Minor League Ball

Derek21

Does anyone follow or go to games in the area? Trenton? Being that I live out here, I cover the Staten Island Yankees. This is my second full season. It's really fun going to games and it's a nice setting right by the water over by the Ferry Terminal overlooking the most wonderful skyline. It also happens to be a great ballpark.

I've been fortunate enough to cover back-to-back championship winners cause I came on at the end of 2005. Pretty fun stuff.

I usually do game recaps and sometimes features. Last night, they played their Verrazano rival the Cyclones on the Fourth. So there were special fireworks when it ended to go along with the great ones we could see from across the ocean.

And the game was great too. They cameback from a run down to pull it out in 11!

Anyway, I usually put all my stories up on my blog down below.

But I thought I'd post my latest cause it was a feature story on a local kid who pitched last night. Might want to remember the name Dellin Betances. So here it is:

Betances Shows Poise and Promise

STATEN ISLAND, NY - It's one thing to not allow a run when you have your best stuff but quite another when you're working your way through batters without it.

That's what Dellin Betances was able to do well enough in his fourth Penn League start against the Cyclones last night before a near packed house of 6,011 who celebrated part of their Independence Day by taking in an exciting 4-3 eleven inning Baby Bomber victory over the Cyclones at St. George.

Despite creating a couple of jams with a loss of control (six walks), Betances was able to pitch his way out of trouble by showing tremendous poise. One particular instance in the third inning saw the young 19 year-old hurler load the bases on three walks with two outs. He then went to a full count on Brooklyn first baseman Jason Jacobs before freezing him with an unhittable pitch which painted the outside corner to get out of it.

P.S. Satans, Mandalay took over ownership and the attendance has gone up. They're offering a few 5-game Pinstripe Plans which include all you can eat deals along with other cool stuff. I think a couple soldout.

It's definitely been an improvement. It's a really nice ballpark.

So, anyone else go see minor league ball anywhere?

Edited by Derek21

P.S. Satans, Mandalay took over ownership and the attendance has gone up. They're offering a few 5-game Pinstripe Plans which include all you can eat deals along with other cool stuff. I think a couple soldout.

It's definitely been an improvement. It's a really nice ballpark.

So, anyone else go see minor league ball anywhere?

Edited by Satans Hockey

I love to follow minor league baseball, especially Yankee prospects. I love to follow guys like Hughes, Clippard, DeSalvo, Chamberlein, Kennedy, Horne, and Betances. Not to mention position players like Cervelli, Montero, Tabata, Gardner, Jackson, and Corona to name a few of my favorites.

Check out this weird line from a 5 inning no hitter in Trenton the other night.

Brett Smith (W, 7-4)

5 IP/ 0 H/ 0 R/ 0 ER/ 7 BB/ 5 K. 86 pitches--41 strikes/45 balls.

I always thought the ballpark was nice but I know me and a few other friends thought it was depressing going there cause of the view. I haven't been there in a few years though. If I wanted to take the train there it would take about 45 mins cause I am on the opposite side of the island so that is part of the reason I never go. It only takes me 25mins to get to the CAA by driving lol Also with all the god damn traffic on this island it takes forever to drive to the ballpark as well so that's another reason I never go. Maybe I will go check out a game soon though.
Edited by Derek21

I see you also listed Brett Gardner on there and Corona as well. Both were part of the '05 championship team. Corona walked off. That was so cool. I just missed getting Gatoraded. LOL

Also, Josh Schmidt used to close on that team. He had a brutal '06 but has rebounded lately in Tampa and has a ton of K's in a setup role. He's got some nasty bite on his pitches.

I can relate to that actually since I also live on that side as well and have to navigate around all the traffic usually taking backroads, etc.

You can't be that far away from where I am. Where are you?

God. It's thundering here again. I hope we don't have another blackout.

Hey fiesty. Cervelli was the catcher here last year and an All Star. He wasn't even supposed to be the No.1 backstop and look how that turned out. He's doing well with Tampa.

I used to go to SI Yankees games with my dad and uncle when they played at the College of Staten Island because my uncle is handicapped and at that place the accessible seating was right along the wall, so he used to bring us there so we'd have nice seats. I never pay any attention to standings or whatever with minor leagues, but I love going to games. I don't go to minor league games as much as I used to. Now I only go to like one or two a year, usually either Somerset Patriots, Newark Bears, or Lakewood Blueclaws. I like going to minor league games more than major league games, though, because the stadiums are smaller so there aren't really any bad seats, so you can catch a foul ball pretty much wherever you sit. My dad caught two foul balls in one SI Yanks game. I also like minor league games more because the tickets are cheaper. I mean you can pay $50 to go to a Yankees game and sit a mile away from the field. Unless they are playing the Red Sox or it's a playoff game I'd rather just watch it on TV.