If Zach Parise doesn't score next game....

Neb00rs

Yeah I agree, I should not of used the word game changer. I guess I am saying is that his skill set is not worth the contract he will get. Of course the man plays all out every night but I do not think it is worth it. Just my 2 cents.

I am definitely not saying I want him gone but the contract has to be reasonable.

Maybe, but we'll see. A few people have mentioned a similarity to the Elias situation. Elias could have gone for bigger money elsewhere, but NJ offered enough that he decided to stay, even if it was a bit less. I am hoping Lou can get this to work out with Parise the same way. It's possible Zach will jet for more money, but I'm going to at least remain optimistic that he will take a bit less and stay. At least he can't say that the he doesn't feel like he has the chance to compete for the Cup in NJ.

I am not buying one iota of that. What about the other veterans, especially those that have Stanley Cup rings? btw Kovy got a really large contract and never won anything. If Kovy is injured then get his sorry ass off the ice. Elias and being 36 mean diddly. Stevens was 36 in 2000 when we won the cup in 2000 and 39 in 2003. Daneyko was 36 in 2000 and 39 in 2003. Joe Nieuwendyk was 37. Not buying the age thing. Sorry.

Stevens and Elias are different players. Age wouldn't effect Stevens's game as much. Bringing up Daneyko and Nieuy are silly as they aren't Parise status and were not relied on as heavily. But that's irrelevant - because like I have said a few times now - I don't want to "get rid" of anyone." I am saying we shouldn't re-sign Zach Parise (IF HE DOESN"T SHOW UP IN GAME 4) to a big contract. Everyone else is signed. And that's a completely legit POV.

So Zach should start taking runs at people in open ice? Zach has played his game about as well as he can. So far as I've seen, he hasn't made any egregious errors out on the ice or shown any signs at all that he's giving anything less than 100% effort. I understand that you want him to magically just force the team to win, but I don't see how you can fault him at all for the team being down 3-0 right now.

Nope didn't say any of this.

Edited by ben00rs

Ya'll have to understand....the premise of this thread is: I want Zach to show up big next game, because I support him and want to be able to argue for him to stay. As of right now I cannot reasonably do that.

This thread is ridiculous because Kovalchuk played like hot garbage tonight not Zach.

Again - I think everyone else is more emotional here because they aren't reading what I am saying. I don't deny Kovy played like garbage. Kovy is not an FA next year. Nor did I say it was all on Zach. He is the Captain though and he does need to prove to us he's worth the $ right now. And he isn't.

Edited by ben00rs

Nope didn't say any of this.

You didn't, but what you say has implications. Be more specific if you don't want people to call you out on vague criticisms. Zach Parise isn't Scott Stevens, so why bring up Stevens when analyzing Parise's playoffs?

If you don't think Zach has done enough for the team to get them this far, then I flat out disagree. He has shown more than enough for me to realize that I want him to re-sign. It just comes down to whether we can fit him in cash-wise.

You didn't, but what you say has implications. Be more specific if you don't want people to call you out on vague criticisms. Zach Parise isn't Scott Stevens, so why bring up Stevens when analyzing Parise's playoffs?

I respectfully think you inferred poorly. What should I be more specific about - you chose to assume those things.

Vague criticisms? What I've said is:

I like Zach parise.

Zach Parise is a FA this summer.

Zach Parise is going to get a big contract.

Zach Parise hasn't yet proven he is worth that big deal.

Zach Parise hasn't risen to the occasion on the scoresheet.

Zach Parise hasn't risen to the occasion in general.

Zach Parise can still prove in game 4 he is worth that big deal.

If he does not, let him walk because he is a FA.

zach has played his heart out every single game i have witnessed. that guy is the poster image of what playing with passion looks like. nobody can deny that

its really only this one series (these last 3 games) where he hasn't been producing. i know its THE cup, and it'd obviously be desired that he start to produce.. but when nobody at all has been able to really get going, its a little unfair to insist that we let one of the biggest free agents just walk away

cmon zach, we need you buddy. now and in the long term

:cheers: :cheers:

zach has played his heart out every single game i have witnessed. that guy is the poster image of what playing with passion looks like. nobody can deny that

its really only this one series (these last 3 games) where he hasn't been producing. i know its THE cup, and it'd obviously be desired that he start to produce.. but when nobody at all has been able to really get going, its a little unfair to insist that we let one of the biggest free agents just walk away

cmon zach, we need you buddy. now and in the long term

:cheers: :cheers:

Kovy hasn't been playing well, but anyone who thinks he isn't injured should start paying closer attention. He would be absolutely lethal at 100% health. It's amazing that he was able to be so effective in the previous series due to his vision and shot alone. It's just that now that the games are so much tighter, he can't rely on that as much. I'd like for him to either take a game off, or else just take very limited minutes with time on the PP.

As for Zach, I think we're all being a bit emotional here. He has been playing hard. Unless he's looking to be the top paid player in the league, I think the Devils should do anything they can to keep him. I will be scared for the Devils offense in the future if Parise is no longer here.

Parise is not a true game changer.

I'm coming to the conclusion that Zach really stands out in the regular season because he plays every game like it is a playoff. Yet when the actual playoffs arrive & other guys now raise their level, Zach doesn't stand out so much.

