isles aquire vanek. large deal

caron14

Let's try and not justify every lame trade rumor by referencing the Kovalchuk move. This team doesn't have a 1st this year, and outside of Henrique, there really isn't much the devils could offer. They're not going to take the Devils' junk.

I don't disagree.

However, considering how little it took to get Kovalchuk who is better than Vanek, I wouldn't count it out so quickly.  The Devils have better prospects than they did when they made the Kovy trade.

I don't disagree.

However, considering how little it took to get Kovalchuk who is better than Vanek, I wouldn't count it out so quickly.  The Devils have better prospects than they did when they made the Kovy trade.

You're not trading with Don Waddell either, and Regier is notorious for holding out till he gets a king's ransom.  He's more likely to not trade Vanek at all than to trade him for a crap return.

Plus we don't have many prospects up front, almost all our prospects are on D but Buffalo's got those too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

One thing that limits the Vanek return, same as limited the Kovalchuk one, is that the salary cap is a very real concern for pretty much every team.  That's going to rule out half the potential suitors right away. 

Buffalo has plenty of prospects everywhere - they need actual players.  It wouldn't surprise me too much to see them take back a legit player and a good prospect/pick back.

Plus, not to get ahead of ourselves here, but assuming we give up significant pieces to acquire him with the intent of resigning him (like Kovalchuk), do you really want Vanek here for the next 7-8 years at 7-8m per?  

I sure as hell don't.  And I'm pretty sure that's what it'd take.

The issue with Vanek is there is about a 90 percent chance he signs with the Wild in the offseason so unless the Devils were able to hammer out the structure of a long-term contract at the time of the trade, it would be a fool's errand to go that route. I currently live in Minneapolis and I can tell you there are plenty of people associated with the Wild who believe it's going to be a done deal (Vanek to Minn) in 2014-2015.

Well it's clear this team does know how to take a guy and get him to sit back and stop to think about what he's doing

in the middle of a game 

on ice

Are they slow?  or just showing their mental composure?  Ability to keep a cool head when the world around them is rushing around at top speed?  a$$holes  <_<

it's the little things - like not panicking.  Being able to stand back and watch the game unfold calmly.... while the opposition skates past them and the clock ticks down. dammm morons!

They dont need a player with more speed they need to WAKE THE fvck UP!  Stop thinking they were gifted with special talent in years past (it's decades now fvcknobbs FYI).  Us spoiled fans  :argh:  yeah rrright.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Vanek, at this moment in time, isn't a good fit here.  I like him and his scoring prowess, but the Devils need to shed some of the power-forward type players (ala Ryder / Clowe) and get some speed.

The Devils are simply a team that have a bunch of "spare parts" that perhaps would be successful on other teams as parter of the larger whole, but on this team aren't exactly clicking on all cylinders.

I would like to see two young prospect defensemen (ala Gelinas and Merril) and Boucher / Teddy / YaYo play with more consistency.

If we're gonna throw away the season before game 10, might as well get the younger lads in games so that they can get some work in.  No need to have a group of overpaid, undermotivated, underachievers on the ice IMO.

Edited by Mitico12

You might only be getting the top line player for one year, that's the lunacy part of it.  And even if you do re-sign Vanek he's getting big money in the back end of his career, that hasn't exactly backfired on us before.

There are no good contracts in this league any more. Therefore, if you want quality you have to pay for it at some point...

The issue with Vanek is there is about a 90 percent chance he signs with the Wild in the offseason so unless the Devils were able to hammer out the structure of a long-term contract at the time of the trade, it would be a fool's errand to go that route. I currently live in Minneapolis and I can tell you there are plenty of people associated with the Wild who believe it's going to be a done deal (Vanek to Minn) in 2014-2015.

Nothing is a done deal that far in advance in the NHL. Also not sure how anyone could be so confident on that when Minn can't even talk contract with Vanek.

Vanek, at this moment in time, isn't a good fit here.  I like him and his scoring prowess, but the Devils need to shed some of the power-forward type players (ala Ryder / Clowe) and get some speed.

The Devils are simply a team that have a bunch of "spare parts" that perhaps would be successful on other teams as parter of the larger whole, but on this team aren't exactly clicking on all cylinders.

I would like to see two young prospect defensemen (ala Gelinas and Merril) and Boucher / Teddy / YaYo play with more consistency.

If we're gonna throw away the season before game 10, might as well get the younger lads in games so that they can get some work in.  No need to have a group of overpaid, undermotivated, underachievers on the ice IMO.

I don't think I or anyone for that matter would call Ryder a power forward.

Edited by ATLL765