NFL Week 16

CRASHER

Well I'm all fired up this week....the family is going to Queens with my sister's in-laws on Saturday.....I just watched ANOTHER Rex Ryan speech of inspiration (and don't doubt me buying ALL-IN on this crap this week)....the bar's gonna be open till at least 6 on Saturday....playoffs on the line.....Nachos and FRAKING SNACKS are ordered....let's do this people!!!!!

Thursday Dec 22.:

Houston at Indy:

Well this is a pile of dog sh!t! Yeah the Texans lost last week....but I almost can't blame them....they clinched the divsion (even by default as it was)....Wade Phillips was home (I forget why and I'm not looking it us for this pile), no Andre Johnson, and all the others who were out, and Carolina was due to have a good effort, and the Colts blew their load winning LAST week (I wonder if the 0 fer Lions had champagne too last week....I bet Dan 0-fer-lowsky did.....now I gotta call him ONE-fer-lousy)....anyway, the Colts dare not win two in a row (imagine if they did and the Vikings were the top pick...oh boy....)....Houston gets it going this week again....

Winner: Texans

Game Quality: DUD

Saturday Dec 24:

1pm:

Arizona at Cincinnati:

You look at this game and think...YAY...anti-football!!! But it's not! This game is a playoff game for both of these teams now, amazingly enough ..... and it's funny lost in all the Tebow madness....John Skelton is 5-1 as a starter this year (and the only loss was a 5 INT effort when I was desperate and spot-started him ....FAIL)....the Bengals did win the human bye week known as the Rams (speaking of another team that can pass the Colts in futility...), I'm really tempted to take Arizona in this one....better check the weather first....44 and Sunny....wow...yeah I'm sticking with Arizona (and AJ Green being banged up makes me doubt this Bengal offense).....

Winner: Arizona

Game Quality: ***

Giants at Jets:

The game of the new milenium....one shall stand....one shall fall....the one game that can affect 2/3rd of the playoff picture in one fell swoop....and get the Cowboys 50% of the way to clinching the NFC East....and like the old expression goes...."the enemy of my enemy is my friend"....even when that enemy of my enemy IS an enemy.... (head spinning yet?? HOW THE HELL DO YOU THINK I FEEL GRABBING A PLATE OF NACHOS AND SPILLING BACON GREASE ON IT EPIC MEAL TIME STYLE TO HAVE A FATTY SNACK TO FIT IN??? God how do I sleep at night this week....)...life has a sense of humor....and the NFC East being as it is.....the Jets will win and Dallas will get smacked by the Eagles....I could break this down by the numbers, but neither team can run, neither team plays good defense, there is ZERO home-field edge here, Eli is better then Nacho tossing the ball, but the Jet secondary is better then the Giant one....so yeah if I'm selling my soul to root for 'em....and the end of the world is still 364 days away...... *sigh*

Winner: J-E-T-S baby!!!!!!!!!!

Game Quality: **** (make no doubt this is a psuedo-playoff game!)

Jacksonville at Tennessee:

So we start strong at 1....and now we drop into the toilet.....the Titans KILLED themself, and I mean Owen Hart falling on top of the Benoit family kinda DEAD here, with an UNTHINKABLE loss against the Colts (and really, it's time to sit Matt Hasselbeck down and let Jake Locker have the keys to the car and see what you got)....the Jaguars are stinky and got pummeled in two of their last three games...and I don't see a beatdown here, but I don't see the Jags having a chance barring one of those 5 TD games outta MJ-D (it is championship week though), and the fight for the right for 8-8 goes on in Tennessee (which would be an accomplishment considering last off-season too....)

Winner: Titans

Game Quality: * 3/4

Chiefs at Raiders:

Another team lives to fight next week and one team drops from the rafters onto the "out of the playoffs" turnbuckle of DOOM...the Chiefs came off the game of the year, with a bad team and Kyle Orton who simply owns the Packers ...weird...no wonder the Bears wanted him....and the Raiders who also did the Gallager-style watamelon drop since I called them "the best team in the AFC"...oops, hell a Raider fan deleted me on Facebook for that even....so petty....I can't see the Chiefs being good enough to play two games like THAT in a row, and the Raiders are still better...wish Darren McFadden would come back from the dead though....(would also be nice if the damn Raiders could put a healthy WR or two out there also)....this game's gonna be ugly, low scoring and comical to watch....but I want as much CHAOS as possible for week 17....so let's do this!!!!

