149 replies to this topic

#21 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

All valid points, i wasn't necessarily talking about Rolstons terrible contract just the general overestimating former players who wind up coming back to do nothing but skate around a few minutes a game and occasionally hit the back of the net. This is essentially the same team as last year save for a few people. This team is going to be thirsty this year after what happened, and imo i just don't think Gomez has that drive in him anymore. I could be wrong but i don't know if it will happen.

I really think part of his problem was playing in Montreal and NY. Its not like playing here where you only have to deal with TG and that idiot Chere. The pressure from his stupid contract was/is probably enormous. I think if he can come here (or anywhere similar) and not have to worry about living up to expectations he can find his game. Its such a minimal risk and considering his history here, is a worthwhile thing to look at. It's also 5 years ago that he left and he's 5 years older. I'd like to think he has learned some humility by now.

I think a more apt comparison would be Sykora last year. He was out of the league for a year and came back and contributed.

#22 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

2010-11: 7 goals(31 A[decent]) in 80 GP <------ these numbers would not be bad on our team
2011-12: 2 goals(9 A) in 38 GP <---------- these numbers are better than jj's were last year

as was said before with a contract like sykora had last year it is worth a shot

not by enough (2 assists more in 3 less games) for me to look twice, if he comes back whatever hes a devil ill welcome him with open arms, if not theres not sweat off my back

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#23 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Please don't re-sign him, he's done. We don't take out-of-shape players with extremely low numbers onto our team by usual standards. Why make an exception for him? Why help him out? That's all this would be, a pity move for someone that definitely didn't think twice about telling this team to go F ourselves.

#24 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

All valid points, i wasn't necessarily talking about Rolstons terrible contract just the general overestimating former players who wind up coming back to do nothing but skate around a few minutes a game and occasionally hit the back of the net. This is essentially the same team as last year save for a few people. This team is going to be thirsty this year after what happened, and imo i just don't think Gomez has that drive in him anymore. I could be wrong but i don't know if it will happen.

Well to counter your point about ex-Devils, look no further than Sykora last year. He was an ex-Devils who came in for cheap and did more than what we expected. Gomez could be this year's Sykora, if he wants to come here for cheap.

#25 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Please don't re-sign him, he's done. We don't take out-of-shape players with extremely low numbers onto our team by usual standards. Why make an exception for him? Why help him out? That's all this would be, a pity move for someone that definitely didn't think twice about telling this team to go F ourselves.

Why do you say that he's done? He's only 33, that's not THAT old. Unless you're referencing some report I haven't seen, we don't know anything about what shape Gomez is in, and his numbers are not that low. They were only low relative to his massive contract, which we wouldn't have to pay. Picking up a declining ex-Devil is not "making an exception", in fact it's pretty much the exact opposite. This is what the Devils have been doing for years. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. But for a small contract with low expectations it's hard to find a lot of downsides to signing Gomez for one year.

And this has nothing to do with "helping him out". The Devils are the ones that need help with their forward depth.

#26 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,266 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

As many others have said, there is really no risk to signing him to a cheap 1 year deal. Given the forward situation, I'd be completely down with a reunion.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#27 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

if no good forwards are available via trade, and we don't even bother with Sykora, offer the absolute minimum and have zero expectations for Gomez. Make him prove himself and earn playing time. I would make him the absolute last, worst case option.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#28 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Gomez was never offered a contract because the Devils knew he wasn't worth that absurd amount. He knew he was going to get a ridiculous contract and it was his dream since he was kid to be a Ranger and play in that building. It didn't work out the way he dreamed but he didn't do anything to the Devils. anybody who hates this guy for signing for what he got from the Rangers is delusional.

Edited by capo, 15 January 2013 - 08:01 PM.

#29 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

1 year / 750K / 2-way contract...

#30 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

If Gomer can help, fine...

League minimum and he better kiss the ass of the fans and organization at a press conference

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#31 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

If Gomer can help, fine...

League minimum and he better kiss the ass of the fans and organization at a press conference

No way Lou would ever give him a press conference.

#32 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

No way Lou would ever give him a press conference.

I am not saying a formal press conference, I guess I meant in his first interview with whoever...

Whether it is Matt or Dano etc...

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#33 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

I think people here are mistakenly assuming that the Devils would be the only team interested in Gomez.

I don't think league minimum will get him. I think there's some stupid GM out there who will offer 1/2m or 2/4m.

And I'd be unwilling to go any higher than 1m per

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#34 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

I think people here are mistakenly assuming that the Devils would be the only team interested in Gomez.

I don't think league minimum will get him. I think there's some stupid GM out there who will offer 1/2m or 2/4m.

And I'd be unwilling to go any higher than 1m per

I think a lot of people are under the assumption that this is where he wants to be.

#35 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

If he wants to come here for 1m or less then give him a shot.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#36 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Not sure if this was posted (and forgive me if it was)

http://ca.sports.yah...-160146611.html

This is old but it states:

"According to Brisebois, Gomez also said that he would like to go back to New Jersey, where everything started for him and where he won a Stanley Cup in 2003. Gomez played the best hockey of his career as a New Jersey Devils. In 2005-05, he scored 33 goals and got 84 points. In 38 games this season with the Montreal Canadiens, he only scored two goals."

n2eg.jpg

#37 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Reno lavoie just said on rds that Nj was reviewing the possibility to sign gomez... He's always spot on usually

www.SterioDesign.com

#38 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

If Gomez can still carry the puck into the zone like he used to then I'm all in for a second go round.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#39 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,837 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

If Gomez can still carry the puck into the zone like he used to then I'm all in for a second go round.

If he can bring anything remotely like this, even a few steps slower, he will be worth a small contract. It's worth the risk, especially in a shortened season.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#40 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Reno lavoie just said on rds that Nj was reviewing the possibility to sign gomez... He's always spot on usually

Good. IF we sign him Darche and with a healthy Henrique we dont look too shabby.

Henrique Zajac Kovalchuk
Butler Elias Zubrus
Darche Gomez/Josefson Clarkson
CBGB

believe-zubrus.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users