NFL Off Season 2014 - Coaches, Caps, and Combines OH MY!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

Official NFL.com Coach Tracker - summary:

Fired:

• Jim Schwartz, Detroit
  • Greg Schiano + Mark Dominik (GM), Tampa Bay
  • Mike Shanahan + friends, Washington
  • Leslie Frazer, Minnesota
  • Rob Chudzinski, Cleveland
  • And, of course, Gary Kubiak of Houston from Dec 6

Limbo:

• Jason Garrett & Monte Kiffin (DC), Dallas
  • Joe Philbin, Mike Sherman (OC), and Jeff Ireland (GM), Miami
  • Mike Munchak & Lowell Doggains (OC), Tennessee
  • Dennis Allen & Reggie McKenzie (GM), Oakland

Safe:

• Tom Coughlin, Giants (will decide his own fate, sounds like he wants to come back to NY)
  • Rex Ryan, Jets (Back for 2014 for sure, looking for longer extension)

I will try to update the head post for at least the coaching vacancies, but that has proved to be a fruitless effort in the past.  We'll see if it lasts through the off-season

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its seems that Allen is staying as of right now. It'd be stupid to fire either him or their GM.

I saw a rumor of Schieno back to college football and the DC of Seattle seems very probable for Houston or Cleveland( I forget who just interviewed him)

Edited by CarterforPresident

And if he ever did go to Penn State, get your popcorn ready - Rutgers' first game as a Big Ten member next year is against...Penn State.

and my head will overload and explode from having that much hatred for both teams and even I won't know how to handle it :P

Costly and questionable move by Houston.

Care to quantify the "questionable" tag?

Also of note:

CBS Sports believes that Jim Schwartz will be the DC of Cleveland regardless of the head coach selected, and that Cleveland will not be retaining Norv Turner as OC.  http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24394009/cleveland-browns-want-to-interview-auburns-malzahn-vandys-franklin

Also of note:

CBS Sports believes that Jim Schwartz will be the DC of Cleveland regardless of the head coach selected, and that Cleveland will not be retaining Norv Turner as OC.  http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24394009/cleveland-browns-want-to-interview-auburns-malzahn-vandys-franklin

Well every Belichick tree head coach has been catastrophically awful. There's that 

Well every Belichick tree head coach has been catastrophically awful. There's that 

Partial exception to that being Nick Sabain as a major college HC.

The cross-pollination of coaches and front office staff now in the NFL and major NCAA football is so vast that you could argue that there are no coaching trees anymore.  The press loved the whole angle of the Bill Walsh to Mike Holmgren "tree" angle because it was a cute easy story.  In reality they were part of the Paul Brown tree which 9/10's of the entire NFL is related.  Belichick is considered part of the Parcells's tree but is just as much a part of the Paul Brown tree as well.  Its easier than 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon.

And they complain about this in Dallas?? Who the hell wants to be a head coach when they can't pick their staff???

Shame, Schwartz is gonna ruin an on the cusp of being VERY good as a defensive unit....

Wasn't Pete Carroll in that tree too?

Lovie to Tampa!

And every NFL Owner now has to add Dennis Green to their speed dial as the "obligatory black coach I gotta call and interview to fulfill the NFL's stupid Affirmative Action Policy" :P

(it's a good fit in Tampa for him)

Also of note:

First off he is a college coach, with no NFL HC experience, which is a pretty big risk right there.  He was an NFL assistant coordinator and QB coach (like Kubiak and the failed Josh McDaniel)    Also, from my understanding the Texans also have to pay Penn State $6 million just to get him out of his current contract

I think the Texans could have benefited from a Defensive coach and hired a OC to run the offense.    To me they just hired an inexperienced Kubiak part II

Partial exception to that being Nick Sabain as a major college HC.

The cross-pollination of coaches and front office staff now in the NFL and major NCAA football is so vast that you could argue that there are no coaching trees anymore.  The press loved the whole angle of the Bill Walsh to Mike Holmgren "tree" angle because it was a cute easy story.  In reality they were part of the Paul Brown tree which 9/10's of the entire NFL is related.  Belichick is considered part of the Parcells's tree but is just as much a part of the Paul Brown tree as well.  Its easier than 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Saban was a failure as an NFL coach.   It's easier to be successful in college.

Houston needs to fix their QB situation....DESPERATELY.... makes sense to bring in an offensive guy, especially with drafting a QB being painfully obvious

I think you're also not taking into account the difficult and no-win situation that O'Brien got the job.....right off the Paterno/Sandusky saga.....Penn St was at an all-time low and people were thinking it would take years and years to rebuild the team's rep and be successful again....he went 15-9 in those two years.....that's pretty damned good....being able to overcome that level of circumstance HAS to be factored in also

In more madness...you can take Jay Cutler off the market... SEVEN YEARS he got :blink:

The Bears announced that Cutler, who will turn 31 before next season, has been signed to a seven-year extension. The team also said guard Matt Slauson and cornerback Tim Jennings were signed to four-year extensions.

