Rooting Interests Thread

PaDevsFan

What I sort of like about this position -- it's PERFECT training. EVERY game is critical/non-important so you play with full pressure but there is no deeper kicking yourself. The kicking of ones self is just so non-productive and so impossible to avoid.

Nothing and everything is riding on every game. It's like youth - this blind stupid faith trying to attain the unattainable. Everyone said I HAD to have a back up career - yes mine was art to the dismay of every teacher I had :noclue: When there's no safety net it's just more FUN! and you move forward in such a productive happy way.

This is hockey for me. this is what I love and what I seriously never thought I'd have the opportunity to enjoy as a Devils fan. I had it with the Islanders in the 70s... and now here it is and it's AWESOME! and Lemiare at the helm... I just love this stuff. Who knew this is what it would take to get them there. I always wondered... wow and Lou did it and I'm just happy and pray we dont' get a stupid owner who can't shift his sight with the times. This is a really revitalizing place and I'm psyched for Patty - he's in the perfect time zone for it all. Marty is sooo close! Just hang in there man! You can do it don't get frustrated or beleive your on any down swing! Just get a new fresh vision! Please hang on -- I want it for Marty so badly!!!! But of course not if it's just too much :P I know how it is ^_^

man I drifted in this post.. :lol:

• Like 1

Oh no... I have more to say! :(

See Marty had one career -- now he can have another! It's like he's Chico and Billy Smith reversed! He can have his Chico career but even better! He's establishing the tone and then yeah -- when they hit their stride Marty will be moving on... but deep down, Chico HAS to knwo how he set that team up. He has every right to have a deep personally pride in that dynastic run because he provided the ever important ground work. I KNOW IT! and I was just a stupid kid. Chico is the Islanders Dynasty to me. Just that awful feeling when he was traded... but he set it all up! I KNOW it's time but he set it all UP!!! He has to STAY!!! I was crushed.

I :wub: Chico.

ANYHOW -- so you want to be able to pass the torch... I hoped Marty would be able to really pass the torch and say "You da man now!" For him even not so much for the team. It's gratifying to leave seamlessly, not in a state of limbo. But he may have to just say -- keep it going until my replacement arrives - hugs and kisses! See ya!

Edited by Pepperkorn

What I sort of like about this position -- it's PERFECT training. EVERY game is critical/non-important so you play with full pressure but there is no deeper kicking yourself. The kicking of ones self is just so non-productive and so impossible to avoid.

Nothing and everything is riding on every game. It's like youth - this blind stupid faith trying to attain the unattainable. Everyone said I HAD to have a back up career - yes mine was art to the dismay of every teacher I had :noclue: When there's no safety net it's just more FUN! and you move forward in such a productive happy way.

And the crazy thing is all this FUN started while the team was in last place in the entire league! I wonder how many other teams' fans felt this POSITIVE about things while their team was only a few points out of last place, as the Devils are right now.

I bet most people would've assumed that our fans are so spoiled with winning seasons, division titles, Stanley Cups, etc. that we would have given up on this team long ago, like back in December. ... I am sure there are many Devils fans who did just that.

Do you think ANYONE else has a clue to what's going on here ... the hope, the excitement?

Edited by 95Crash

And the crazy thing is all this FUN started while the team was in last place in the entire league! I wonder how many other teams' fans felt this POSITIVE about things while their team was only a few points out of last place, as the Devils are right now.

I bet most people would've assumed that our fans are so spoiled with winning seasons, division titles, Stanley Cups, etc. that we would have given up on this team long ago, like back in December. ... I am sure there are many Devils fans who did just that.

Do you think ANYONE else has a clue to what's going on here ... the hope, the excitement?

Thus the reason I started this thread, to hopefully build and continue to build excitement!! I know there were some people early on that talked about "jinx" and this and that, but I never said they "would" make the playoffs. I wanted them to just continue to get better, continue the run, and just be fun to watch which they have on all three counts!! Lets keep it rolling guys!!

Edited by PaDevsFan

Tonight there are several games that can help the Devils...

Of Course first and foremost we need to keep "The Run" going with a big win over the Leafs...

Next this goes against the very core of my being but I must root for the Flyers to defeat the Canes...

Next would love to see the Isles upset Montreal (to further the bunching syndrome at the bottom of the top 8) this one will be tough...

Last this one is really tough do we want Florida or Buffalo??? My gut feeling is Buffalo will get in so we want them to beat Florida so we can gain on them. It wouldnt be horrible if Florida wins though as if you subscribe to the bunching theory this helps that as well. Bottom line is one of 2 teams in front of us is not going to get 2 points. Remember Florida is 8 points ahead with a game in hand so we need to catch them , and Buffalo is I beleive 11 points ahead with 2 games in hand. We just want a regulation victory by the winning team! My pick is root for Buffalo...

GO DEVILS Keep the dream alive!!

I guess whatever gets us to the 8 spot quickest. So definitely Flyers tonight.

I'm with you on the Isles.

However, I think I'd rather the Panthers beat the Sabres. The faster Buffalo gets to the 8 spot, the faster the Flames, Canes and Rangers will feel the pressure to turn up the heat. I'd rather they stay cool right now so we can inch closer quicker. Either way, definitely no OT in that game tonight, that's for sure.

Edited by 95Crash

We absolutely have to hope for a Florida win.

A Carolina loss combined with a Florida win puts Carolina on pace for 88 points and Buffalo for 85 points and Florida at still only 82.

88 points is huge, it buys the Devils one more loss. 23-5 turns into 22-6. That means we need to win 3 of 4 games from here on out instead of 4 in 5.

