Photo

Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!)

• Please log in to reply
1718 replies to this topic

Poll: Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!) (130 member(s) have cast votes)

When will we see hockey?

1. Oct 12 (10 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Nov 12 (19 votes [14.62%])

Percentage of vote: 14.62%

3. Dec 12 (26 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Jan 13 (33 votes [25.38%])

Percentage of vote: 25.38%

5. Feb 13 (1 votes [0.77%])

Percentage of vote: 0.77%

6. Mar 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Apr 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Oct 13 (14 votes [10.77%])

Percentage of vote: 10.77%

9. Never (27 votes [20.77%])

Percentage of vote: 20.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#701 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

You know it'll end up:
PA: "we would like to go 4+1 to reach 5".
NHL: "hmm, yes we would like that too, but how do you reach 4?"
PA: "2+2".
Leaue: "it is 1+3 or 3+1, nothing else. Deal is off".

No this is how it's really going to go:
NHL: Fine, we give in! The players can have everything they want. The only request we have is Lundqvist needs to wear smaller pads.
PA: What's wrong with Hanks pads?
NHL: Their too big of course.
PA: hmmmmmmm
NHL: So, sounds good?
PA: *pause* no......
NHL: Are you serious?
PA: Meeting is over, better go tell the media no progress was made.
NHL: *epic face palm*

Edited by njd3b1ink, 18 November 2012 - 10:48 AM.

#702 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,288 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

@DarrenDreger: PA is finalizing details of its meeting participants today. NHL brass will include usual execs, owners and at least 1 general manager. #TSN I wonder if that GM is Lou. They brought Lou in in 2005 to participate in the talks, I'll bet he's been asked to get involved.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#703 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

@DarrenDreger: PA is finalizing details of its meeting participants today. NHL brass will include usual execs, owners and at least 1 general manager. #TSN I wonder if that GM is Lou. They brought Lou in in 2005 to participate in the talks, I'll bet he's been asked to get involved.

It's supposed to be either Yzerman or Nieuwendyk. They want a former player in there to try and bridge the gap most likely.

https://twitter.com/...574761069907970

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 19 November 2012 - 02:08 PM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#704 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,288 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

It's supposed to be either Yzerman or Nieuwendyk. They want a former player in there to try and bridge the gap most likely.

. Makes sense. Hopefully they're both there.

#705 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

I remember they brought in Gretzky and Lemieux last time to try and save the season...still didn't work
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#706 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

Lou said he doesn't want to be involved this time.. Who can blame him

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#707 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

I can't help but think Lou's best interests aren't really in line with the GMs of New York/Minnesota/Toronto, etc., that are leading the way in these talks. I doubt they ask him to get involved.

#708 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

No this is how it's really going to go:
NHL: Fine, we give in! The players can have everything they want. The only request we have is Lundqvist needs to wear smaller pads.
PA: What's wrong with Hanks pads?
NHL: Their too big of course.
PA: hmmmmmmm
NHL: So, sounds good?
PA: *pause* no......
NHL: Are you serious?
PA: Meeting is over, better go tell the media no progress was made.
NHL: *epic face palm*

This is how I imagine these talks going:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-k5J4RxQdE
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#709 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,288 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

Burke will be there, but Yzerman will not be, per Dreger. @DarrenDreger: Leafs GM, Brian Burke will join the CBA talks tonight in New York. Maybe a dose of pugnacity or truculence will spark progress? @DarrenDreger: Steve Yzerman says he will not be involved in todays CBA talks.PA meets internally in roughly an hour. Full mtng will take place after that.

#710 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

LET THERE BE HOCKEY! :pray:

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#711 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,288 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

Great, the meetings are already over according to Strang. This is gonna suck, they didn't even meet for 2 hours.

#712 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,406 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

Supposedly they're meeting again tomorrow. About the best you could have hoped for, assuming there was no more name-calling in the meeting or someone doesn't blow up in a press conference tonight. The bar's set so low for these 'negotiations' I'm just relieved when they don't tear each other up.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#713 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,288 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

@KatieStrangESPN: #CBA Negotiations done for the night, according to league. Should know more shortly...

