and right now we have a goalie tandem with a combined age of about 80 years.  What if after next year both retire and now we have to bring up Kinkaid and Wedgewood full time.  Are the Devils just going to throw them both to the wolves in their rookie year?  I'd rather Lou have started or at least start now to really put the younger guys in at least part-time so when Marty retires we have a goalie that has at least some experience at the NHL level.

In regard to the goalies, I know Lou has been drafting them quite a bit the last few years.  My issue is that once they are drafted, he is slow to develop them and Marty's play the last few years has convinced Lou can hold off on bringing them to the next level.  Right now we are not really developing any goalies at the NHL level and right now we have a goalie tandem with a combined age of about 80 years.  What if after next year both retire and now we have to bring up Kinkaid and Wedgewood full time.  Are the Devils just going to throw them both to the wolves in their rookie year?  I'd rather Lou have started or at least start now to really put the younger guys in at least part-time so when Marty retires we have a goalie that has at least some experience at the NHL level.

I would assume that whoever the organization pegs as Brodeur's replacement will spend a year backing up a veteran goalie first, whether it's Brodeur or someone brought in for one season from the outside to bridge the gap.

I would assume that whoever the organization pegs as Brodeur's replacement will spend a year backing up a veteran goalie first, whether it's Brodeur or someone brought in for one season from the outside to bridge the gap.

Well I would at least feel more comfortable with that scenario than any other I can see happening.  I mean I said it could be Lou's biggest folly but doesnt mean it will happen.

Slow to develop them?

The Devils had the best goalie in the league up until Marty got hurt in Sutter's final year here. Do you realize how many mediocre to average teams he carried to playoffs post lockout.

Lou : Sorry Marty but we are going to have to sit you for a few because some player we drafted in the 5th round deserves a stretch of games.

This board sometimes is full of idiots.

Ahonen played for some God-awful Albany teams...I think that, combined with Marty having a stranglehold on the position, pretty much killed whatever shot he had at the NHL.  I remember in 2005-06 (I think), Marty was hurt, and Clemmer got some games, and Ahonen was called up to be the backup...he never got into a game, but I remember watching him during warmups once...who knows if it meant anything, but he looked TERRIBLE. 

Slow to develop them?

The Devils had the best goalie in the league up until Marty got hurt in Sutter's final year here. Do you realize how many mediocre to average teams he carried to playoffs post lockout.

Lou : Sorry Marty but we are going to have to sit you for a few because some player we drafted in the 5th round deserves a stretch of games.

This board sometimes is full of idiots.

Did you read at least Triumph's post?  We have drafted goalies in the first round, so why not give them a few games a year and Marty can play the other 75-78 games he usually played.  Besides I was mostly talking about since 2010 and not before that.

Marty has also been getting injured more often since the 2008-09 season for decent stretches so why not break in some of the goalies then?  Instead we signed veteran backups who stick with the team for a couple of years before leaving when they really start dropping off or want a little more work than 5-7 games a year.

Edited by DevsMan84

Did you read at least Triumph's post?  We have drafted goalies in the first round, so why not give them a few games a year and Marty can play the other 75-78 games he usually played. 

In fairness, you really want those guys getting work, if you think there's a chance they're going to amount to anything.  Like I said, unfortunately in Ahonen's case, he played on bad team after bad team in getting his work...hard for a goalie to do that without getting his confidence shaken after a while.  It was like everything was lined up for him to fail, though with scouts everywhere looking for goaltending, if he was really that impressive and looked like a guy who just needed to get a real shot, someone likely would've seen that, and traded for him (especially since the cost wouldn't have been that high).   

Ahonen played for some God-awful Albany teams...I think that, combined with Marty having a stranglehold on the position, pretty much killed whatever shot he had at the NHL.  I remember in 2005-06 (I think), Marty was hurt, and Clemmer got some games, and Ahonen was called up to be the backup...he never got into a game, but I remember watching him during warmups once...who knows if it meant anything, but he looked TERRIBLE. 

Ahonen has put up solid numbers in the KHL the last few years:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=45127