The other scenario, a Carolina win and Buffalo win puts them both at over 88 points projected.

Go Flyers go Panthers!

We absolutely have to hope for a Florida win.

A Carolina loss combined with a Florida win puts Carolina on pace for 88 points and Buffalo for 85 points and Florida at still only 82.

88 points is huge, it buys the Devils one more loss. 23-5 turns into 22-6. That means we need to win 3 of 4 games from here on out instead of 4 in 5.

The other scenario, a Carolina win and Buffalo win puts them both at over 88 points projected.

Go Flyers go Panthers!

Well then if we are going with projected totals, then I will root for Florida, like I said whoever wins that one win it in regulation not in OT or shootout!!

Assuming Buffalo holds on to their 4 goal lead:

pos team games pts proj chg

7 rang 56 62 90.79 0.00

8 car 54 59 89.59 -0.14

9 atl 56 58 84.93 0.00

10 buf 52 55 86.73 1.52

11 flor 53 52 80.45 -1.55

xx njd 54 44 66.81 1.83

7 rang 56 62 90.79 0.00

8 car 55 59 87.96 -1.63

9 atl 56 58 84.93 0.00

10 buf 53 57 88.19 1.46

11 flor 54 53 80.48 0.03

xx njd 55 46 68.58 1.77

Carolina's loss today was excellent. There are now two teams projected for ~88 points, Buffalo and Carolina. Buffalo has now actually passed Carolina in winning percentage and are the new "enemy." If the Rangers lose tomorrow they will be on pace for ~89 points.

The Devils new MINIMUM record is: 21-6, or .778 winning percentage.

7 rang 56 62 90.79 0.00

8 car 55 59 87.96 -1.63

9 atl 56 58 84.93 0.00

10 buf 53 57 88.19 1.46

11 flor 54 53 80.48 0.03

xx njd 55 46 68.58 1.77

Carolina's loss today was excellent. There are now two teams projected for ~88 points, Buffalo and Carolina. Buffalo has now actually passed Carolina in winning percentage and are the new "enemy." If the Rangers lose tomorrow they will be on pace for ~89 points.

The Devils new MINIMUM record is: 21-6, or .778 winning percentage.

excellent work here, sir. i'm trying not to think about these scenarios until the devils get within reasonable striking distance. which for me is running off like 9 more wins in a row, haha.

basically this stretch IS the playoffs. if we make it to the playoffs, it's like we won the stanley cup.

excellent work here, sir. i'm trying not to think about these scenarios until the devils get within reasonable striking distance. which for me is running off like 9 more wins in a row, haha.

basically this stretch IS the playoffs. if we make it to the playoffs, it's like we won the stanley cup.

tomorrow it's let's go devils and sadly let's go rangers.

I'd want Atlanta to beat the Rangers, it opens up more slots for the top 8 if these guys are all closer together.

i'm on that boat, too. That puts the Rangers on pace for 90ish points and puts them in striking distance. I don't think the Devils can get to 92 points so it helps to have more teams in the 86-90 range to pass.

8 - Carolina - 54 GP - 59 Points

9 - Atlanta - 56 GP - 58 Points

10 - Buffalo - 52 GP - 55 Points

11 - Florida - 53 GP - 52 Points

12 - Toronto - 54 GP - 51 Points

13 - New Jersey - 54 GP - 44 Points

Stupid Toronto widens the gap. Same distance from Buffalo as before. Made up ground on everyone else.

Update:

8 - Carolina - 55 GP - 59 Points

9 - Atlanta - 56 GP - 58 Points

10 - Buffalo - 53 GP - 57 Points

11 - Florida - 54 GP - 53 Points

12 - Toronto - 55 GP - 52 Points

13 - New Jersey - 55 GP - 46 Points

The only team we stayed even with is Buffalo. We gained one point on Toronto and Florida, and two points on Atlanta and Carolina.

i'm on that boat, too. That puts the Rangers on pace for 90ish points and puts them in striking distance. I don't think the Devils can get to 92 points so it helps to have more teams in the 86-90 range to pass.

Guys I feel the same way. I was told last night in the chat room we want the Rags to win and anybody above #8 to keep winning. I dont agree, I would rather see a jumble and teams all getting closer. Either way this thread is certainly gaining momentum just like the team. We need to keep beleiving this can happen!

About a week or so ago I was saying the Devils needed to go like 24 - 5 - 1 and I actually had tonight penciled in as a loss figuring it wouldnt mean as much in the grand scheme of things, now ??? Forget that, if the Devils win tonight they move within 11 of Carolina.

Only other game of real importance is Rags at Atlanta... Pick your poison on that one. I think we need to root for Atlanta, but if you feel the Rags winning is more important feel free...

Looking ahead though Carolina has another tough one tomorrow at Tampa, then they play Atlanta on Sunday before our matchup with them next week. ONe thing is a bit concerning, we play tonight then I think are off til next Wed... I really hope that mini break doesnt cause some "break" in the momentum. I think Jaques will keep them focused though...

Man if Tampa could help us and beat them tomorrow ... then Sunday either team losing helps so this RUN could get very very interesting by the time we play the Canes next week...

Edited by PaDevsFan

ONe thing is a bit concerning, we play tonight then I think are off til next Wed... I really hope that mini break doesnt cause some "break" in the momentum. I think Jaques will keep them focused though...

I actually think a break is a good thing at this point. especially for the old timers like patrick, jason and Rolly. the effort has been intense, come back with fresh legs. especially after tonight