@KatieStrangESPN: #CBA Large grp mtg was on player contracting rights. Fehr said league unwilling to engage on issue. Still good possibility they meet tmrw

#714 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,406 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Apparently the NHL requested a formal proposal from the NHLPA. And it seems clear over the last few days they 'are' willing to negotiate contract rights if the NHL takes a version of the linked 50-50. But Fehr doesn't seem to want to spend any effort negotiating at all. God forbid you decide to articulate what you want instead of constantly saying no, no, no all the time.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#715 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,288 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

@KatieStrangESPN: #CBA Bill Daly said league has requested a formal proposal from the union. Union is considering that now, and two sides will confer in am

@KatieStrangESPN: Bill Daly on whether he expects two sides to meet tmrw: "I hope so"

#716 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,406 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

I'm glad the owners finally called Fehr out on his stalling tactics. If the PA doesn't make a proposal now after they've been publicly and privately asked to do so, they're going to look so bad and everyone'll know Fehr just wants to stall forever. And if they do make another de-linked proposal after it's clear that'll never be agreed to this year it basically has the same effect.

Eventually they're going to have to come with ideas of their own, they can't just wait for the NHL to make twenty proposals and hope the twentieth is capitulation. Unless their endgame is to stall forever, then somehow win in court after a full season out the way the MLBPA did during the '94-95 strike. That's what worries me, I really think Fehr knows he's not going to win at the negotiating table so he'll try to win in court again.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 19 November 2012 - 10:10 PM.

#717 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

Wow, it seems like Fehr and the union showed up having done pretty much none of his homework.

#718 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,735 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

I'm glad the owners finally called Fehr out on his stalling tactics. If the PA doesn't make a proposal now after they've been publicly and privately asked to do so, they're going to look so bad and everyone'll know Fehr just wants to stall forever. And if they do make another de-linked proposal after it's clear that'll never be agreed to this year it basically has the same effect.

Eventually they're going to have to come with ideas of their own, they can't just wait for the NHL to make twenty proposals and hope the twentieth is capitulation. Unless their endgame is to stall forever, then somehow win in court after a full season out the way the MLBPA did during the '94-95 strike. That's what worries me, I really think Fehr knows he's not going to win at the negotiating table so he'll try to win in court again.

lol what. The NHLPA has barely even talked about decertification. Neither side has discussed mediation. Please tell me how Fehr is going to win this battle in court? You, and really everyone talking about the 1994 players strike, should go read up on it.

The NHLPA has not showed its hand because it recognizes that showing its hand means the NHL will take anything that's even remotely considered a concession, jam it all into its next offer, then take out anything the players deem a concession on the owners' part. That is how the NHL rolled last time and it's how the rhetoric is going this time. If the NHL gave even a little bit we'd probably have a deal.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#719 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,406 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

lol what. The NHLPA has barely even talked about decertification. Neither side has discussed mediation. Please tell me how Fehr is going to win this battle in court? You, and really everyone talking about the 1994 players strike, should go read up on it.

The NHLPA has not showed its hand because it recognizes that showing its hand means the NHL will take anything that's even remotely considered a concession, jam it all into its next offer, then take out anything the players deem a concession on the owners' part. That is how the NHL rolled last time and it's how the rhetoric is going this time. If the NHL gave even a little bit we'd probably have a deal.

And the NHLPA isn't doing the same thing with anything the NHL concedes on, like the make whole package? I know you're pro player but eventually they'll have to negotiate if they want a deal in good faith. The players have been just as obstructionist if not more so than the owners since at least the owners made proposals. Both sides share the onus equally here, the players' deals (or HRR proposals since they aren't comprehensive deals) have been every bit as favorable to them as the owners proposals have been to them.

Eventually they need to get it through their thick skulls the other side isn't capitulating. Someone has to make the first move toward the center otherwise it'll never end. It's like a five year old's staring contest. A group of teenagers in Econ class could have negotiated a fair deal by now. This is all about ego now.

And the MLBPA kicked the owners butts in court for decades. It's supposed to be out of the realm that's their endgame here? That's what Fehr knows, winning in court, not real negotiations.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 20 November 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#720 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,735 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

And the NHLPA isn't doing the same thing with anything the NHL concedes on, like the make whole package? I know you're pro player but eventually they'll have to negotiate if they want a deal in good faith. The players have been just as obstructionist if not more so than the owners since at least the owners made proposals.

The NHL wants huge givebacks on salary, and in addition to said givebacks, wants player concessions on contracts, free agency age, and pretty much anything else. It is offering virtually nothing in return.

Someone has to make the first move toward the center otherwise it'll never end. It's like a five year old's staring contest. A group of teenagers in Econ class could have negotiated a fair deal by now. This is all about ego now.

Right, as was the NBA lockout and NFL lockout I guess, because both were significantly longer. All about ego and not about, you know, millions upon millions of dollars. Ego. Gotcha.

And the MLBPA kicked the owners butts in court for decades. It's supposed to be out of the realm that's their endgame here? That's what Fehr knows, winning in court, not real negotiations.

You don't have any idea what you're talking about.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users