Volchenkov fractures ankle... out 4-6 weeks

msweet

If the NHL and NHL Players’ Association somehow reach an agreement this week and are able to begin the regular season on Nov. 2—as proposed by commissioner Gary Bettman—the Devils will have to begin it without defenseman Anton Volchenkov.

Volchenkov fractured his ankle while playing for Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod in the Kontinental Hockey League. He is expected to miss four to six weeks, according to Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello. Lamoriello said he has not spoken to Volchenkov, but did speak to his agent, who informed him of the injury. Lamoriello did not know how Volchenkov fractured his ankle.

If the NHL lockout were to end while Volchenkov was still recovering, the Devils could suspend him without pay until he is healthy enough to play.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/volchenkov_fractures_ankle_while_playing_in_khl_out_4-6_weeks/

This can't be good. Volch looked like he had concrete skates on all playoffs, wonder if he broke the ankle on the same side as his foot injury from the playoffs. Either way, the guy was never the fleetest of foot, but after the injury last spring and this broken ankle, will he be able to keep up?

Look on the bright side: the Devils' medical staff won't be treating him.

That plus the Devils actually got better vis-a-vis injuries last year...at least in terms of not misdiagnosing them.

I'd say the season either starts in two weeks, six weeks or not at all. And two weeks looks more remote by the day, so not a big deal, especially now that the injury wasn't as serious as first reported.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Anyone else think someone (be it a trainer, coach, or whoever) needs to sit Volchenkov down and tell him to stop blocking shots as often as he does?

I mean, I get it, that's what he does. And he's a warrior and what not. But he just can't seem to avoid taking a puck to a vulnerable spot, it seems.

I'd prefer less shot blocking, more big hits. But that's just my opinion.

Anyone else think someone (be it a trainer, coach, or whoever) needs to sit Volchenkov down and tell him to stop blocking shots as often as he does?

I mean, I get it, that's what he does. And he's a warrior and what not. But he just can't seem to avoid taking a puck to a vulnerable spot, it seems.

I'd prefer less shot blocking, more big hits. But that's just my opinion.

I mean, I hate to say it, but the guy just doesn't know when to give up on blocking a shot when it's coming for a soft spot. He's only been on the team a couple years and I've already seen him hit in the face with a puck more than the rest of the team put together.

I mean, I hate to say it, but the guy just doesn't know when to give up on blocking a shot when it's coming for a soft spot. He's only been on the team a couple years and I've already seen him hit in the face with a puck more than the rest of the team put together.

It's pretty hard to know where exactly the puck is going to hit you.

It's pretty hard to know where exactly the puck is going to hit you.

Very true, but then he must have a puck magnet in the center of his face or something. My real point was that his style of play constantly leaves him vulnerable to being hit by pucks. Sometimes, even to his detriment at times, Volch watches for the shot to come in and will always do his best to get in front of that shot. Respectable, but man, one look at his face and you know the price he paid....poor fella.