THE CAPTAIN'S NIGHT

MantaRay

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dog, I had to chime in about this b/c i think its kinda the opposite.

it's not something I ever felt necessary for Stevens...

I've been on the "Retire #4 boat" since we announced the whole I won't be back thing. Though it makes me sad, i'm glad he didn't come out of retirement and lace 'em up again. It would've made the team WAY too unstable. It's much more dignified to just retire and let it go, as painful as it will be to never see him throwing down out there again.

But now as the date gets closer I sort of get it a little more...
it's too soon... I mean it's almost not fair to Stevens...

i think its totally due for him. He's had a whole season off too. I think it might be too soon for *me* personally. I wasn't totally ready to let it go and deal with the finality of it. I mean, sure, i know i just said he shouldn't come back but a lil smidge of me hoped he would anyway and that i'd get one more opportunity to see him out there, throwing down ;).

It's fair to him, he's obviously resigned himself to it so he's ok with the whole thing, and i know that i'll bawl my eyes out when he steps out there in his suit and his glasses but it'll be good to see #4 hanging up there everytime i goto a game from now on. I think i'll feel like somehow he's there, even if he's not on the ice anymore. I know thats super cheesey but its true.

He led the Devs to 3 cups in 10 years, he was a warrior from the first to the last. This *IS* his day and he deserves to know just how much we all appreciate him and his work.

Yeah em... I mean I'll b psyched for HoF induction -- but I wish all this was spread out. I dont want him back playing - I dont even consider that an option - I never really did once he was out with the concussion - there was a chance.. .but you know monkeys also might fly out of my but :P

It's just this is it... no more Stevens news after this -- it's like he's being hussled out the door I'd have liked a little space. This sounds gay but I had National Vevet on and her mom has this great little scene telling Velvet to go for it - it may be folly but go for your dream and when it's all done no matter what the outcome you let it go- there's a time in life for everything and for sure it's time for Stevens to retire and move on to an equally exciting part of his life (although I've always thought women have it much easier in the compartmentalized sort of linear phases of life department - I think fo rmen their vocation is very much who they are for life... too many men think if they have no job per se they have no purpose) anyhow -- I digress :rolleyes:

I just hate "special" that "special" feeling like you're sick or something... even if it's a GOOD thing... I just hate special attention where you're singled out - I like people to say Man you're great and winning stuff is neat -- but... -- and it IS me... just how I feel but I can always take how I feel and fit it nicely over Stevens public persona :P I'm nothing like him - we aren't kindred spirits even remotely .. I dont understand him - I just put myself in his shoes and feel a certain way and ... I'm so into the hwole I['m right about everything anyhow I can't imagine him really comfortable with this... I can't comprehend him not having that bumms rush kind of feeling...

But nows the time and while I'd have rather it been a reasonable 5 years after retirement - why wait? This is great it is... Oh WHATEVER! :lol: it's ME It's ME OK! :lol: but I'm going and all... and I wont' cry -- I mean for goodness sake what's this guy to me? Part of me honestlky thinks WHOCARES? He's a HOCKEY PLAYER! I mean who cares? Whats it to me? :lol: Kind of even annoyed I have to sit on my ass for an hour waiting for the game to start... and watch Eric Cole kick our ass :P

:P Of course I have no problem with the Dano thing... I wont' even think twice about it... I guess I'm just possesive about the Stevens story or something... :rolleyes: whatever shut up already dogg :doh1:

OH OH! AND -- you see this is all great and I think what anoys me -- is this is it -- it will never be Stevens turn again. EVERY DAY IS STEVENS DAY to me! And after Firday -- well then it's Danos turn <_< it should ALWAYS be STEVENS TURN! :rant::evil: I dont want to give the place up to someone else dammittall! :rant: I LOVE movong on ... I love life for goodness sake... but --- :rant: that's all... just &*(%&*)(%&@*(%^&*)%Y*&(@$#.

Edited by Darwindog

You should have bought tickets. You can always get another interview, but there will never be another Stevens night. Also, even if you decided not to go the secondary market for tickets is pretty nuts you could have easily flipped them for a profit.

There might be more radio coverage on Stevens and the Devils in Ottawa this morning. The last hour of the show Sportscall basically just talked about great Scott Stevens moments and about them retiring his jersey.

Mike Emerick then came on to talk about Stevens and the Devils.

I was so impressed by the radio guys knowing so much about the Devils talking about Cam Janssen beating up Ryan Hollweg. They talked about other Devils that could be retired including Niedermayer and MacLean mentioning the goal that he scored against Chicago to get him in the playoffs.

It was very nice to hear and refreshing.

Emi - well said

but..lets give the dogg her due... she's earned it. Carry on my friend... no judgements and no regrets.

No Conn Smythe award ? :rant:

There might be more radio coverage on Stevens and the Devils in Ottawa this morning. The last hour of the show Sportscall basically just talked about great Scott Stevens moments and about them retiring his jersey.

Mike Emerick then came on to talk about Stevens and the Devils.

I was so impressed by the radio guys knowing so much about the Devils talking about Cam Janssen beating up Ryan Hollweg. They talked about other Devils that could be retired including Niedermayer and MacLean mentioning the goal that he scored against Chicago to get him in the playoffs.

It was very nice to hear and refreshing.

and we cant get this in our own backyard :rolleyes::rant:

You should have bought tickets. You can always get another interview, but there will never be another Stevens night. Also, even if you decided not to go the secondary market for tickets is pretty nuts you could have easily flipped them for a profit.

Maybe. I work in a kind of niche field though, where doing things like driving down the Eastern Seaboard on Memorial Day weekend in an un-airconditioned car is evidence that you aren't kidding about really, really wanting to work 70 hours a week for no money, and if you don't want to do it, they hire the person who would. I missed my senior year sorority formal, much to the horror of my friends, for a similar thing.

Maybe. I work in a kind of niche field though, where doing things like driving down the Eastern Seaboard on Memorial Day weekend in an un-airconditioned car is evidence that you aren't kidding about really, really wanting to work 70 hours a week for no money, and if you don't want to do it, they hire the person who would. I missed my senior year sorority formal, much to the horror of my friends, for a similar thing.

Sounds almost like the radio industry.

Man I am THE only one who hates this aren't I?

I hate it -- I do. :lol:

:rofl:

I wish I could just be quiet about it like msweet. Just say NOTHING and just 'be' you know?

I hate being a loudmouth :saddevil:

Edited by Darwindog

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.