The Official "2012 Playoffs Excitement" Thread

Colin226

the sign of a good team is finding a way to win in the playoffs it doesnt matter of you win ugly or pretty. over 16 wins it's going to take ugly games and series. sure the senators gave them all they could handle and were a few calls away from eliminating them. the capitals are giving them all they can handle now but they wont win the series. the capitals wont win the next 3 out of 4 against a team that hasnt shown its capable of such a collapse. the rangers are surviving. theyve done so all year blocking shots, hard forechecking, relying on big pads and the d to jump in the play. theyve also avoided major injuries to key players for long stretches. dubinsky being hurt is actually helping them and losing boyle was an opening for Krieder.

only a skilled offensive team can exploit the rangers. the capitals arent that anymore and they arent reverting back, the penguins are gone and the flyers dont have the goaltending.

the kings? its how you view them. you can view them as an 8th place team and a reason for being so or you can view them as a dangerous 8th place team with alot of skill and size that can grit and grind too. you look at that team on paper and they should go deep.

look the rangers have had it go their way all year. why would anyone think its ending anytime soon?

The Rangers could easily lose 3 of 4. Remember, they have to win 2 of the next 4, which is why talk like this is generally silly.

The Rangers have a terrible power play. That's continued into the post-season - their power play does not generate enough shots. With some poor goaltending or shooting luck they can be effective (like say, last night when a shot gets blocked twice and goes right on the stick of the man in front), but that's going to drag them down.

The Bruins won with a terrible power play by shooting the lights out 5 on 5. I don't see the Rangers doing this. The Rangers are, amazingly, only 6 and 4 in the playoffs despite the fact that Lundqvist has been phenomenal. Some of that is bad shooting luck, but that's my point - that's all it takes is having 2 or 3 bad shooting games and I don't care how good Lundqvist is, the Rangers are done. They don't get enough shots to the net to overcome that.

They could very well win the Cup - I'd be amazed, but I was kind of amazed when the Bruins did last year - but they're playing their top players an awful lot, and they're all blocking shots - it's going to be a real, real hard road.

I still don't know how they do it for the most part sometimes, but the Rags simply find ways to win games and that's really what counts. Can't call them a fluke at this point and they very well could win the cup *ugh*

Sad thing is they will get better as the years progress, just hope once we beat the Flyers (hopefully) we can beat them next round if they advance..

Edited by USAkid90

The Rangers could easily lose 3 of 4. Remember, they have to win 2 of the next 4, which is why talk like this is generally silly.

i wouldnt bet real $ on the rangers losing a game 7 at home or the capitals winning a best of 3 (going in 2-2) with 2 games at msg. just not happening. add onto that the rangers havent shown signs of collapsing that badly all year.

The Rangers have a terrible power play. That's continued into the post-season - their power play does not generate enough shots. With some poor goaltending or shooting luck they can be effective (like say, last night when a shot gets blocked twice and goes right on the stick of the man in front), but that's going to drag them down.

the Rangers had five power-play goals in the ottawa series and 13 man advantage goals in their last 12 games including the regular season up to the game 7 vs ottawa. their pp saved their season in game 6 of that series. they got a lucky pp goal last night but its may you take it. they had a pp goal in game 2, as well.

The Bruins won with a terrible power play by shooting the lights out 5 on 5. I don't see the Rangers doing this. The Rangers are, amazingly, only 6 and 4 in the playoffs despite the fact that Lundqvist has been phenomenal. Some of that is bad shooting luck, but that's my point - that's all it takes is having 2 or 3 bad shooting games and I don't care how good Lundqvist is, the Rangers are done. They don't get enough shots to the net to overcome that.

They could very well win the Cup - I'd be amazed, but I was kind of amazed when the Bruins did last year - but they're playing their top players an awful lot, and they're all blocking shots - it's going to be a real, real hard road.

i agree they can be exploited but by whom? its just that feeling that its their year no matter what and theyll be the type of team that goes 11 losses and still wins the cup. ugly which is their specialty.

i wouldnt bet real $ on the rangers losing a game 7 at home or the capitals winning a best of 3 (going in 2-2) with 2 games at msg. just not happening. add onto that the rangers havent shown signs of collapsing that badly all year.

Would you bet on the Bruins losing a Game 7 at home? That happened. This 'can't lose a game 7 at home' is silly talk, it's not the NBA, teams lose home Game 7s all the time. Vancouver lost one in the Cup Finals last year.

the Rangers had five power-play goals in the ottawa series and 13 man advantage goals in their last 12 games including the regular season up to the game 7 vs ottawa. their pp saved their season in game 6 of that series. they got a lucky pp goal last night but its may you take it. they had a pp goal in game 2, as well.

