Giants vs Jets fans in NJ/NY

Satans Hockey

29 members have voted

1. 1. Giants or Jets?

• GIANTS fan living in NEW JERSEY
    • GIANTS fan living in NEW YORK
    • JETS fan living in NEW JERSEY
    • JETS fan living in NEW YORK

First, I would like to make the point that this poll does not conclusively show either way whether North Jersey is mostly Giants or mostly Jets as I have noticed that there are more Jets than Giants fans on this site (could be wrong on that but that's what it seems like to me).

Now...

It is a popularly agreed-upon fact that there are more Giants fans than Jets in North Jersey and more Jets fans than Giants fans in Long Island. Evidence for this claim:

If you look at the New York area in this NFL fan map (sorry for its immense size), you clearly see that the Jets fan base is most dense on Long Island while the Giants is in North Jersey/Southern NY state. (And yes, I did notice that the image itself says that it is "highly innaccurate", but I couldn't find anything better and it looks about right everywhere else so it will have to do)

nfl_1280.gif

From Wikipedia/history of the New York Jets:

the Giants had a tremendous head start in attracting fans close to its New Jersey home, whereas the Jets' fan base remained on Long Island. Without rail service between Long Island and New Jersey Turnpike Exit 16w (the nondescript wetlands area where the Meadowlands is located) Jets fans faced a difficult trek through several layers of dense New York Metro-area traffic on game days.

From Wikipedia/New York Giants:

The Giants draw their fans from the New York metropolitan area. Since their move to New Jersey in 1976, fans from each state have claimed the team as their own.[49] In January 1987, shortly before the team won Super Bowl XXI, then New York City mayor Ed Koch labeled the team "foreigners" and said they were not entitled to a ticker-tape parade in New York City.[50] The city, under current mayor Michael Bloomberg, threw a ticker tape parade in honor of the Giants' Super Bowl XLII victory at the Canyon of Heroes in lower Manhattan on February 5, 2008.[51] According to a team spokesman, in 2001, 49 percent of the Giants' season ticket-holders lived in New Jersey. Most of the remaining ticket holders lived in New York State with some coming from other states.[49]

I rest my case.

There are more Giants fans than Jets in North Jersey... here is the evidence for this claim:

If you look at the New York area in this NFL fan map, you clearly see that the Jets fan base is most dense on Long Island.

(And yes, I did notice that the image says that it is "highly innaccurate")

Epic_Fail_by_GigaBowser86.jpg

*FAIL: -When you can't make sense of something... contradiction becomes plausible. :whistling:

*EDIT: -Going forward, there are now 2 `N's in the word Inaccurate.... 3 O's in the word Foolish... and "Silly" will be spelled as followed; N-Y-R-S-U-C-K-2-6.

...that is all. :doh1:

Edited by Beezer34

*FAIL: -When you can't make sense of something... contradiction becomes plausible. :D

*EDIT: -Going forward, there are now 2 `N's in the word Inaccurate.... 3 O's in the word Foolish... and "Silly" will be spelled as followed; N-Y-R-S-U-C-K-2-6.

LOL, harsh!! At least he tried. :P

*FAIL: -When you can't make sense of something... contradiction becomes plausible. :D

Well played. Even I laughed at that.

I just wanted to show people on the other side of the argument the reason that I am on my side of the argument and why they are wrong. Looking back I did go a bit over-the-top though.

Well played. Even I laughed at that.

...it's all in good fun bro. I was just busting your chops. ;)

The bottomline is the Giants have the bigger fanbase, therefore they may very well have the majority of the Jersey territory. I just can't seem to find anything indicating it (one way or another) anywhere on the net. :noclue:

I don't know about the entire state of New Jersey, but in my neck of the woods it seems like the majority of people who like football at all are Giants fans. I can probably count the number of Jets fans I know on one hand, and one of those guys just moved to Alabama.

I can probably count the number of Jets fans I know on one hand, and one of those guys just moved to Alabama.

Joe Namath, the College Years tour? :)

FWIW, I am a Jets fan in New Jersey. I don't have the numbers to back it up, but I'll bet that Jet fan numbers have grown markedly in NJ since the Jets moved here more than 25 years ago. It only makes sense.

you can't root for both :P

it's like having two wives!!!!

and don't worry we hate you just as much B )

(personally I think this board is too small a sampling to get a real answer to this question)

Generally speaking, I root for both. I was primarily a NJ Giants fan till they changed back to the ny logo. But I always liked the Jets too, especially the longer they played here. I don't see the same hatred between their fans as I do with Yankees and Mets fans.

Now I just watch them both and semi-root for both, depending on my mood. At the same time, I hate them both, too, for disrespecting NJ.

If I had to guess, in North Jersey I'd say that there were more Giants fans early on when they first moved here and when they won their first two Super Bowls; but then when the Jets got Parcells and got pretty good for a season or two in the late '90s, they picked up a lot of NJ fans, especially many who were stuck way down on the Giants season ticket waiting list; but then the Giants got good again and went to two more Super Bowls and picked up a lot more NJ fans again. IMO.

Edited by 95Crash

how about eagles fans in new jersey

go eagles

I would say that the Eagles/Devils combo is extremely rare. Most Philly fans are brainwashed to be Philly across the board. I bet the Devils fans that like the Eagles would NEVER wear the red NJ cap to an Eagles game. It's probably like a closet thing!

On the original topic, I think the Jets popularity is growing rapidly in NJ. Now that their operations are entirely based in NJ, interest in them has increased. You'll probably soon find a Jets cluster in Morris County.

I would say that the Eagles/Devils combo is extremely rare. Most Philly fans are brainwashed to be Philly across the board. I bet the Devils fans that like the Eagles would NEVER wear the red NJ cap to an Eagles game. It's probably like a closet thing!

On the original topic, I think the Jets popularity is growing rapidly in NJ. Now that their operations are entirely based in NJ, interest in them has increased. You'll probably soon find a Jets cluster in Morris County.

Hopefully nowhere near my corner of Morris County.

I have two friends who are Eagles/Devils fans. One was raised just outside Trenton where Eagles fans are fairly prevalent, but grew up hating Eric Lindros so he became a Devils fan. The other grew up in Jackson. I guess one isn't that far off from the other.