2013-14 Albany Devils and ECHL Thread

thefiestygoat

Boucher and Merril seem to be playing well. Matteau on the other hand, isn't looking so great with his 1 point and only 13 SOG? Can anybody comment on how he's played otherwise? If he's a Zubrus-like player, I imagine what he does isn't always evident on the scoresheet, but 1 point and 13 SOG looks pretty bad.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boucher and Merril seem to be playing well. Matteau on the other hand, isn't looking so great with his 1 point and only 13 SOG? Can anybody comment on how he's played otherwise? If he's a Zubrus-like player, I imagine what he does isn't always evident on the scoresheet, but 1 point and 13 SOG looks pretty bad.

why why why Lou didnt give up that pick

I'd like to see more out of Matteau too, but in fairness to him, he is 19 and young for the league. I think he's 1 of 5 U20 guys in the AHL so far this year. Lou has mentioned he sees Matteau as a power forward and those guys typically take some time to develop. Unfortunately for Matteau, he's always going to be the guy that the Devils picked when everyone wanted them to forfeit the pick. Hopefully for his sake the Devils have a good season this year and fans are patient with him.

I'd like to see more out of Matteau too, but in fairness to him, he is 19 and young for the league. I think he's 1 of 5 U20 guys in the AHL so far this year. Lou has mentioned he sees Matteau as a power forward and those guys typically take some time to develop. Unfortunately for Matteau, he's always going to be the guy that the Devils picked when everyone wanted them to forfeit the pick. Hopefully for his sake the Devils have a good season this year and fans are patient with him.

yeah I dont hate the guy or think he should turn into the next Zubrus, it's Lou I cant figure out in this particular situation

right now it looks bad because we could have ended up with a top 5 pick again this coming draft (I hope not) 

I hope our finishing position is around 15th or better, that will take the sting out of what could have been

Albany lost to Adirondack 3-1. The Albany Devils have now lost their last 4 games being outscored by opponents 15-4. PP over that time is 0/21. Scoring for the Devils was Hoeffel (Sestito). Clermont stopped 27 of 30 shots. Boucher once again had a game high 5 shots and is now averaging 3.5 shots per game thru 11 games. Here is the gamesheet. I'll post highlights later if they are made available.

Elmira lost to Reading 5-2. Here is the gamesheet. Devils prospects:
Raman Hrabarenka: Goal, +1, 2 Shots
Riley Boychuk: DNP
Harry Young: DNP

AHL

Albany Devils notes from the Times Union.

ECHL

11/6
Elmira lost to Florida 5-2.  Devils prospects:
Raman Hrabarenka: (Called up to Albany)
Riley Boychuk: (Called up to Albany)
Harry Young: DNP (Upper Body Injury)
Maxime Clermont: DNP (Just returned from Albany)

11/7
Elmira lost to Orlando 4-1. Devils prospects:
Maxime Clermont: 41 Saves on 45 Shots

Artem Demkov who was in Albany Devils camp is off to a solid start: 7 GP 6-0-6, +4, 6 PIM, 4.28 SH/GP

AHL

Albany snapped their 4 game losing streak with a 6-5 victory over Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. Sislo led the way with a hat trick and an assist, Boucher and Olesz had a goal and assist each, and K. Zajac added the other goal. 9 different Devils had an assist. Kinkaid stopped 28 of 33 shots. Sislo and Boucher were the 1st and 2nd stars. The Devils PP which had been 0/21 during the losing streak went 2/6 tonight. Here is the gamesheet. Highlights:

ECHL

Elmira defeated Florida 6-5. Here is the gamesheet. Devils prospects:
Maxime Clermont: DNP

Edited by thefiestygoat

Albany lost to Adirondack 2-0. Wedgewood stopped 23 of 25 shots and was named 2nd star. Helgeson and Scarlett had a team high 4 shots each. Burlon and Boychuk were the only Devils without a shot on goal. Albany was 0/4 on the PP but 6/6 on the PK and had the edge in shots 28-25. Here is the gamesheet. Worth noting that Timmins didn't play with some sort of injury.

Highlights from yesterday's game were edited in above.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Albany defeated Bridgeport 5-2. Scoring for the Devils was Whitney (Olesz, Kelly), Pelley (Hrabarenka, Pesonen), McKelvie (Hrabarenka, Boucher), Kelly (Pelley, Matteau), and Boucher (Pesonen, Matteau). Kinkaid stopped 25 of 27 shots. Shots were even at 27, Albany went 0/3 on the PP and 2/2 on the PK. Kelly, Pelley, and Pesonen were the 3 stars. Boucher had a game high 5 shots. Here is the gamesheet.

Some random stats:

Reid Boucher: 14 GP 5-6-11, +3, 2 PIM, 10.4 SH%, 3.42 SH/GP
Joe Whitney: 14 GP 6-7-13, +3, 12 PIM, 15.7 SH%, 2.71 SH/GP
Stefan Matteau: 13 GP 1-2-3, -2, 8 PIM, 6.2 SH%, 1.23 SH/GP
Keith Kinkaid: 6 GP 4-1-0-1, 2.48 GAA, .901 SV%

Albany defeated Bridgeport 5-2. Scoring for the Devils was Whitney (Olesz, Kelly), Pelley (Hrabarenka, Pesonen), McKelvie (Hrabarenka, Boucher), Kelly (Pelley, Matteau), and Boucher (Pesonen, Matteau). Kinkaid stopped 25 of 27 shots. Shots were even at 27, Albany went 0/3 on the PP and 2/2 on the PK. Kelly, Pelley, and Pesonen were the 3 stars. Boucher had a game high 5 shots. Here is the gamesheet.

