Leafs, Devs, Bruins trying to land Bouwmeester..

Elias26

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16333

Talking to sources in Toronto today it has become obvious to me that Jay Bouwmeester is VERY much available. Although I continue to hear that the Sens, Sabres, Avalanche, Blues and Kings have serious interest, one source told me that "In my opinion, and according to several of the scouts I have met with, the Maple Leafs, Bruins and Devils my be offering up the most.

Get it done Lou.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoting sideshow Mel from the Simpsons: Hey, look, it's Internet buffoon, Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate)!

This makes me, in a way, hoping that summer was already over and preseason at hand. So there

Edited by dali

I've mentioned it before - if the Devs can nab Jay B., I think this team has a true shot at cup contention. Jay B. plays big minutes in Florida, similar to Paul Martin, but I think has a greater potential offensive upside, and could definitely develop into one of the elite. Trade Gionta and Greene for Jay B., or something similar, and then we have one more forward slot open for a rookie out of camp or F. Fedorov if he impresses.

Before people harp about "why the Gionta hate", there is none. I like the guy a lot. But in terms of tradeable assets, he's one of the only ones we have that we can A) afford to trade and B) has some market value. *Afford to trade meaning based on team make-up (not dollars), the future, youth, potential, etc.

Lock Jay B. up to a 6 year deal or so, and then I think we'd look pretty good on D.

At any rate, it's only Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate), I know, and honestly, who among us couldn't have also guessed this as a rumor? IE, NJ's defense is decent, but not great (overall) (the thing we were previously known for), and Jay B. is going to arbitration (these kinds of players always seem available since they usually get only 1-year deals lately, and then leave for nothing). This is a logical rumor that any of us could have suggested, so on that, hopefully it comes true.

I'm not so sure... sometimes you see players traded for almost nothing in this new NHL - guys that you would expect have value, but for some reason it doesn't translate. Everyone thought Bryzgalov would fetch a decent deal or at least a draft pick, and he was thrown on waivers. Who did we trade for Salvador, a legitimate defensive defender... Janssen, our 4th line guy who never played. I think there's more petty politics to trading players than the fans know about.

Still, it all depends on how it's promoted. Gionta, on our team anyway, has been a top line player (and 2nd line), and Greene is "an up and coming defenseman." All the same, no one knows what it would take, including me, but the goal every year and the scale by which our team is measured is the cup. In other words, I'd have no problem throwing a 2nd round draft pick their way, in addition to Gionta/Greene for Jay B. since I truly believe we aren't too many pieces away from having a great team. Greene isn't a big loss, since we don't have a spot for him anyway, but I think he may have some value for teams looking to rebuild/retool, especially teams that understand the value of a player who knows how to play a system (as is the rap about NJ players).

Gio+Greene+2nd for Jay B. is good by me, but it's because I am very high on Jay. B (I bet you would, Panama Red), and think he's a great investment in our future this season and for seasons to come.

Gio+Greene+2nd for Jay B. is good by me, but it's because I am very high on Jay. B (I bet you would, Panama Red), and think he's a great investment in our future this season and for seasons to come.

Other teams will blow that offer out of the water. You're trading a guy who is making 4 million and a free agent after the year, a defenseman who may or may not turn out to be NHL worthy, and a 2nd rounder for a young all-star defenseman who is still getting better.

You may feel good about throwing in a 2nd round pick to that deal but Florida would still laugh at that offer. Florida would probably start the talks about something like Zajac, Corrente, and some type of pick.

You may feel good about throwing in a 2nd round pick to that deal but Florida would still laugh at that offer. Florida would probably start the talks about something like Zajac, Corrente, and some type of pick.

Zajac? Please god no...anybody but Zajac. /endsarcasm

We'll just have to see if anything transpires. I'm not so certain you're right about other teams blowing us out of the water. You could be right. You may not be. And if that were the case, as you suggest, I'd prob have no problem trading Corrente either, an untested, non-NHL ready defenseman for Jay B., a guy who is getting better every year, average 27+ icetime minutes, and has the potential to be a 50-point defenseman (and is big, fast, and can score goals). Gio+Corrente, also fine by me. At any rate, I simply hope we do trade for Jay B., as I would love him here, and I think he'd be a great fit.

We'd have a SOLID D-core (in no particular pairing order):

Martin/White

Bouwmeester/Salvador

Mottau/Oduya

*Vishnevski

To NJ:

Bouwmeester

To Fla:

Gionta

Vishnevski

and a pick if they dont just want Gionta and Vishnevski straight up.

Why would Florida ever want to do that? So because they don't want to pay JBo long term they'll take on 6 million dollars in salary this season and be left with Vishnevski only next season plus maybe a pick if you're feeling generous? Could we try to come up with ideas Florida would want to do instead of just throwing Devil spare parts at Florida?

Sure. Gionta+Corrente. Covered that in my last post. Gionta is not a spare part, he's a top 6 forward. I agree Vishnevski ain't happening, though. But I also think Greene has more appeal than Vishnevski since he's unproven and people don't know really what he brings or could develop into (looked pretty darn good in his first stint on the team, Greene did), but Vish is a no go for sure.

Sure. Gionta+Corrente. Covered that in my last post. Gionta is not a spare part, he's a top 6 forward. I agree Vishnevski ain't happening, though. But I also think Greene has more appeal than Vishnevski since he's unproven and people don't know really what he brings or could develop into (looked pretty darn good in his first stint on the team, Greene did), but Vish is a no go for sure.

Gionta makes 4 million dollars this season, Florida doesn't want to pay JBO 6 million, as far as I can tell, but are more than happy to take 1 year of Brian Gionta at 4 million as the centerpiece to the deal? Wouldn't everyone rather pay JBO 6 million long term than Gionta 4 million for 1 year and then possibly have him leave?

So next season the Devils could have JBO at 6 million and Florida would be left with Andy Greene or Corrente and some cap space for one of the premiere young defenseman in the league?

Since Bouwmeester elected to go to arbitration, he cannot sign with another team; Martin said the Panthers aren't going to trade him.

''We're confident we'll get something done,'' Martin said. ``That's our approach right now. That's the way we're going. We still are having discussions. It's been a process that's been good on both parts. It hasn't been ugly. It's been healthy discussions from both sides. We're just trying to find a meaningful pay scale he'll be happy with.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/hockey/p...ory/599776.html

new jersey just can't be a part of these discussions. not now and probably not for a long time - with all the older players they signed, they are going to need to keep all their younger players around to replace them.

zajac corrente and a 1st would have to be where the discussion started - and then gionta would be moved somewhere for something like a 2nd. that's too much, what with madden and holik both UFA at the end of the year.

i don't really think the bruins or leafs have what it takes to land bouwmeester either.

Edited by Triumph

Please do not include Gionta in these rumors...this is their version of Parise, and quite frankly probably worth more than Zach.

Are you guys taking Gionta and Green and a 2nd for Zach? Didn't think so. Also, a second round pick around 50th overall isn't exactly a huge trading chip.

Whomever gets Bouwmeester is going to have to pay a significant price. Honestly, Florida is going to ask for Parise, Devs will say no and go in another direction - and that other direction is young players who cost little and are near NHL ready, as well as real draft pick(s) (i.e., first).