1023 replies to this topic

#41 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

I generally try to get to a game per month, though this year it looks like it will be slightly more than that. I typically sit in the 130's sections out in LF. Great seats and the concessions around it are fantastic; Carvel, Keith's Grill, a pastrami sandwich stand, Beers of the World.

I'd be down for an NJDevs meetup type of thing. It's kind of funny how we've "known" each other from these threads dating back to what, 2006, 2007, yet never actually met.

Edited by nmigliore, 28 March 2012 - 03:02 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#42 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,501 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

I generally try to get to a game per month, though this year it looks like it will be slightly more than that. I typically sit in the 130's sections out in LF. Great seats and the concessions around it are fantastic; Carvel, Keith's Grill, a pastrami sandwich stand, Beers of the World.

I'd be down for an NJDevs meetup type of thing. It's kind of funny how we've "known" each other dating back to what, 2006, 2007, yet never actually met.

Yeah I'm pretty much good for sitting anywhere, aside from maybe the upper Promenade corner, although even if you got tickets there you could probably move over a few sections anyway :lol:

It is funny, I've met a bunch of NJDevs people but not anyone from this thread group, and we're all pretty 'familiar' with each other since there are only several real posting regulars in this thread.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#43 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,554 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

Yeah...geez nmig, you were a kid back then! You just turned 21, right? Too funny...and scary how quickly time goes...

If we do this, we're doing this RIGHT. That means tailgate! CR always has to have a good long tailgate. We'll probably have more fun during that than the game itself.

And yeah, wherever we sit is fine.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#44 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

Yeah same thing, just turned 20 beginning of March.

I think a meet up would be pretty cool, I probably wouldn't be able to make it though. Work like a slave in the summer. When I'm not working I'm a volunteer football coach at my old high school. Tough to make plans, normally I don't know if I can get to a game until the day before.

#45 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,501 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Well I'd say definitely a weekend if we're tailgating then lol, since when I go on Friday nights it's usually after work and via the train so I really have to hoof it just to get there for first pitch (and yet I like going Fridays cause I don't feel like I have to plan a whole day around it like a weekend). Basically here are all the weekend home series - might bother to look up promos later.

April 7-8 Braves 1:10 PM each day
April 21-22 Giants 1:10 PM each day
May 5-6 Diamondbacks 4:05 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun
May 26-27 Padres 1:10 PM each day
June 2-3 Cardinals 4:05 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun
June 16-17 Reds 7:15 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun
June 23-24 Yankees - eh forget that one lol
July 7-8 Cubs 4:05 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun
July 21-22 Dodgers 1:10 PM each day
August 11-12 Braves 7:10 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun
August 25-26 Astros 1:10 PM each day
September 8-9 Braves 4:05 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun
September 22-23 Marlina 1:10 PM each day
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#46 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,554 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:00 AM

Yeah same thing, just turned 20 beginning of March.

I think a meet up would be pretty cool, I probably wouldn't be able to make it though. Work like a slave in the summer. When I'm not working I'm a volunteer football coach at my old high school. Tough to make plans, normally I don't know if I can get to a game until the day before.

Oh man, 20 is a distant speck in the ol' rearview for me. I was 20 back in 1990. Ouch.

Well I'd say definitely a weekend if we're tailgating then lol, since when I go on Friday nights it's usually after work and via the train so I really have to hoof it just to get there for first pitch (and yet I like going Fridays cause I don't feel like I have to plan a whole day around it like a weekend). Basically here are all the weekend home series - might bother to look up promos later.

April 7-8 Braves 1:10 PM each day
April 21-22 Giants 1:10 PM each day
May 5-6 Diamondbacks 4:05 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun
May 26-27 Padres 1:10 PM each day
June 2-3 Cardinals 4:05 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun
June 16-17 Reds 7:15 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun
June 23-24 Yankees - eh forget that one lol
July 7-8 Cubs 4:05 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun
July 21-22 Dodgers 1:10 PM each day
August 11-12 Braves 7:10 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun
August 25-26 Astros 1:10 PM each day
September 8-9 Braves 4:05 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun
September 22-23 Marlina 1:10 PM each day

Maybe May 5 or June 2? Love those 4:05 start times...extra tailgating!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 29 March 2012 - 06:01 AM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#47 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,501 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

Wouldn't mind either...but I'd rather not plan anything for early May yet, just in case since that would be late second round of the NHL playoffs and there's a game I have to go to lol.

June we'd probably be safe lol...but depending on how many people would go, we can always wait a while to finalize plans either way, but it should be a game 'at least' you, me and lol can all make.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 29 March 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#48 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,554 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

I think I could pull off June 2 pretty easily.

Lotsa notice here if others want to get in...

#30 FOREVER!

