18 Year Old Stuck and Killed by Car After Leaving Devils Game

thelastonealive

Oh boy..that's really sad.

That being said, my Dad and I have almost been hit by a car a couple times walking back to Penn Station.  Really have to pay attention

Edit: This was apparently 5 or 6 blocks away from the Rock..why would you ever park that far away from the arena?  Is it a common thing to park that far away?

Edited by Devilsfan118

My condolences to the family.

I have to say that yesterday I had issues crossing streets along Mulberry.  It seems people just do not want to stop for pedestrians and I have been noticing it getting worse and worse in the past year.  I hope the Newark PD steps up and really go after these kind of drivers before and after games.

That being said, my Dad and I have almost been hit by a car a couple times walking back to Penn Station. Really have to pay attention

Edit: This was apparently 5 or 6 blocks away from the Rock..why would you ever park that far away from the arena? Is it a common thing to park that far away?

It's free parking and pretty damn close.. I've been parking on the street for 5 years by Hobby's and only recently had my car broken into.. Still saved more by not paying for parking when you factor how much I would have spent over the years

Terrible tragedy.. Just serves as a reminder to always be careful, especially by McCarter.. You never even know if someone is just going to blow through red lights down there

This is tragic.     

I'll reserve judgement on fault as I've seen people guilty on both sides near the arena....  blowing through the lights by drivers....  and pedestrians ignoring the lights and just walking expecting people to stop because they are leaving the Devils game.

But still, such a tragic event :(

It's free parking and pretty damn close.. I've been parking on the street for 5 years by Hobby's and only recently had my car broken into.. Still saved more by not paying for parking when you factor how much I would have spent over the years

Terrible tragedy.. Just serves as a reminder to always be careful, especially by McCarter.. You never even know if someone is just going to blow through red lights down there

I've parked even further than that on free streets and taken the light rail into the game. $2 worth of light rail tix<$20 to park. Right after the game is definitely a bad time to be crossing 21 or Broad anywhere but at a well lit intersection with a crosswalk. That being said, I don't recall any other similar incidents in the time since they opened the arena. There was the father & son who got beat up near the Pru a few months ago for their cell phones and cash and right around the arena opening there was the guy who got stabbed at Broad & Market in broad daylight. I have to say that the Newark PD has done a good job at securing the area around the arena.

I start substitute teaching in the victim's school next week, my condolances to the family and friends.

Also, is it just me and my close friends or are the Newark Police doing an atrocious job with vehicle control pre & post games? [i.e Forgetting to block streets, allowing gridlock ESPECIALLY on Mulbury during the pregame rush. It's been a disaster this year.]

I start substitute teaching in the victim's school next week, my condolances to the family and friends.

Also, is it just me and my close friends or are the Newark Police doing an atrocious job with vehicle control pre & post games? [i.e Forgetting to block streets, allowing gridlock ESPECIALLY on Mulbury during the pregame rush. It's been a disaster this year.]

They're not forgetting to block streets. Remember how Booker said they would decrease the NPD presence around the arena this year by not blocking off all the streets they used to? I'm pretty sure he even said they'd stop closing mulberry, but that never happened and I don't think anyone expected it to. He said it had absolutely nothing to do with him getting his panties in a bunch about the arbitration with Jeff VBK.

That being said, my Dad and I have almost been hit by a car a couple times walking back to Penn Station. Really have to pay attention

Edit: This was apparently 5 or 6 blocks away from the Rock..why would you ever park that far away from the arena? Is it a common thing to park that far away?

Yeah, I usually park near Lafayette street school in the ironbound, it's free parking and it helps that I used to live in the ironbound so I know which streets are good/bad... Sad story

Edited by RangersSuck23

RIP

Very sad, thoughts go out to the family and friends.

Like anyone else on this forum, I've definitely seen some close calls while walking from the train station to arena and vice versa. It was easier the first few years of the arena but when they cut back on the police directing traffic things got a lot dicier.

There are a ton of ghetto reckless drivers zipping around those streets completely ignoring red light...add to that plenty of pedestrians attempt to run across crosswalks when they shouldn't (I'm not saying this kid did, but many do) and you have a potentiall dangerous situation.

They should generally close all streets around the arena before and after the games. Just too much pedestrian traffic.

They should generally close all streets around the arena before and after the games. Just too much pedestrian traffic.

Except this happened a good 6-7 blocks away from the arena site. Police aren't gonna do pedestrian traffic on Route 21 and Kinney. Free parking or not there's no reason to be south of the courthouses.

RIP to the victim. Condolences to friends and family.

As far as walking to/from Penn Station, use the Gateway instead(unless there are problems crossing Market Street too?).

Edited by Marv4Life

Except this happened a good 6-7 blocks away from the arena site. Police aren't gonna do pedestrian traffic on Route 21 and Kinney. Free parking or not there's no reason to be south of the courthouses.

RIP to the victim. Condolences to friends and family.

As far as walking to/from Penn Station, use the Gateway instead(unless there are problems crossing Market Street too?).

If you are walking from Penn or from Either of the two light rail stops before that, there's crosswalks, lights and all that on pretty much every block you cross. The harder streets to cross are going to be the smaller side streets where you might not see a car until you stick your head out between the cars on the side of the road and the guy in the said car won't see you until then either.