Players You Felt the Devils Gave Up on too Soon

Derlique

I always thought Zharkov got shafted but with the way he is performing this year in the KHL, it appears like he really did regress.

33 GP 6-2-8 +3 4 PIM 10.9 SH% 1.7 SH/GP 11:33 TOI/GP

I was always a Vrana fan and thought they gave up on him too soon but he hasn't been having a great year in the KHL after a fantastic year last year in which he suffered a significant injury (think it was a knee?) at the end of the season.

2011-12: 46 GP 19-24-43 +18 12 PIM 15.7 SH% 2.6 SH/GP 53.3 FO% 17:45 TOI/GP

2012-13: 37 GP 2-13-15 +7 4 PIM 3.2 SH% 1.7 SH/GP 16:17 56.1 FO% TOI/GP

I must agree. Good find, I was starting to forget about him.

I agree. I feel like he got shafted, and I think there may be a small chance for him to succeed in Tampa. Might make us feel shafted. Clemmenson should have came back. His amazing run in 09 when marty got injured was the reason we made playoffs. First major injury of marty's career too.

I think an obvious one would be Willie Mitchell. I mean Sean O'Donnell, who he was traded for, did help us reach the finals in 2001, while Mitchell was just a young pup at the time, but I view Willie as one of the most underrated shutdown dmen in hockey today.

At the time though, our defense was obviously stacked with Stevens, Neids, Dano, Raffy, and White... and White filled that shutdown need for so many years... It just would have been nice to have Mitchell on our defense through those years after the lockout.

Edited by Jerseydevils0324

I know I can think of a better example, but right now I'm thinking Mike Commodore. The Devils basically threw him into a trade, and while he didn't blossom in his next organization either, he became a halfway decent defender. I don't know if he just had to grow up or what, but the Devils thought highly enough of him to put him in 57 games in his first two pro seasons.

Taormina I don't mind because even though I like him, the organization has plenty of defensemen right now.

Edited by Triumph

Even though it got us Doug Gilmour (who I was a huge fan of even before he was a Devil) I would have loved to have had Steve Sullivan on the team. He had some real entertaining goals in his short time in Jersey.

Most notably, the one against the Flyers

Edited by Devil Dan 56

I remember being in middle school and severly overrating this guy. :doh1:

Lol I think a good number of people overrated him for a little bit as if I remember correctly he scored a goal in his first game against buffalo. When he later played on Montreal he seemed to have a little bit of a breakout but could not keep it up after.

Last I heard is he tore up the FHL with something like 75 goals in 50 games lol.

Lol I think a good number of people overrated him for a little bit as if I remember correctly he scored a goal in his first game against buffalo. When he later played on Montreal he seemed to have a little bit of a breakout but could not keep it up after.

Last I heard is he tore up the FHL with something like 75 goals in 50 games lol.

You are correct. I was at that game in Buffalo, a 5-1 loss. He replaced Mogilny who was hurt the night before. The only reason I remember this was because it was a fan club trip and I had Mogilny in the first goal pool and had to take Dagenais as his replacement and was PISSED. He won me $65.