Their power play still blows. They got a ton of power play chances against Ottawa. The refs will have to start gifting them 5 on 3s like in Game 6 of the Ottawa series if they want to win.

i agree they can be exploited but by whom? its just that feeling that its their year no matter what and theyll be the type of team that goes 11 losses and still wins the cup. ugly which is their specialty.

The idea that it's their year 'no matter what' is totally ridiculous. You may as well say that the Hockey Gods have blessed them. They're not a particularly good team outside of their goaltender - they play good defense but do so by limiting their own shots - and it's up to Lundqvist how far they'll go. They are playing their top players an absolute ton of minutes.

Would you bet on the Bruins losing a Game 7 at home? That happened. This 'can't lose a game 7 at home' is silly talk, it's not the NBA, teams lose home Game 7s all the time. Vancouver lost one in the Cup Finals last year.

strawman much? were not talking about the bruins or the canucks here were talking about the rangers. a game 7 is a coin flip but im going to go with the home team more often then not. theyve never lost a game 7 at home in their history and that wont change this year. teams play the regular season for position to have the chance to play a game 7 at home. not one team or player would not want to even if its a 50/50 prospect. im also a believer in the "last change" advantage at home too depending on the team and coach. some people dismiss it but to the right team its an advantage.

Their power play still blows. They got a ton of power play chances against Ottawa. The refs will have to start gifting them 5 on 3s like in Game 6 of the Ottawa series if they want to win.

they got it and they took advantage and they moved on. sometimes it isnt how many you get and score on its when you get them and do especially when you win.

The idea that it's their year 'no matter what' is totally ridiculous. You may as well say that the Hockey Gods have blessed them. They're not a particularly good team outside of their goaltender - they play good defense but do so by limiting their own shots - and it's up to Lundqvist how far they'll go. They are playing their top players an absolute ton of minutes.

thats because i think it was the rockies1976 member who said it somewhere that you dont see the game as a fan only from a stat viewpoint. there are teams you just get a feeling about that stats cant predict.

thats because i think it was the rockies1976 member who said it somewhere that you dont see the game as a fan only from a stat viewpoint. there are teams you just get a feeling about that stats cant predict.

Just like all the people who had a feeling about the Penguins. A "feeling" is just a worthless way to try and strengthen an opinion or superstition, it doesn't make it wrong, but it's useless.

Just like all the people who had a feeling about the Penguins. A "feeling" is just a worthless way to try and strengthen an opinion or superstition, it doesn't make it wrong, but it's useless.

who? penguin fans? the penguin loving media? the nhl?

youre not much of a sports gambler are you?

who? penguin fans? the penguin loving media? the nhl?

youre not much of a sports gambler are you?

Who? Lots of people. So, the point being, why are their feelings wrong but your feelings are going to be right more often?

I've done pretty well with my sports gambling in my life, but I tend to do mostly poker for gambling now and I do pretty well with it. Poker is another gambling form where "feelings" get you in trouble more than they help you.

I imagine you've made lots of money sports gambling since your feelings lead you true, more often than not? Underdogs, especially if you can parlay a few, can really pay big money.

Edited by Devils731

strawman much? were not talking about the bruins or the canucks here were talking about the rangers. a game 7 is a coin flip but im going to go with the home team more often then not. theyve never lost a game 7 at home in their history and that wont change this year. teams play the regular season for position to have the chance to play a game 7 at home. not one team or player would not want to even if its a 50/50 prospect. im also a believer in the "last change" advantage at home too depending on the team and coach. some people dismiss it but to the right team its an advantage.

Yes, it is an advantage. The referees, also typically an advantage - studies have shown that it's the refs who tend to make up much of 'home team advantage' across hockey, football, and basketball. But it's a tiny advantage. LOL at mentioning that they haven't lost a home game 7 in their history - who cares? Are the 1994 Rangers playing? No, so that has absolutely nothing to do with possible future Game 7s.

And those feelings tend to be wrong, and we tend to forget about them when they are wrong.

I really couldn't believe this when I looked it up, but the Rangers are 4-5 in Game 7's. I was kinda shocked that they've played in so few over a nearly 90 year history. Doesn't do much to lend to the conversation, but I found it surprising.

Also, Lundqvist is now 1-7 in playoff overtime. So.. yay.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

I really couldn't believe this when I looked it up, but the Rangers are 4-5 in Game 7's. I was kinda shocked that they've played in so few over a nearly 90 year history. Doesn't do much to lend to the conversation, but I found it surprising.

Also, Lundqvist is now 1-7 in playoff overtime. So.. yay.

2-7, he won an OT game against the Sabres early in his career

still horrible, the Rangers are a horrible OT team...and why shouldn't they be. They play just like the mid to late 90's Devils.

2-7, he won an OT game against the Sabres early in his career

still horrible, the Rangers are a horrible OT team...and why shouldn't they be. They play just like the mid to late 90's Devils.

There's no reason for either team to be horrible OT teams except blind luck. I don't think there's a secret to overtime wins.