Its not that he plays any worse, but others rise to his level. I still hope the Devs can re-sign him, at least for the next 3 years. He wants to win so bad. In my mind, he gets one more playoff season to show he is that game-changer

I'm coming to the conclusion that Zach really stands out in the regular season because he plays every game like it is a playoff. Yet when the actual playoffs arrive & other guys now raise their level, Zach doesn't stand out so much.

Its not that he plays any worse, but others rise to his level. I still hope the Devs can re-sign him, at least for the next 3 years. He wants to win so bad. In my mind, he gets one more playoff season to show he is that game-changer

I've been saying something similar for years. Others rise to his level and he just doesn't have the skill - outside of a five-on-five box in front of the net - to score. And that five-on-five area gets defended much better in the playoffs. The only time Zach ever had a big postseason was when he wasn't the go-to-guy.

That said, he's more important to this team than he would be somewhere else. He's the captain sure that can be overrated in some places, but he's the captain of a team that is hard-working, finally overachieved in the postseason, and finally bought in to what a coach was selling. God knows you gotta give him some credit for that.

Stevens and Elias are different players. Age wouldn't effect Stevens's game as much. Bringing up Daneyko and Nieuy are silly as they aren't Parise status and were not relied on as heavily. But that's irrelevant - because like I have said a few times now - I don't want to "get rid" of anyone." I am saying we shouldn't re-sign Zach Parise (IF HE DOESN"T SHOW UP IN GAME 4) to a big contract. Everyone else is signed. And that's a completely legit POV.

The problem with your overall mentality re: this situation is that you're basically boiling everything down to his performance in one game, or at least you're coming off that way. So if Zach has a monster Game 4 and, say, scores a couple of goals, suddenly that makes him worth the big coin? Even if the Devils lose that game 5-2? And I think he HAS shown up in Games 1-3...it doesn't look to me like the Devils as a whole aren't showing up.

I have my own reasons for why the Devils probably shouldn't re-sign Zach, that won't hinge on his Game 4 performance:

1) Someone will likely overpay for him. I know the Devils have some serious money coming off the cap, starting with Brodeur, but the idea of two huge, long-term deals does make me a little nervous...I've never been a big fan of getting "top-heavy", even though Kovy's yearly cap hit is actually not too crazy.

2) Zach does a lot of great things and can drive play, but his game is so based on playing high-energy...I do worry about his ability to sustain that level of energy as he gets older. I also think we've already seen his best, that he's already peaked...not saying he's some kind of scrub now, I still think he's a very good player, but he's likely going to get signed to superstar dollars. GMs make the mistake of signing good to very good players to this kind of money all of the time, thinking that doing so will somehow lead to superstar performance. When Zach does sign that kind of contract, it won't be nearly as glaring of a mistake as the Rangers signing Gomez, but it will still be a mistake...one Lou should not make.

The only way I see it making sense for Zach to stay is if the contract isn't for a ridiculous term (6 years or less) and the cap hit isn't crazy (no more than $6.5 million per year)...I know this will never happen. If some other team wants to cough up 7 or more seasons or $50 million plus, I don't think the Devils should match it. I think Lou can find a way to re-invest the money they would've given to Zach where they'll remain competitive, and the team's spirit won't be broken.

with a thin UFA crop this year (essentially Parise & Suter) the law of supply & demand hold and teams will be throwing lots of cash toward these two.

Parise can get more $ elsewhere for sure. He's got one heckuva decision in front of him. A team with a bright young star in net seems to be the best fit for #9.

I hope he is not re-signed....sorry, just not worth the money. "Captain" giggle.gif Wednesday is his last chance to lead this team.

Youre a joke. Youre just another devils fan that apparently doesnt understand the game other than whos on the score sheet. You wanna make a corny status, make it about that bum kovalchuk. They only times he's been visible this series is when hes turning over the puck everytime he touches it. Go root for the rangers buddy because youre a joke of a devils fan.

keep in mind that Zach is like second highest in playoff points on the team this season. In addition, he's the second Captain in team history to lead the Devils to the SCF.

That being said if he walks, he walks. Give the "C" to Kovy.

This is leadership:

tumblr_lyw340hk0x1qhq2bho1_400.gif

If he is out purely for the money, show him the door. He has pulled a vanishing act in the Finals, and hasn't been putting the neck in the net...

I would give the "C" to Zajac if he leaves. Let Patty and Kovy keep the "A".

He's not an NHL Playoff elite player.

He will command big $s.. not sure he is worth it

Perfect summary. I am a huge Zach fan and love him as our Captain...but his scoring ability is limited compared to a real sniper like Kovy or a Malkin, etc. If you play Zach tough down low, it is not impossible to shut him down. (see: PRONGER)

I've never liked the idea that we were built around our three best players being LWs, essentially forcing at least one of them to play out of position. That being said, Elias only has a few years left so if the cap hit is right (7 million or below IMO) and we don't have to front load the contract throwing us into further financial trouble I wouldn't mind having Zack back.

Also, what effect does Zack leaving have on re-signing Zajac next offseason? We don't have the talent to withstand another run of Lou letting player after player walk again for a series of offseasons.

Edited by Lateralous