Winner: Raiders (though KC winning makes the AFC West just as much a mess)

Redskins at Vikings:

It's funny, the Vikings won as many games all year as the Redskins did against the Giants (yes folks, that's a cheapshot!)....funny 4 of the 5 wins the Redskins got were against teams fighting for their playoff lives and they'll be going DAMN, how did we lost to THEM....especially if you lost TWICE to them.....the Vikings? Losers of six in a row....and getting worse each week....but Adrian Peterson is back, and the Redskins winning two in a row?? Really? ... REALLY?? I just can't do it....one of those laws of the land....never pick a bad team to win two in a row in the NFL.....and let's be honest, you're NOT watching this at 1pm Saturday.....

Winner: Vikings

Game Quality: **

Miami at New England:

And just when you're stuck in the mud of some AWFUL games....here's a hidden GEM...the Pats are looking to sew up home-field and avoiding their now-annual first round playoff DIVE....but I'm still not all warm and fuzzy on this team...yeah they out-scored the Holy Tebow...yay, but is this another case of New England beating up on a more flawed team then their own? Matt Moore has been good for Miami (damming comment on Chad Henne and his NFL Future), Reggie Bush is talking comeback of the year with his effort....the Miami defense is solid, new coach in town....and can the Pats stop Marshall and Bush? Probably not...yeah I'm pulling a Laflamme and going BOLD PREDICTION....but I like what Miami's got here.....

Winner: Miami

Game Quality: ** 3/4

Browns at Ravens:

We've talked alot about the Ravens laying eggs after big wins....now does this go the other way this week? The Ravens are 3-0 after losses....and it's funny, I kept saying how Colt McCoy is good and the Browns just suck around him, but then Seneca Wallace comes out... 18 for 31, 226 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT and losing a fumble....kinda McCoy-like numbers....that's a bit damming....and regardless of who's throwing the ball for the Browns, the Ravens are gonna bounce back and roll them, making for a VERY Manta-Christmas....fill up the purple stockings this week!

Winner: Ravens

Tampa at Carolina:

Dare I call this an anti-football gem?? The problem is Tampa's been SO AWFUL I don't think they can beat anyone....Carolina's won 3 of 4....Tampa's won 4 ALL year...oi, lots eight in a row...and most of them in "not close" manner... sCam will make his late push for the Rookie of the Year thing here and Tampa just needs to go away, get some veteran talent in there and try it again next year.....

Winner: Carolina

Game Quality: * 1/2

Denver at Buffalo:

Wow.....Tim Tebow LOST A GAME last week....and we're still going batsh!t about him....it must be a sign of the world ending next year and since we all can't make our piece with the almighty, I guess we'll just kiss the ass of his little delegate/ambassador from above sent here to make anti-football look COOL....and my personal love of the Bills aside...this is gonna be a damn fun game....those wacky Bills which have showed signs of offensive LIFE in the last few weeks...and that Duck Throwing, Ball Tucking....TD scoring....God Lovin Sonna Gun (hrm, sounds like a catch-phrase eh?)...Buffalo's still too beat up on both sides, and if God was on the Bills side, that Scott Norwood kick goes a LITTLE BIT to the left....or Brett Hull....ah well you know the Buffalo sports drill right??

Winner: Denver (on your knees and PRAY!)

Rams at Steelers:

Is Ben playing or isn't he?? There's NO reason to put him out there for this one....but they will....BAD idea, let the guy rest, let Charlie Spank Out a Batch, run the ball, get some turnovers and beat up those awful Rams, no other reason to talk about this one.....UPDATE....as I was typing this, Ben is NOT expected to play Saturday...GOOD, take an ugly game now and be READY for the playoffs.....

