Second Annual Devils / St. Patrick's Day Newark Bar Crawl

DaneykoIsGod

St. Patty's Day was my first trip over to Scully's and man was I disappointed. Two bartenders, wait let me rephrase, two airhead bartenders on St. Patty's Day before a sold out Devils game???? WTF? We waited 20 minutes and watched exactly 2 people get drinks on our side of the bar and decided to leave. Absolutely pathetic. I'm sticking with Hell's Kitchen from now on.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm officially retired from these Bar Crawls. My buddy (who posts here from time to time under the handle ILikeItVeryMuch) took the reins for the Opening Day crawl this year. I don't know if he plans on organizing St. Patty's Day too. If he is, I'll point ya'll in his direction. If not, best of luck to whoever does take it over. I'll help in whatever way I can.

Well I'd like to do it again and I'll try and organize it. Just point me in the direction of what to do like if you let the bars we went to know we were coming or what meeting space did you tell everyone to meet at. I'd be more than happy to take this on!

Well I'd like to do it again and I'll try and organize it. Just point me in the direction of what to do like if you let the bars we went to know we were coming or what meeting space did you tell everyone to meet at. I'd be more than happy to take this on!

The buddy who headed up the Opening Day crawl is a teacher now, so I don't think he'll be organizing a boozefest on a school day this year. :lol:

Here's the bars we did last time, in order:

1. Kilkenny Ale House

2. Nick's In Newark

3. McGovern's Tavern

4. 60 Park Grill

5. The Spot Lounge

6. Scully's Publick House

7. Brick City Bar & Grill

Keep it the same, add something, drop something, do whatever you like. Just one suggestion, Port 44 has opened since the last time we did this crawl. That's a cool place that might be worth adding to the list. It's right across the street from The Spot, so it'd be an easy add that isn't out of the way at all.

If you Google these places you can usually find their phone numbers. It might be a good idea to call and see how early these places will be open on the 18th. Since it'll just be another Friday rather than St. Patty's Day itself like the last two years, some places might not be open until the evening. But if they're open, they were always happy to see a big group roll in ready to put a few back (especially 60 Park ... that place has been dead the two times we went there). Kilkenny, Nick's and The Spot hooked us up with some free shots. Usually the crawls are a mess toward the end and I don't know if we've ever actually made it to BCB&G in the two years we did it.

I think we used Newark Penn as our meeting place both years too. It's optimal for any train-takers and isn't too far away from any parking lots for any drivers. Maybe even list the shady little dive bar in the station as your first bar on the crawl. Or maybe that bar in the Gateway. I don't know its name, but that could be a pretty sweet meet-up spot.

Something to keep in mind is what time you're starting and how much time that leaves for each bar. It isn't much fun if it's too rushed (like 20 minutes per bar, plus walking time to the next place), and if you spend too much time at one spot you're defeating the purpose of the crawl. I think we usually did about one hour per stop, including walking time. When it's almost time to go to the next stop, give everyone a heads up so they have time to finish their drinks.

That's pretty much everything I can think of off the top of my head. Best of luck to ya! And if there's any other info I can pass along to help you out, I'd be more than happy to oblige.

LOL yea Mr. Teach won't be able to.

Yea we never made it to BCB&G. I believe last year we started at like 1:30pm almost certain. I would like to add Port 44 to crawl. Penn Station is definately a good meet up spot; I know the bar in Gateway youre talking about that seems like a good spot or that spot between the pizza place and Blue Comet.

Thanks for the info bro I appreciate it

Edited by ChilltownDevs2673

• 3 weeks later...

Ok everyone its getting close to the date. Id like to know who would like to do this so please answer here or PM me and let me know.

60 Park Grill seems to have closed temporarily while they transfer their liquor liscense to a new owner. I dont know if itll be open by the time of the 18th.

Port 44 will be added to the list and I think the order from last year will be fine. Let me know if anyone has any other ideas.

LGD!!!