Put it this way, Lundqvist lost his last 7 playoff OTs. That means in all of them, he gave up the first goal. Even if the Rangers only had 30 shots in those 7 OTs, they should be winning one of them.

Edited by Triumph

In fairness, I don't go 100% by feeling and throw stats and/or advanced metrics out the window. I try to incorporate everything, along with what I've learned from watching from hockey for the last 28 years, to the table when I'm trying to predict how the Devils might fare. Sometimes I do get hunches, like every normal fan does, based on a number of factors...and like everyone else, some turn out to be on-the-money and some are nowhere near what I would've thought.

Am I always right? Hell no, of course not, not even close. But neither are the over-the-top sabermetricians, who also get stuff wrong too, and some of them have a way of acting like embracing sabermetrics in all sports is practically foolproof, and instantly makes them both smarter and cooler than everyone else in the room.

• Like 1

In fairness, I don't go 100% by feeling and throw stats and/or advanced metrics out the window. I try to incorporate everything, along with what I've learned from watching from hockey for the last 28 years, to the table when I'm trying to predict how the Devils might fare. Sometimes I do get hunches, like every normal fan does, based on a number of factors...and like everyone else, some turn out to be on-the-money and some are nowhere near what I would've thought.

Am I always right? Hell no, of course not, not even close. But neither are the over-the-top sabermetricians, who also get stuff wrong too, and some of them have a way of acting like embracing sabermetrics in all sports is practically foolproof, and instantly makes them both smarter and cooler than everyone else in the room.

That part times a million

If I wanted to hear from Rangers fans I'd go to hf boards. You should take a cue from Derek and go away.

derek was a damn fool. we chased him off the rangers board a long time ago. He came here for acceptance and people actually liked him back then. I come here on occassion and every now and then will post. Could care less about babies who want say, "Go to a rangers board" or whatever other whiny things people want to write. Actually find it funny.

hf boards? uhm, no. They have 4 threads in which I will post, 2 are about tickets, 1 is about the renovations, and now that I think about it, I can't even remember the 4th thread. Too many kids on that site and WAY too sensitive. Just to give you an idea, apparently the Rangers fan mods have convinced the other mods that referring to the Rangers as the Rags is offensive and they should edit posts. Not sure how hard they are doing it, but the Rangers mods have also stated that rangers fans are no longer to refer to teams in such manner like the "Failures" "Philthys" "Debbies" or "Icelanders" to name a few. I read that and just couldn't help but laugh. As if political correctness hasn't taken over ever facet of life, if it is now infiltrated hockey message boards.

They're not. You think struggling with the Capitals and Senators proves they can take on any of the best teams left? If the Kings and Rangers both make it to the Cup Final, the Kings are actually 'a cut above' - they don't spend 2/3rds of the game in their own end trying to block shots.

I read this post, then read the posters name and Triumph, have to say I am surprised. You should know this how the Rangers have played all season. Every game is a battle, and they do not blow teams out. Not 100% sure off the top of my head, but I believe the only Eastern Conference team they swept was the Flyers. Rangers style is sell out defensively, sacrifice the body to block shots, and be patient offensively. If they do go on and win it all, I fully expect every game to be a battle from start to finish. Ok, maybe not EVERY game for those of you who take everything written on a message board literally. But, the better majority of the games are going to come down to the wire. Frankly, wouldn't be shocked if the Rangers end this series with Washington in 5, or if it goes 7. Would also be surprised if any of the games are blow outs. And yes, I do think they can beat every team left.

Flyers? Yes, can score but their defense and goaltending is terrible and like I said earlier, their big guns havent been able to solve Lundqvist unlike the Pens scorers.

Devils? No shootouts in the play-offs and for the most part Lundqvist has owned the Devils since the conclusion of the 2006 play-off series.

Coyotes? Again, who is going to score for them and Mike Smith will screw something up.

Kings? Play like the Rangers, defense first and have a great goalie. Each game would be simply whoever plays better that day.

Blues? They tough to judge as I honestly just havent watched them much. Although, think they are not going to survive this round. Want to try to watch at least some of their game with the Kings tonight.

Preds? Another team I really dont know much about aside from Rinne. Have watched them a little, and have thought they looked very beatable.

If the sabermetric nerds actually believed their own non-sense they would be making millions gambling using their sabermetrics. Wasn't there someone on here earlier in the season, (want to say around Xmas) saying how the Rangers were doing it with smoke and mirrors and how they will fall out of the top spot because their defensemen shooting percentage was much higher than the league average and once that normalized they would start losing more? Pretty sure it was on here and I just laughed.

Amazing isn't it? The Kings always had the capability of being a deadly team whenever their offense caught fire.

I had no doubts the Kings would take the Blues. I think the Blues were overrated all year and they aren't as talented as the media portrayed them. I don't like the Blues or that sh!t hole of a city. I hope they get swept.