Olympic Disgrace

I think you start to hint at the real difference; I believe it's because we are a 1st world nation that has 24/7 media access and we get to watch from the bleachers as 3rd world nations develop and we don't always like what we see. Islam, from the text, is not inherently more violent then Judaism or Christianity or whatever. I think it has more to do with the fact that it's denizens live in poor conditions in a very repressed part of the world. When conditions surrounding people are improved you get very moderate nations (like Indonesia). Blaming, or associating Islam for terrorism is a lot like blaming guns for murders.

I think you start to hint at the real difference; I believe it's because we are a 1st world nation that has 24/7 media access and we get to watch from the bleachers as 3rd world nations develop and we don't always like what we see. Islam, from the text, is not inherently more violent then Judaism or Christianity or whatever. I think it has more to do with the fact that it's denizens live in poor conditions in a very repressed part of the world. When conditions surrounding people are improved you get very moderate nations (like Indonesia). Blaming, or associating Islam for terrorism is a lot like blaming guns for murders.

Yeah, but you have to also take into account why some countries/cultures are richer than others. China and Korea were both subjugated by foreigners until very recently. South Korea is very rich and prosperous. China's got it's political issues, but it's, on whole and relatively speaking, a prosperous and peaceful country. And with the case of South Korea, it has no natural resources to speak of. Jews, basically everywhere they go they prosper even in the face of open discrimination.

And remember, Mohammed Atta was a college educated, middle-class Egyptian.

And remember, Mohammed Atta was a college educated, middle-class Egyptian.

Which is proof that this is a complex issue, and spouting off generalizations about an entire religion is wrong and dangerous.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.