Winner: Steelers (the NFL Gods gave you a SERIOUS gift)

4pm:

San Diego at Detroit:

Another game with HUGE implications on the line (as do all the 4pm games)....the Chargers look ON FIRE now...must be the December push.... Winning 3 in a row, 38, 37 and 34 points in the last 3 games.... The Lions have a nice little two game winning streak (given it's an awful Viking team....and a mess of a Raider team)....but the Lions are getting healthy....Kevin Smith is running the ball and the Lions FINALLY have some balance....it still seems to me the Lions are too limited on offense, the Chargers got EVERYONE healthy...home field is nice, but put the Chargers in the Dome and that favors their WRs and depth there....plus I'm kinda rooting for Seattle to get the 6-seed in the NFC, so I need Detroit to lose, which won't be a shock here.....

Winner: San Diego

Game Quality: *** 1/2

Phily at Dallas:

Another huge game....if the Eagles lose they're OUT....the Cowboys December issues are raring their ugly head here....and now Felix Jones is hurt too...and the Eagles are healthy and pardoning any cheesy Dream Puns...but theirs is still alive....since my gut seems to be the reverse-jinx indicator of how the Cowboys do....I fully expect a meltdown and a total embarrassment and EPIC FAIL after the Jets win and the Cowboys to take this Christmas Gift in Green and TOTALLY BLOW IT and give it back to the Eagles and make next week not only a total mess but a playoff game......so with that in mind......

Winner: Dallas (reverse-jinx, FTW!!)

Game Quality: ** 3/4

49ers at Seattle:

Another game with a LOT on the line, and it's pretty simple for Seattle....Detroit has to lose both games (Seattle lost to Atlanta this year so they can not win out on the tie breaker...unless some three team cluster happens), and Seattle gotta win both....with SD and Green Bay on the Lions schedule this is possible....the Seahawks are VERY good at home....wait...they're 4-3 at home (losses to Atl, Cinci and WASHINGTON?? Wow)...well dammit they're SUPPOSED to be better at home....short week with the 49ers in their building....though, the Niners HAVE to have this game to win out to get the bye week (and more important that 2nd round game in THEIR building....despite my take that the bye is more a minus then a plus with "hot team" and "momentum" being the key to getting to the Super Bowl, the Niners would be road kill in New Orleans....crap I gotta change this pick....all the reasons I wanted to take Seattle are now in the toilet.....

Winner: 49ers

Sunday Dec 25:

Bears at Packers:

BIG game...the Bears desperate to stay in the playoffs no matter how much they DON'T deserve it....Calieb Hanie is now on the bench (unfair to him, look at the lack of WR talent on this team, and the loss of Greg Olson to Carolina KILLED Hanie in the passing game)....and a beat up but certainly ANGRY Packer team that needs to win one of the next two to lock up home field, the bye and the next middle finger to Favre's face (God I love those), I am a bit worried about the Packer passing game with no Greg Jennings...but the running game, and turnover happy defense is enough to beat up on the Bears, no matter what stiff they roll out as QB.....

Winner: Packers

Game Quality: **

Monday Dec 26:

Atlanta at New Orleans:

A true MAIN EVENT Monday Night game (now if only the Thursday Night games were tolerable eh), the Falcons are playing damn good football...least on offense...that's all the league wants right?? Atlanta is still spotty on D, and the Saints are 6-0 at home....that's a pretty good thing to be when you're trying for home field (well aside of the NFL Title game)....the Saints keep rolling here, but it won't be easy and a helluva lot of offense....hey did you know that Drew Brees is (again) pushing for Dan Marino's passing record? Two home games and "only" 550-some yards passing?? I'd bet on that....and keep an eye on this as he was one more deep ball away from owning the record already....something else to keep an eye on as teams clinch and playoff spots get all locked up....

Winner: Saints

Game Quality: ****

NFL Power Rankings, Week 15:

AFC:

1. New England....still flawed in so many aspects of the game, was nice to see Satan kick Jesus' ass for once!

2. Houston....yeah they lost, but I think that was a "free game" for them, and they get some people back now

3. Denver....what better time for Tebow Time then on the Eve of Jesus-Day?

4. Baltimore....San Diego thanks the Flacco Family for the gifts.....

5. Pittsburgh....Maybe Big Ben needs a trip to Cabo.....

NFC:

1. Green Bay....once is a slip-up.....

2. Saints....coming and coming HARD...needs the #2 seed BADLY.....

3. 49ers....the less injured Titan last week and it showed....also needs home-field for the playoffs....