Some random stats:

Reid Boucher: 14 GP 5-6-11, +3, 2 PIM, 10.4 SH%, 3.42 SH/GP

Joe Whitney: 14 GP 6-7-13, +3, 12 PIM, 15.7 SH%, 2.71 SH/GP

Stefan Matteau: 13 GP 1-2-3, -2, 8 PIM, 6.2 SH%, 1.23 SH/GP

Keith Kinkaid: 6 GP 4-1-0-1, 2.48 GAA, .901 SV%

I haven't followed the AHL all that closely in years past. What exactly should I expect from Matteau by year's end though? You mentioned how he's one of the few 19 year olds in the league and that a power forward type takes longer to develop, so should I just not pay attention to him until next year or is there a mark you'd like to see him hit by the end of the year?

I think a good season for Matteau would be something like 15 goals 15 assists per 80 games.  I'd like to see him at 2 shots/game too.  19 year olds in the AHL are usually excellent offensive players - Matteau is not that.  As an analogue, Zemgus Girgensons played in the AHL as an 18 year old and had 17 points (6 goals) in 61 games.

I imagine Matteau will get more opportunities if someone gets called up to NJ, but right now that doesn't look imminent.

I think a good season for Matteau would be something like 15 goals 15 assists per 80 games.  I'd like to see him at 2 shots/game too.  19 year olds in the AHL are usually excellent offensive players - Matteau is not that.  As an analogue, Zemgus Girgensons played in the AHL as an 18 year old and had 17 points (6 goals) in 61 games.

I imagine Matteau will get more opportunities if someone gets called up to NJ, but right now that doesn't look imminent.

Ok. So I guess he's not as far off the mark as it would seem he is based on the 3 points and 16 shots he's put on goal. I just want to see him do well because we probably should have given up the pick. I get LL's reasoning, but it still was a questionable decision, imo. If he does well, it takes the sting away from that a bit.

Have to be satisfied with Boucher's shots per game, no?

He's leading AHL rookies in shots and probably is leading or is right up there in shots per game. Tied for 4th in the league in shots. He's 8th in rookie scoring. I'm pretty happy with his numbers so far, but I do wonder how his defensive game has been this year. I haven't seen any of the games.

Ok. So I guess he's not as far off the mark as it would seem he is based on the 3 points and 16 shots he's put on goal. I just want to see him do well because we probably should have given up the pick. I get LL's reasoning, but it still was a questionable decision, imo. If he does well, it takes the sting away from that a bit.

I agree with you. Sucks for Matteau but it will be tough for him to ever live down the draft pick that shouldn't have been. We are all hoping for big things from him.

AHL
Albany defeated Hartford 3-0. Scoring for the Devils was Boychuk (Hoeffel, Kelly), Whitney (Olesz, Kelly), and Pelley (EN, McKelvie). Kinkaid stopped all 25 shots he faced. The Devils were 0/4 on the PP but 4/4 on the PK and were outshot 25-20. Burlon and Matteau had a team high 3 shots each. Kinkaid, Kelly, and Whitney were the 3 stars. Here is the gamesheet.

Keith Kinkaid: 7 GP 5-1-0-1, 2.13 GAA, .915 SV%
Joe Whitney: 15 GP 7-7-14, +4, 12 PIM, 17.5 SH%, 2.66 SH/GP

ECHL
Elmira lost to Wheeling 5-1. Here is the gamesheet. Devils prospects:
Harry Young: E, 3 Shots
Maxime Clermont: DNP

AHL
Albany had a 2-1 shootout win over Syracuse. They have won 4 of their last 5 games. Scoring for the Devils was Scarlett (PP, Whitney, Boucher). Boucher scored the lone shootout goal. Kinkaid stopped 29 of 30 shots and all 5 shooters he faced in the shootout. The Devils went 1/4 on the PP, 5/5 on the PK, and outshot Syracuse 34-30. Kinkaid and Scarlett were the 1st and 3rd stars. Whitney led the team with 5 shots followed by Boucher and Scarlett with 4 shots each. Here is the gamesheet.

Keith Kinkaid: 8 GP 6-1-1, 1.97 GAA, .922 SV%, 1 SO

ECHL
Elmira lost to Wheeling 5-4. Here is the gamesheet. Devils prospects:
Harry Young: Called Up to Albany
Maxime Clermont: 26 Saves on 31 Shots

Edited by thefiestygoat

This (& prospects) is the first thread I go to when I visit Fiesty. thanks for continual updates!

Your welcome! I really enjoy following all the prospects and minor league teams. Some Albany news from today:

Kinkaid named CCM/AHL Player of the Week (video on the bottom of the article featuring some of his saves)

The American Hockey League announced today that Albany Devils goaltender Keith Kinkaid has been selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Nov. 17, 2013.

Kinkaid won all three of his starts last week, allowing a total of three goals on 82 shots (3-0-0, 0.97, .963). For the season, Kinkaid ranks second in the AHL with a 1.97 goals-against average, sporting a record of 6-1-1 with a .922 save percentage in eight appearances.

Your welcome! I really enjoy following all the prospects and minor league teams. Some Albany news from today:

Kinkaid named CCM/AHL Player of the Week (video on the bottom of the article featuring some of his saves)

I'll second what vadvlfan said.

You think sending down Merril was about getting him playing time since he'd been sidelined with his smashed face? I really would have liked to see him get a game in with NJ, but I can see why this is a good decision. Don't want him to miss too much time if he isn't gonna play. Although I think he could have replaced Harrold without it being an issue. Either it's my flawed perception or Harrold just hasn't been as good this year.