We now have the 30th pick

Marshall

Yeah, I remembered this, but I didn't know what he could have.

I don't really think it did.  Who moved for a first round pick?  Whatever, it's a 1st round pick.  Nice to have.

I think with that pick, we could have made a decent run at Vanek.   I'm not sure of the value of the kid they got, as opposed to one of our defensemen, but we really had no chips yesterday.   That we did anything without giving up much of value was a miracle

Speaking of which, I didn't realize just how poorly they have drafted until I looked at their draft history:

251 total picks since 1988

143 picks have never played in an NHL game (57%)

193 picks have played 0-100 total NHL games (77%)

222 picks have played 0-400 total NHL games (88%)

Since 1996, these are the only players with 400+ NHL games played (essentially 5 seasons):

Zajac (2004)

Parise (2003)

P. Martin (2000)

Rupp (2000)

Commodore (1999)

Gomez (1998)

B. Gionta (1998)

C. White (1996)

W. Mitchell (1996)

This has nothing to do with Kovalchuk going to the KHL.  Nothing at all.  Remember, the penalty is for the first contract.

If this league actually made rulings and enforced punishment based upon some semblance of objective thought, I'd be able to see your point. However, I would really like to hear what you think this is based on since you seem to feel that there is enough evidence regarding an actual body of reasoning for this change to negate our tin-foil hat theories. I honestly think this has everything to do with the league feeling bad for punishing us for a player who isn't still here. I don't see any other real reason for the league to do this because according to the strictures of the ruling, they don't have to do anything but enforce the punishment as meted out.

If this league actually made rulings and enforced punishment based upon some semblance of objective thought, I'd be able to see your point. However, I would really like to hear what you think this is based on since you seem to feel that there is enough evidence regarding an actual body of reasoning for this change to negate our tin-foil hat theories. I honestly think this has everything to do with the league feeling bad for punishing us for a player who isn't still here. I don't see any other real reason for the league to do this because according to the strictures of the ruling, they don't have to do anything but enforce the punishment as meted out.

IMO, the league feels it's now punishing Harris, an owner they want to have a good relationship with, for the actions of the old owner. So forgiving part of the penalty is being done to foster a good relationship with a billionaire who wasn't part of the wrong doing.

If Vanderbeek still owned the team then the penalty would not have been changed.

The penalty was for the first contract.  The Devils would have been punished regardless of whether Kovalchuk signed a 2nd contract or not.  The Devils are already subject to cap recapture on Kovalchuk's 2nd contract.

max:  The Devils could've gotten Vanek anyway.  They didn't have the cap room after the Ruutu deal.

The penalty was for the first contract.  The Devils would have been punished regardless of whether Kovalchuk signed a 2nd contract or not.  The Devils are already subject to cap recapture on Kovalchuk's 2nd contract.

max:  The Devils could've gotten Vanek anyway.  They didn't have the cap room after the Ruutu deal.

That still doesn't explain why the league is lessening the punishment.

LOL! Snow couldn't get a 1st for Vanek and we got a 1st for nothing. 

Seriously though, great news for the Devils.

I agree with you in principle on the top part, but the second contract wasn't registered until the labor negotiation was completed.  It was a bit sketchy.

Great news. It's already been debated but I would not at all be surprised if lou knew about this. At the very least he had a hunch because nothing else would justify us taking Matteau.

So just to be clear: we have the 30th pick this year, not pending anything. So no matter how bad we do, we still get the 30th right

Edited by Onddeck

What 731 said - Harris is now the owner. It was under Vanderbeek that the old contract was signed.

That may mean something with the fine but means nothing vis-a-vis the pick. College programs get punished all the time for what previous administrations did.

I do think Kovy leaving and the cap recapture penalty brought to light the silliness of punishing us twice without getting the player for anywhere close to full term.