Devils Sign McGillis, Malakhov, Rafalski

HellOnICE

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doggie your feistier than ever today... its not your Scotty that betrayed you... Mr Stevens will show up..youll see.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh I know he'll have to eventually but I dont think I'll want to hear what he'll have to say...yar.gif

Theres no sense in crying over Nieds leaving.

Time to move on.

People also seem to forget that Nieds didnt really become the kind of player we expected him to until 99-2000.

Does Nieds leaving hurt this teams chance to win a Stanley Cup?

Hell Yes.

But we are still a playoff team.

Nieds was a guy who I loved to watch but he wasnt invincible.

I highly doubt that Lou is done, Id expect to see some movement on the trade front.

And who knows with the number of UFA's out there, Lou could get himself a winger for real cheap in a week or so.

If Malakhov got 3.6 mil a year, than people have a right to question Lou.

You dont pay a 36 yr old d-man whos not exactly a defense first guy that kind of money.

McGillis if its 1.1 million is very solid, hes not flashy but hes very solid and dependable. Also has a tendency to deliver the big hit.

McGillis if its 1.1 million is very solid, hes not flashy but hes very solid and dependable.  Also has a tendency to deliver the big hit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm actually very happy with the McGillis signing. I've always liked him -- he's not going to be the greatest guy out there, but he'll get the job done. Getting him at 1.1 is nice too.

Ah, another impossibly long thread that I refuse to sort through.

On Vladimir Malakhov - he's an excellent 3 when he wants to be. Jaromir Jagr used to call him one of the toughest guys to play against. Then again, he called Eric Cairns the toughest. I was a huge proponent of acquiring Malakhov as early as late 99, but I thought his time in New Jersey was somewhat of a disappointment. How good is he now? Who knows. That 3.6 million figure is reported on NHLPA.com, so I'm hoping some ink got smudged somewhere. Vlad is not worth that kind of money.

On Dan McGillis - Devils fans may remember Dan McGillis as the pilon Patrik Elias beat in 2000 to score the game winning goal in Game 7. I never liked his game - he's good on offense, decent on defense, but tends to make too many errors on both ends. His decision-making is subpar, IMO. He'll fit right in with Malakhov then. He's a decent 4.

On Brian Rafalski - The loyal soldier. If I were Rafalski, I couldn't help but feel some animosity towards the Devils - they were ready to say goodbye. I like Rafalski but he struggled last season. In previous seasons he seemed to be capable of being a very noticable 2 - solid on defense, quick on offense. If he's recovered from that knee injury, he will once again have some of the quickest acceleration in the NHL.

On the defense as a whole - Martin, Hale (?), Rafalski, McGillis, Malakhov, White, Brown, Matvichuk - an unremarkable unit. The Devils may combine Matvichuk and White as a shutdown pairing, a la Hatcher and Matvichuk. IIRC White and Rafalski play the same side of the ice, so that pairing would not be too good. The Devils have a lot of depth here, but they will really be relying on John Madden and Jay Pandolfo to help shut down top lines - without Stevens and Niedermayer, this unit does not scare opposing forwards like it once did.

I can't get enough of translating RDS.ca!

Rafalski, Malakhov and McGillis with Devils

Thursday August 04, 2005 - With the departure of the veteran defender Scott Niedermayer left towards Anaheim, the general manager of Devils Lou Lamoriello did not waste time in order to bring back reinforcement to the blue line while getting along with the autonomous players Brian Rafalski, Vladimir Malakhov and daN McGillis.

31 years old, Rafalski played the five years of its career with Devils. It cumulates a card of 30 goals and 207 points in 377 parts. It got along for a two year old contract which will allow him empocher 8.2 millionß.

On its side Malakhov, 36 years, will be back for one second time to the New Jersey after having played with Rangers and Flyers. The Canadian had exchanged Malakhov in Devils in 2000 in return of Sheldon Souray, Josh Dewolf and a choice of fishing out.

With the numbers defensemen have signed for...I'd be shocked if Malakhov actually got 3.6, while McGillis got 1.1. Seems to me the market for veteran avg / solid but not close to star NHL D-men has been set in the 2.5-3.0 range. I'd expect both to fall in that range.

I would expect both to have signed 2-year deals.

I can't get enough of translating RDS.ca!

Rafalski, Malakhov and McGillis with Devils

Thursday August 04, 2005 - With the departure of the veteran defender Scott Niedermayer left towards Anaheim, the general manager of Devils Lou Lamoriello did not waste time in order to bring back reinforcement to the blue line while getting along with the autonomous players Brian Rafalski, Vladimir Malakhov and daN McGillis.

Getting along with autonomous players (or failing to do so) is what got us into trouble with Niedermayer, n'est-ce pas? :evil:

On its side Malakhov, 36 years, will be back for one second time to the New Jersey after having played with Rangers and Flyers. The Canadian had exchanged Malakhov in Devils in 2000 in return of Sheldon Souray, Josh Dewolf and a choice of fishing out.

Fishing out's better than fishing in. You get a better selection that way. I'll have the baked scrod with fettucine, please. :D

wow i come back from working 1-6 and i find mcgillis, malakhov, and rafalski signed all on the devs and a 13 page thread :lol:

Well...this seems pretty solid for the devs.

hale, matvichuk, martin, mcgillis, malakhov, rafalski, white

thats nothing spectacular, but all around thats some REALLY nice depth. It should be a top unit again if you guys play the way they normall do.

I think you guys will like mcgillis he wasn't as great last year as i wished he would be but overall i like him a lot, ever since he was a flyer. He is a typical devil, hard worker, nice hitter, solid defensively...so on. he scored 3 goals against you guys the other year in the playoffs with the bruins