Martin Brodeur Will Test Free Agency: ESPN

Devil Dan 56

Fair enough. I couldn't quite tell honestly and I've seen enough people that have this sentiment of "Cory can wait for Marty" that I had to say something because I think it's just insane. I guess it shows how many people see Marty AS the Devils and can't separate the two, especially the casual fans. I'm personally hoping Marty doesn't come back. Not because I wouldn't love to see him finish here, but because I don't trust our coach to not pump him up with comments about having two starters and blah blah. That shadow hovering over Cory wouldn't be good for anyone.

I agree with you. I hope they make Schneider the starter and don't play the "no one is being handed the position" game and make him compete with Marty or others. It would only piss the guy off.

It just really can't happen. Favre was going to Minny to be the starter. Marty won't be the starting goaltender just about anywhere. If he finds a team to let him start or split, it certainly is not going to be a team that's as good as those Vikings were - with the equivalent of Adrian Peterson, Sydney Rice, Jared Allen, Steve Hutchinson, Percy Harvin, etc...

To your first point - agreed, it looks like there isn't much to worry about there. Both sides seem committed to a long-term deal that makes Cory the full-time starter.

As for Kinkaid, well I am just not into the whole Wedgewood/Kinkaid thing. There are enough solid backups who are UFA this year, that we should be choosing from. I could make the argument that backups are better now than they have ever been before; a lot of them could probably be starters.

I agree that I would rather see an established NHL goalie come here to backup, but Kinkaid won't cost much, and like I said, if it starts to look like he can't handle the job, Lou can go out and either trade for or sign someone.

This is a situation where you find out what you've got early on...Kinkaid will soon be 25 and already has three AHL seasons under his belt...I'm not sure what a 4th AHL season is going to do for his development.  Might as well find out how he fares in NHL starts now, and if he falters, then you can probably start to write him out of the Devils' plans as a future 20-25 start backup. 

I agree that I would rather see an established NHL goalie come here to backup, but Kinkaid won't cost much, and like I said, if it starts to look like he can't handle the job, Lou can go out and either trade for or sign someone.

This is a situation where you find out what you've got early on...Kinkaid will soon be 25 and already has three AHL seasons under his belt...I'm not sure what a 4th AHL season is going to do for his development.  Might as well find out how he fares in NHL starts now, and if he falters, then you can probably start to write him out of the Devils' plans as a future 20-25 start backup. 

You could still do that if you sign a vet back up on a short term deal. No reason he couldn't get a game in here or there even if we sign a back up in FA. I don't think this team can really afford to "see what we got" in Kinkaid if we go into next year without a major signing or trade to bolster our forward group.

Kinkaid won't cost much but neither will a lot of the backups out there who are much better than him. I'd like to have the backup situation that the Ducks, Kings, Bruins, etc... had this year.

As far as Kinkaid not benefiting form another AHL season goes, well...agreed...but I guess my perspective is that Kinkaid is indeed a lifetime AHLer. I refer to Feisty's post for the expertise in that department.

I can not see Lou NOT going after an experienced NHL backup (I said backup, so lets rule out Brodeur). This team is most likely not going to be a great offensive team. They aren't a lock for the playoffs. There will probably be 22 games allocated to a goalie not named Schneider, and if you are Lou, do you feel comfortable going with Kinkaid in that spot?

This isn't the the defending champs going with Scott Clemmensen in 2004 where you also have a goalie that you know can play 75-76 games easily.

Edited by devilsrule33

I can not see Lou NOT going after an experienced NHL backup (I said backup, so lets rule out Brodeur). This team is most likely not going to be a great offensive team. They aren't a lock for the playoffs. There will probably be 22 games allocated to a goalie not named Schneider, and if you are Lou, do you feel comfortable going with Kinkaid in that spot?

This isn't the the defending champs going with Scott Clemmensen in 2004 where you also have a goalie that you know can play 75-76 games easily.

If the Devils don't bring back Brodeur, I'd be surprised if the backup played more than 15 games.  

I agree, Chad Johnson was a fluke this year, but I believe in going with some homegrown players this next season. Allow Kinkaid to have 5 to 10 games to see how he handles it, and then judge by that.  This allows Wedgewood to start in Albany.  Progess these players. 

I agree, Chad Johnson was a fluke this year, but I believe in going with some homegrown players this next season. Allow Kinkaid to have 5 to 10 games to see how he handles it, and then judge by that.  This allows Wedgewood to start in Albany.  Progess these players. 

I don't disagree one bit with anyone who wants to see the Devils sign an established backup, but Wedge is part of what my thinking is, on why I wouldn't mind seeing Kinkaid get a shot at the backup role here.  I wouldn't mind seeing Wedge get 50+ starts in the A.   

What would probably be most ideal would be Kinkaid being a throw-in in some off-season deal, Wedge becoming the Albany #1, and Lou signing or dealing for an NHL backup.  Backup goalies are a little bit like bullpen pitchers, and in that you don't always know what you're going to get, but I admit that going with Kinkaid would definitely be rolling the dice.  I'd love to know what Lou's thinking is...clearly Lou doesn't think that much of Kinkaid or Wedge as #1 starters, otherwise he doesn't give up a Top-10 first-rounder for Schneider.  But does he think either one of those guys has a career here as a backup (less glamorous, but still important)?   

