Parise: "No way" I'll sign with Rangers

Amberite

I think the Rangers are very handy for guys with kids in schools here and wives that like the area. they know the fans won't like it, but the bottom line is the fans are composed of strangers, and family wins that battle. It is a business at the end of the day for lots of guys. I eventually got over MacLean and Driver, but Zach is different. Zach is a young guy wearing the C and the home grown future face of the franchise. Glad to read his comments here :)

At the time I remember adding, "when I come back wearing Broadway Blues". One guy told me no way that would happen, but I had a feeling he was going be a Ranger...especially since New Jersey was so bereft of bookstores and Starbuck's at the time. How could Gomer resist?

And no matter what, I'll always believe that tampering goes on in the NHL (and likely other leagues)...those deals that get signed early on July 1? I'm sure Gomez had no idea what a potential Ranger offer might be until July 1, 12:01 am. Please...

Yeah it's probably done through the agents. The agent has a particular player the team already has under contract or is looking to re-sign, agent and team talk about player and during the conversation feelers get sent out about their FA clients.

Wasn't that "See you in Newark" that Gomez said by him done on a Newark promo video that they showed at Meadowlands? I remember being there and seeing it at some point.

everyone else already got to it but i was using the reference as a joke. it was meant to say that gomez never said he would not sign with the rangers. 90% of us knew he was gone but were'nt sure it would be to the rangers.

Well I think that would bring a sh!tstorm of hate if Zach were to go with the Rainjahs. Pull a Gomer, or a MacLean, or a Driver, or a Sykora (he made up for playing with them) or a Holik. Glad we won't see him there at least. I think Zach is smart enough to know he'd be selling out going there and it would destroy his career playing with that group of primadonnas

One concrete example of what teams do: Won't name the team or the player involved, but, prior to July 1, a team sent a DVD to a pending UFA-to-be basically touting how great the team was, how he would be a great fit, etc.

The Rangers did this with/to Holik.

I remember reading about it at the time.

They're definitely letting his agents know...it borders on tampering really, except that the guy who spilled the beans doesn't technically work for the team, but he does know the owner and talked to him.

Thing with the Wild is, if they can't win they gotta keep the fans' interest some way. That's why Zach's so important to them. And whatever you want to say about them as a franchise, Minnesota isn't a ****hole that people run to avoid like Long Island, or out in the middle of nowhere and fifty below zero like Edmonton who FA's also avoid, price be damned.

Edited by NJDevs4978

They're definitely letting his agents know...it borders on tampering really, except that the guy who spilled the beans doesn't technically work for the team, but he does know the owner and talked to him.

Thing with the Wild is, if they can't win they gotta keep the fans' interest some way. That's why Zach's so important to them. And whatever you want to say about them as a franchise, Minnesota isn't a ****hole that people run to avoid like Long Island, or out in the middle of nowhere and fifty below zero like Edmonton who FA's also avoid price be damned.

The Wild haven't made the playoffs since 2008. They had 98.4% attendance last year. I don't really think they are clamoring for a draw here. I mean, they're going to make a big offer to Parise, but they're not doing it necessarily to get better attendance.

The thing about the salary cap is that the more one player takes, the less there is for other players. The Wild have some decent prospects, but they are miles away from contending for anything.

Edited by Triumph

Well I think that would bring a sh!tstorm of hate if Zach were to go with the Rainjahs. Pull a Gomer, or a MacLean, or a Driver, or a Sykora (he made up for playing with them) or a Holik. Glad we won't see him there at least. I think Zach is smart enough to know he'd be selling out going there and it would destroy his career playing with that group of primadonnas

Mac and Sykora went there after they had already been dealt by the Devils to other teams. I never held anything against them for playing for the Rangers.

Driver's signing with the Rangers really didn't bother me much...not sure why exactly, it just didn't.

Holik and Gomez got so much damned coin that I could understand why they did what they did, though deep down inside, I think they both knew there was no way they were ever going to live up to those contracts. The Holik one was just beyond silly. Poor Gomez is just an easily manipulated dummy, or at least that's how he's alwasy come off in interviews. I don't think he had any idea what he was getting himself into...like some other ex-Devils, I think he knows now the Devils were probably the best setting for him.

Rangers look like they should be a contending team for a while, so I don't think Zach would necessarily be making a mistake if he wanted to go there. It was nice to hear him say "No" to the Rangers, to put himself out there like that, but I don't know how much that means in the long run...we'll find out soon enough.

Tweets from My Ranger Fan Buddy Last Night:

We all know #Parise loves NJ - question is can they pay him - someone will offer front loaded deal

Big words - I will bet you any amount of $$$ he's not a Devil come the start of 2012. Just name the amount.

2.5 wks to go until July 1 - start the countdown

Hey - Parise resigns w #njd Drinks @watersidecafe on me one Fri evening - if not - on you? Deal?

*Just another douchebag Ranger fan...he prides himself on being a "knowledgeable" sports fan, but is he off with this one? I have a good feeling about Zach remaining here, but apparently the rest of the league knows something we don't?

*Just another douchebag Ranger fan...he prides himself on being a "knowledgeable" sports fan, but is he off with this one? I have a good feeling about Zach remaining here, but apparently the rest of the league knows something we don't?

The rest of the league sees 'big name free agent', 'boring Devils', and 'ownership issues' and immediately draw the conclusion of 'Parise can't wait to leave.'