Alex Marvez of Fox Sports reported that Cutler will make about $18 million in each of the first three years of the deal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/chicago-bears-quarterback-jay-cutler-sign-him-seven-154934103--nfl.html

And according to NFL Memes the Packers just clinched the next 7 NFC North Titles :lol:

Houston needs to fix their QB situation....DESPERATELY.... makes sense to bring in an offensive guy, especially with drafting a QB being painfully obvious

I think you're also not taking into account the difficult and no-win situation that O'Brien got the job.....right off the Paterno/Sandusky saga.....Penn St was at an all-time low and people were thinking it would take years and years to rebuild the team's rep and be successful again....he went 15-9 in those two years.....that's pretty damned good....being able to overcome that level of circumstance HAS to be factored in also

Again, the HC has more to worry about than the QB. Hire a good OC and share the responsibility. What you are suggesting is basically to go back to what got them there in the first place.

And they complain about this in Dallas?? Who the hell wants to be a head coach when they can't pick their staff???

Shame, Schwartz is gonna ruin an on the cusp of being VERY good as a defensive unit....

Wasn't Pete Carroll in that tree too?

And every NFL Owner now has to add Dennis Green to their speed dial as the "obligatory black coach I gotta call and interview to fulfill the NFL's stupid Affirmative Action Policy" :P

(it's a good fit in Tampa for him)

Jim Caldwell is on the interview circuit, he's going to fulfill the role of "Token" for the rest of the offseason methinks.  He's already hit up the Lions and Redskins.

What is the penalty if someone breaks the Rooney Rule anyway?

First off he is a college coach, with no NFL HC experience, which is a pretty big risk right there.  He was an NFL assistant coordinator and QB coach (like Kubiak and the failed Josh McDaniel)    Also, from my understanding the Texans also have to pay Penn State $6 million just to get him out of his current contract

Chip Kelly's done pretty well year 1 in Philly,

Also, this is a team not a lot of people are talking about with regard to being one of the best coaching situations...I don't know the cap situation, and I don't know if the zone blocking linemen is going to screw up O'Brien year 1 (maybe, maybe not) but Houston was 11th in total yards this year with the QB trainwreck they had and 7th in total yards defensively (3rd against the pass).  They got some incredibly bad breaks and turned the ball over too much; they find a QB that doesn't throw touchdowns to the other team and the Texans could turn it around in a hurry.

In more madness...you can take Jay Cutler off the market... SEVEN YEARS he got :blink:

The Bears announced that Cutler, who will turn 31 before next season, has been signed to a seven-year extension. The team also said guard Matt Slauson and cornerback Tim Jennings were signed to four-year extensions.

Alex Marvez of Fox Sports reported that Cutler will make about $18 million in each of the first three years of the deal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/chicago-bears-quarterback-jay-cutler-sign-him-seven-154934103--nfl.html

And according to NFL Memes the Packers just clinched the next 7 NFC North Titles :lol:

Wow...well, I can't fault Cutler, but seriously, Mark Trestman had that offense humming with 34 year old Josh McCown at QB...did Chicago really need to pay a premium for Jay like that?

Michael Vick is smiling though, he still thinks he can start and that's one more competing QB off the market.

Jim Caldwell is on the interview circuit, he's going to fulfill the role of "Token" for the rest of the offseason methinks.  He's already hit up the Lions and Redskins.

What is the penalty if someone breaks the Rooney Rule anyway?

Chip Kelly's done pretty well year 1 in Philly,

Also, this is a team not a lot of people are talking about with regard to being one of the best coaching situations...I don't know the cap situation, and I don't know if the zone blocking linemen is going to screw up O'Brien year 1 (maybe, maybe not) but Houston was 11th in total yards this year with the QB trainwreck they had and 7th in total yards defensively (3rd against the pass).  They got some incredibly bad breaks and turned the ball over too much; they find a QB that doesn't throw touchdowns to the other team and the Texans could turn it around in a hurry.

Wow...well, I can't fault Cutler, but seriously, Mark Trestman had that offense humming with 34 year old Josh McCown at QB...did Chicago really need to pay a premium for Jay like that?

Michael Vick is smiling though, he still thinks he can start and that's one more competing QB off the market.

:lol:..... damn I forget about Caldwell......I think  the penalty is a draft pick MORE SEVERE then the one they will take from the Steelers for the Tomlin incident, cause you know an owner/GM being biased with a team that their money and career hinge on is more serious then affecting actual play on the field right?

For every Chip Kelly there's five Schiano's though (speaking of....with Gilbride out...he's in the running for the Giant OC job....PLEASE GOD YES!!!)

Houston has the talent (aside of QB), and has anyone gone through as difficult a situation as O'Brien did in Penn State (maybe the Chiefs after the Belcher incident, but that was right before the season ended and everyone was fired).....being able to do well in that kinda scenario is a very good indicator....I stand behind that....

Franchise-type QB's don't grow on trees and McNown was too old to trust me thinks.....anyone still think Tony Romo is overpaid??? :P