Thomas will take a sabbatical

SterioDesign

just heard on tv that his main reasons would be that he got a NTC starting this summer and that there was trade rumours, he doesnt want to be traded somewhere he wouldnt want to go, because of the whole white house saga

A source told ESPN.com Thursday that the 38-year-old Boston Bruins netminder was contemplating taking next season off. Which doesn’t mean he will, but it’s something he’s apparently raised.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruins/post/_/id/9912/lebrun-thomas-considering-sabbatical

this could hurt the Devils chances of getting Tukka Rask. I really want him for a backup/potential Marty replacement someday (him or that anderson guy on Vancouver). Thomas is a class act, i respect him for boycotting the white house for whatever reason. Rooted for Bruin s last year cause me and wife wanted him to get a cup. She went a little to far and bought a bobble head of him which i disapproved of (she has a crush on him but moreso Clarkson) but it was okay cause i noticed it looked more like her friends husband which skeeved her out.

this could hurt the Devils chances of getting Tukka Rask. I really want him for a backup/potential Marty replacement someday (him or that anderson guy on Vancouver). Thomas is a class act, i respect him for boycotting the white house for whatever reason. Rooted for Bruin s last year cause me and wife wanted him to get a cup. She went a little to far and bought a bobble head of him which i disapproved of (she has a crush on him but moreso Clarkson) but it was okay cause i noticed it looked more like her friends husband which skeeved her out.

You respect him for making a non-political event, a political event?

Congrats on an awful post through and through.

• Like 3

You respect him for making a non-political event, a political event?

he didnt go to prove a point that he feels government is screwing people over, though hes a republican, he thinks its both sides. most people who pick a side mindlessly vote for that side thinking it will help them out. good for him to see it how it is, both sides screw us and take away sh!t day by day. the only stupid part of the whole thing is he assumes the president, demorcratic or republican , has any real control over anything. and in a way, it is a political event, sure its just hte president meeting with the champions, but every president does it and its just a press op to make them look good, distract people from real news etc.

:doh1:

This is my third face palm for since this afternoon...some weird threads and posts today.

Edited by Zubie#8

sorry, ive been drinking beer nad playing Super Tecmo bowl in my basement. i read the vague article, not the comment. IF he is not playing next year cause of the white house thing and his political views, then thats stupid. It's his right not to go (liberal media will make it look extra bad so he came off as a jerk, other way around he'd be honorable) but giving up a year, or career at his age, for that is dumb and pointless. He'll find out no one cares about politics. Look at what stories make the newspapers these days. anyhow, I dont care what anyone says, i would love it if the devils got Tukka Rask (contract stuff and all that probably wont make it possible).

he didnt go to prove a point that he feels government is screwing people over, though hes a republican, he thinks its both sides. most people who pick a side mindlessly vote for that side thinking it will help them out. good for him to see it how it is, both sides screw us and take away sh!t day by day. the only stupid part of the whole thing is he assumes the president, demorcratic or republican , has any real control over anything. and in a way, it is a political event, sure its just hte president meeting with the champions, but every president does it and its just a press op to make them look good, distract people from real news etc.

It was a ridiculous stance to take. A team visiting the White House after winning a championship has nothing to do with politics. He disrespected his teammates and the city of Boston with that stunt. He could've just as easily done what James Harrison of the Steelers did and say "I didnt want to go", which Harrison did both times the Steelers have one (one with Bush, one with Obama) and barely anyone gave a sh!t. Instead he made something which has become tradition for champions of all sports a political talking point. He knew what would happen with his statement. It was a selfish, dickheaded move. No matter your politics, its an honor to be invited to the White House by the President. You don't have to respect the man or party, but respect the office.

• Like 3

It was a ridiculous stance to take. A team visiting the White House after winning a championship has nothing to do with politics. He disrespected his teammates and the city of Boston with that stunt. He could've just as easily done what James Harrison of the Steelers did and say "I didnt want to go", which Harrison did both times the Steelers have one (one with Bush, one with Obama) and barely anyone gave a sh!t. Instead he made something which has become tradition for champions of all sports a political talking point. He knew what would happen with his statement. It was a selfish, dickheaded move. No matter your politics, its an honor to be invited to the White House by the President. You don't have to respect the man or party, but respect the office.

I never really thought too much into it but i realize you're right, he did represent the Bruins, Boston and the NHL. i guess if the Devils won and one of the players did that, i guess it would kinda piss me off. Ruin the momement, whether i agreed or disagreed. Probably be a bigger story if it was a foreign player. imagine that. Probably should use his money to start a charity to protest whatever he didnt like about the white house if possible or use that for a platform, while donating money.

ghdi basically summed up my view on it. just because the president is involved doesn't make something political, they have been greeting champions for how many decades now? How often do you get to meet the president of the United States? but whatever that's a personal choice and I think he was just foolish to pass it up but to each his own.

What was selfish and stupid on his part was releasing a statement about it, and then defending it a number of times there after. It really distracted from the achievement and honor that his team had accomplished and was bestowed. Even if you don't want to go, be quiet about it, lie and say you were sick, or had a previous personal family issue to attend too or something if for nothing else not to take away from your teammates moment.

• Like 1

Sabbatical? What is he some fvcking professor doing some research on how his Bruins blew it in the playoffs this year and needs the time off to do it?

While a nice guy and all this just reads as if he is quitting when the times get a little rough.

Edited by DevsMan84

ghdi basically summed up my view on it. just because the president is involved doesn't make something political, they have been greeting champions for how many decades now? How often do you get to meet the president of the United States? but whatever that's a personal choice and I think he was just foolish to pass it up but to each his own.

What was selfish and stupid on his part was releasing a statement about it, and then defending it a number of times there after. It really distracted from the achievement and honor that his team had accomplished and was bestowed. Even if you don't want to go, be quiet about it, lie and say you were sick, or had a previous personal family issue to attend too or something if for nothing else not to take away from your teammates moment.

Agree. I lost all respect for him after this. I think Thomas has a lot of bad Karma around since this incidence. I don't blame the B's for looking to dump him. He has lost the aspect of "team first".

Ever since he was smashing his sticks on the post and sprinting off the ice after shootout losses I knew Thomas was a nut job. Lately he's also shown to be a serious attention whore. Stanley Cups playoffs under way? Better make a big deal to the media about how I'm considering not playing next year. He also embarrassed himself with the White House stuff. If he doesn't play, the Bruins are still on the hook for his $5 mil cap hit. So if this "sabbatical" nonsense turns out to be legit and not just a huge attention-seeking stunt, he'll really be screwing over his team. Tuukka Rask would be happy.

Edited by iamtheprodigy

He's only 2 years older than Brodeur...sabbatical? Are you kidding me? What a drama queen...you only have so many quality years left. If you dont love the game then just outright retire and shut up.

He's only 2 years older than Brodeur...sabbatical? Are you kidding me? What a drama queen...you only have so many quality years left. If you dont love the game then just outright retire and shut up.

Younger, but yeah you are correct. It's a curious decision to say the least from a career standpoint. Maybe he's just burned out.

In any case there's all these stories about the cap ramifications for the Bruins out now if this happens, which are all moot because a new CBA will be negotiated this offseason.