4. Atlanta....gonna be a dangerous playoff opponent....

5. Dallas....if they ever get their sh!t together...oh BOY.....

I like it. I am stealing it.

I didn't realize there was another "secret football game" tonight.

Giants/Jets is going to be a great game.

It's not secret...it's being hidden for the protection of the league and the good of humanity :P

How embarrassing for the NFL that the steaming pile of crap that is the Jags got on prime-time TV 3 times and this is the Texans' only "primetime exposure" (iirc) all season.

lol, well the Jags were 8-8 last year and the Texans were 6-10. Determining prime-time appearances based on the previous year is tough in the parity-driven NFL. Especially when the former team cuts its starting QB days before the season starts :lol:

This game was supposed to be Manning vs. Schaub, a big game for the Colts at the very least and it winds up being Orlovsky vs. Yates in a nothing game.

Edited by NJDevs4978

.....and a nothing effort from the Texans.... hoooo boy way to mail it in after clinching....

and Peyton Manning must have done a victory lap after the Colts tied the Vikings and Rams with two wins in the Suck for Luck :P

.....and a nothing effort from the Texans.... hoooo boy way to mail it in after clinching....

and Peyton Manning must have done a victory lap after the Colts tied the Vikings and Rams with two wins in the Suck for Luck :P

The Rams don't need a QB. Depending on how the Vikings feel about Ponder they might not either. What it does do is open-up the trade possibilities (hello Washington, Dallas, San Francisco, Denver, Miami, and I also wouldn't put it past Woody and the Jets). Minnesota and St. Louis would love to get a Walker-Williams type deal where they rebuild with another team's draft picks.

And everyone's STILL assuming the Colts are getting Luck, or at least talking about it ad nauseum. Most don't realize they really are going to make all the discussion moot, especially with Jacksonville on the docket the last week.

Guess the Texans better use next week as a bye since they aren't getting one now...they've more or less used the last couple as a bye though it seems.

I don't think Miami takes this one Crash, especially in Foxborough, but I do think they could make it interesting for a while. As much as I rail against BB and NE's defense, they do find a way to minimize the damage, relative to the insane amount of yards they give up. Check out NE's PF right now, especially compared to the rest of the AFC...they've scored 78 more points than the next-highest team. They score and they score a lot, especially against lower-echelon teams...even ones who have been playing better, like Miami.

Next week I think NE absolutely smokes Buffalo...at least in the first half. If they have a big enough lead, they probably rest Brady and others.

And we say goodbye to a bunch of teams in the playoff hunt.

The NFC is basically down to 8 and a Green Bay win tomorrow brings it down to 7.

In the AFC it's a little more exciting. We have two open spots...one is going to one of the Broncos/Raiders, and the last wildcard gets a little complex. Basically:

-CIN clinches Wild Card with win vs BAL. If CIN loses, they'd need all three other teams to lose behind them as well to back in, as their conf record sucks.

-Jets clinch in one specific scenario: win + CIN/TEN losses + either OAK or DEN losing.

-TEN needs a win and some undetermined help. WIN + CIN loss + OAK win + DEN win + NYJ loss seems like the easiest scenario, though if they end up tied with the Jets they win some tiebreaker per NFL.com

-It's still possible for OAK to make it as a Wild Card. If all four of the wild card competing teams end up tied, OAK wins that tiebreaker. So CIN loss + Jets win + OAK win + DEN win + TEN win gets Oakland the #6.

I wish NFL.COM had a program that lets you plug in any number of teams and it would calculate the tiebreaker winners.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

Next week, I root for a Giants loss, with that douche Brandon Jacobs being the goat.

Was Jacobs really any douchier than Ryan's been this year?

I think Ryan IS a good NFL coach, but when when the constant yap-yap-yap approach fails (and let's face it, it did this season, though the Jets aren't completely dead yet), it makes the Ryans of the world look silly and clownish.

I understand why he took that tact again this season...it DID give the Jets more success that they had had in recent years, and it seemed logical to think that status quo would likely lead to progression, or at the very least, another playoff appearance.