#49 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

June 2nd doesn't work for me since I'm going June 3rd; don't really want to make 2 trips to New York in 2 weekend days.

Basically, these are the series I can't make it because of prior ticket obligations:

April vs SF
May vs SD
June vs STL
June vs CIN
July vs LAD
August vs MIA (weekday)
September vs MIA*

* - I have to check my tickets later because I'm not sure if that's right. It might be against Pittsburgh or something. I know it's in the final couple of weeks.

Edited by nmigliore, 29 March 2012 - 12:11 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#50 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,554 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

Maybe June 3 then?

#30 FOREVER!

#51 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

Maybe June 3 then?

See my post above.

I checked my tickets and that last one (vs Marlins in September), which I was unsure about, is right. July or August is probably the best time.

Edited by nmigliore, 29 March 2012 - 04:55 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#52 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,554 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

See my post above.

I checked my tickets and that last one (vs Marlins in September), which I was unsure about, is right. July or August is probably the best time.

Oh I know, I meant if you wanted to meet up for pre-game tailgating that day...I know everyone has a lot on their plates, and it might be hard to coordinate getting everyone together. Just layin' out all of the options.

Maybe one of the August games for me...just have to figure out which weekend we'll be celebrating my daughter's 4th b-day (yikes!)...her birthday is August 15.

#30 FOREVER!

#53 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,501 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:32 AM

Whatever you two decide I'll be there for, and then everyone else can decide to come or not after that.

#54 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,554 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

Whatever you two decide I'll be there for, and then everyone else can decide to come or not after that.

I'm thinking May 5 if there's no Devils playoff game, or August 25.

We could always hit a bar someplace after the Mets and watch the Devils too on the 5th if they're still on. A true beat-your-chest and be a man kind of day :cheers:

#30 FOREVER!

#55 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

Mets extended Jon Niese for 5 years, $25M. The deal also includes two club options that could push the total value of the deal to $46M (so basically $10.5M for each club option).

This deal buys out his last pre-arbitration year (this year), all 3 of his arbitration-eligible years (2013, 2014, 2015), one free agent year (2016), and potentially two more free agent years with those club options (2017, 2018).

I did a lot of dirty work, factoring in arbitration estimates and adjusting for salary inflation, and basically, Niese would have to be a 1.5 WAR pitcher just to be worth the MAX of this deal. If you don't speak in saber terms, that's basically a below average starter. That bar is incredibly low and he's only guaranteed about HALF of that. The cost savings potential here is fantastic; great job by Sandy.

Edited by nmigliore, 04 April 2012 - 03:27 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#56 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,554 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

Mets extended Jon Niese for 5 years, $25M. The deal also includes two club options that could push the total value of the deal to $46M (so basically $10.5M for each club option).

This deal buys out his last pre-arbitration year (this year), all 3 of his arbitration-eligible years (2013, 2014, 2015), one free agent year (2016), and potentially two more free agent years with those club options (2017, 2018).

I did a lot of dirty work, factoring in arbitration estimates and adjusting for salary inflation, and basically, Niese would have to be a 1.5 WAR pitcher just to be worth the MAX of this deal. If you don't speak in saber terms, that's basically a below average starter. That bar is incredibly low and he's only guaranteed about HALF of that. The cost savings potential here is fantastic; great job by Sandy.

Interesting and creative...it's only a bad deal if Niese crashes and burns, really. Nice chunk of change for Niese...feels like a good deal for all sides.

#30 FOREVER!

#57 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Interesting and creative...it's only a bad deal if Niese crashes and burns, really. Nice chunk of change for Niese...feels like a good deal for all sides.

Pretty much; he'd have to get hurt or see a significant drop-off in performance. Getting hurt is not out of the question of course; pitchers get hurt all the time and Niese has had some durability issues. If he can stay healthy and be just reasonably productive throughout this deal though, there's a very good chance he'll produce surplus value.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#58 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,554 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Pretty much; he'd have to get hurt or see a significant drop-off in performance. Getting hurt is not out of the question of course; pitchers get hurt all the time and Niese has had some durability issues. If he can stay healthy and be just reasonably productive throughout this deal though, there's a very good chance he'll produce surplus value.

Getting hurt can happen to anyone anytime...we've seen that with Santana.

2-3 games over .500 per season, with maybe one year of 5 over or better, and the Mets made out on this one.

#30 FOREVER!

#59 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,501 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

I'm glad Niese actually wanted to stay here through the hard times, cause that is a bit of a below-market deal :lol: But hey, it's guaranteed money in the bank for him, I'm sure that appealed to him the way it did Reyes when he signed his below-market deal after 2006.

#60 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

Not as big of a Niese fan as many are, but it seems like a good deal.

Sure as hell beats the hell out of 3 yr 36M for Perez

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users