I don't see Kinkaid for one reason...it's been a long while since Lou even went with a rookie backup.  Clemmensen was the last really green guy that was the backup and he never played in '04 or '06.  He got some games in Toronto after that before he came back as third choice behind Weekes.  Before that JF Damphousse played a handful of games until he got streeted for Beezer's return.  The last young goalie they actually trusted was Dunham.

If the backup is Kinkaid then the idea is definitely to get Cory 70+.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I don't see Kinkaid for one reason...it's been a long while since Lou even went with a rookie backup.  Clemmensen was the last really green guy that was the backup and he never played in '04 or '06.  He got some games in Toronto after that before he came back as third choice behind Weekes.  Before that JF Damphousse played a handful of games until he got streeted for Beezer's return.  The last young goalie they actually trusted was Dunham.

If the backup is Kinkaid then the idea is definitely to get Cory 70+.

This is very true and hard to dispute.  I didn't think about Lou and his history.  Good post.  However, by this logic, still good because a 70+ game Cory Schneider is a happy Cory Schneider, and a happy Cory should want to re-sign.

Yeah but even with Marty playing 70+ they still signed guys like Weekes, Yann Danis, Corey Schwab and Beezer over the years so it's probably unlikely Kinkaid's the primary backup.  Just saying that was the only scenario where I 'could' see him being the primary backup, a Clemmensen-2006 type arrangement.  Which I doubt they'd do this year since Cory's never played more than 45 games in a season before.

This is very true and hard to dispute.  I didn't think about Lou and his history.  Good post.  However, by this logic, still good because a 70+ game Cory Schneider is a happy Cory Schneider, and a happy Cory should want to re-sign.

Only thing about that is not too many guys can start 70+ games every season the way Marty did, and some people think Marty might've benefitted from a lighter regular-season load come playoff time.  I think if you've got a decent back-up, it's probably preferable to keep the #1 guy's workload to 60-65 games. 

Can't really argue Tri's point re:  Wedge...regardless of whether or not Lou thinks Kinkaid is ready to vie for the backup job, it's extremely dangerous to have Wedge be one Cory or Kinkaid injury away from having to play up here.  So yeah, Lou goes out and gets a proven #2-type, Kinkaid is #3, Wedge is #4. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Only thing about that is not too many guys can start 70+ games every season the way Marty did, and some people think Marty might've benefitted from a lighter regular-season load come playoff time.  I think if you've got a decent back, it's probably preferable to keep the #1 guy's workload to 60-65 games. 

Can't really argue Tri's point re:  Wedge...regardless of whether or not Lou thinks Kinkaid is ready to vie for the backup job, it's extremely dangerous to have Wedge be one Cory or Kinkaid injury away from having to play up here.  So yeah, Lou goes out and gets a proven #2-type, Kinkaid is #3, Wedge is #4. 

Well, Clemmensen will be a UFA, so let the re-tread speculation begin!!!

Vokoun, MacDonald, Emery, Gustavsson, and Labarbera are probably possibilities too, knowing Lou's love of veteran back ups.

Vokoun, MacDonald, Emery, Gustavsson, and Labarbera are probably possibilities too, knowing Lou's love of veteran back ups.

Giguere is out there too.  37 years old though. 

Of course, you can file under RST (for Really Scary Thoughts):

Cory re-signs long-term.

Lou brings in a veteran back-up.

Kinkaid and Wedge stay in the A.

Cory plays great but gets injured in late October/early November and is slated to miss 3-4 months.

If #30 is still unsigned at that point, how quickly do you think he's back in NJ?  And how many times will Lou and PDB say how lucky the Devils are, in that a top NHL goaltender was out there for the taking? 

Basically, this is a way of saying that if Cory ever gets hurt long-term, the goaltending tandem isn't going to be everyone moving up one spot within the Devils' organization.  It's going to be Marty filling in for Cory. 

Cory re-signs long-term.

Cory plays great but gets injured in late October/early November and is slated to miss 3-4 months.

If #30 is still unsigned at that point, how quickly do you think he's back in NJ?  And how many times will Lou and PDB say how lucky the Devils are, in that a top NHL goaltender was out there for the taking? 

Basically, this is a way of saying that if Cory ever gets hurt long-term, the goaltending tandem isn't going to be everyone moving up one spot within the Devils' organization.  It's going to be Marty filling in for Cory. 

Personally, I'm just hoping some team gives Marty 4 million  bucks on July 1st and we never have to worry about any of that.

Bryzgalov is UFA too. I'd take him just for entertainment value in post game interviews.

• Like 1

Cory re-signs long-term.

That scenario wouldn't happen because if Marty literally has zero interest from the other 29 teams he's just going to go away quietly (retire).  Especially since if Kinkaid's still in the A they've presumably signed an NHL goaltender to fill the backup role.

That scenario wouldn't happen because if Marty literally has zero interest from the other 29 teams he's just going to go away quietly (retire).  Especially since if Kinkaid's still in the A they've presumably signed an NHL goaltender to fill the backup role.

He'll go away quietly, but he won't file retirement paperwork for exactly the reason CR1976 posted. If any team loses a goalie mid-season, they may come to him. He will leave that window open for at least a season.

Re-read my post...you have everyone in the Devils moving up one spot (NHL backup becomes the #1, Kinkaid becomes the NHL backup, Wedge becomes the clear #1 at Albany).  I think if Cory suffers a long-term injury, everyone else stays where they are, and Lou welcomes back a waiting-to-be-signed Marty and signs him to a one-year, pro-rated deal. 

Of course, if Marty signs with someone else, and Cory never suffers a significant, multi-month injury, then this scenario doesn't happen.