Obviously, first and foremost, the Jets have to can Schottenheimer. Then they have to decide if Sanchez is their guy (I think he could be, but it's clear that it will be more as a game-manager/caretaker-type). Then, I think Ryan has to tone it down, not only because his act makes a pretty good X's and O's guy look bad, but because it also gets other teams fired up to play them.

Was Jacobs really any douchier than Ryan's been this year?

Absolutely, yes. What Jacobs did is just plain nasty. He personally attacked someone. Rex Ryan may be a buffoon at times, but he is not the despicable cretin that Jacobs is.

And I am not surprised that Ryan's unorthodox personality is coming under fire now that the Jets have faltered. I can't bear to listen to the radio show callers calling for Ryan to be fired. Ludicrous. But a new OC is in order because there is something wrong in the Sanchez- Schottenheimer relationship.

Absolutely, yes. What Jacobs did is just plain nasty. He personally attacked someone. Rex Ryan may be a buffoon at times, but he is not the despicable cretin that Jacobs is.

And I am not surprised that Ryan's unorthodox personality is coming under fire now that the Jets have faltered. I can't bear to listen to the radio show callers calling for Ryan to be fired. Ludicrous. But a new OC is in order because there is something wrong in the Sanchez- Schottenheimer relationship.

Agreed, no way he deserves to lose this job over this season. But Schotty has to go for sure (I can't see how he'd stay).

Ryan's personality almost ensures that some fans will turn on him once it appears that his act is no longer working, but I'm guessing the radio show callers screaming for Ryan's head constitute a small numbers of true Jets fans...I'm guessing a poll would show at least 80% of Jets fans would vote in favor of Ryan staying. I think his Jets career has a long way to go, but I think he's be better off toning it down, and getting back to basics...simply worrying about how to fix his team's ills. I have a funny feeling we're going to see a kinder, gentler Ryan next season...one that's less quotable, but more successful.

I would take Schott in a heartbeat if the Jets let him go. It is not his fault that the Jets front office has not provided adequate offensive line depth, has Sanchez try and break in a new contingent of WR's every year and miss judged the value of Fancea and Thomas Jones, while overrating Greene & LT. When Schott is not restrained by the front office or his head coaches he calls a great game.

Agreed, no way he deserves to lose this job over this season. But Schotty has to go for sure (I can't see how he'd stay).

Ryan's personality almost ensures that some fans will turn on him once it appears that his act is no longer working, but I'm guessing the radio show callers screaming for Ryan's head constitute a small numbers of true Jets fans...I'm guessing a poll would show at least 80% of Jets fans would vote in favor of Ryan staying. I think his Jets career has a long way to go, but I think he's be better off toning it down, and getting back to basics...simply worrying about how to fix his team's ills. I have a funny feeling we're going to see a kinder, gentler Ryan next season...one that's less quotable, but more successful.

He shouldn't change who he is, but he would be better off toning it down. I think what Manta says about the Jet management is fair, but I still think there's something fishy between Sanchez and Schottenheimer.

He shouldn't change who he is, but he would be better off toning it down. I think what Manta says about the Jet management is fair, but I still think there's something fishy between Sanchez and Schottenheimer.

I don't. The Jet Season unraveled in training camp when the Jets had to break in a WR who hadn't been in the real world or touched a football in several years. The main motivation seemed to be: He's n Ex-giant. Edwards had chemistry with Sanchez and Couchery was often a clutch third down guy. With an abbreviated training camp and injury plagued, and practice averse WR in Plax, the writing was on the wall. You can't blame that on Schott or Sanchez.

Edited by MantaRay

Side note: where was Jon Kitna yesterday after Romo went down?

He's on IR....hurt in practice....not that it matters, I like McGee better.....but also not like it matters.....this idiot team doesn't believe in depth at RB or QB....or showing up when it matters, or showing an OUNCE of guts......the best thing to happen to this team will be a 40-point beatdown Sunday Night.....

It's amazing enough that Drew Brees broke Marino's passing yards record....but it's sick that he did it with a full game still to go.....damn :blink:

I wish the Saints were in the AFC....Saints/Packers would be an awesome Super Bowl.....and seeing this game in frozen Lambeau ain't gonna be the same....

though it is a nice throwback to the old days of "the real Super Bowl is being played in the NFC Title Game" days