Official: Parise Signs 1-Year Deal

devilsrule33

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys time to begin rooting for the best case scenario:

Team is doing awesome in spite of Parise, who sucks for the first half of the season. Realizing that he is not immortal, panics and meets Lou's terms on a long term deal on 01/01/12, then becomes awesome with the weight of the contract year off him.

you have the causality wrong here. from 1999-2004, the devils drafted 3 worthwhile players - parise, zajac, martin. that's IT. 2005, we got bergfors who we traded, and fayne who looks like a keeper. but there hasn't been anyone else capable of taking a regular NHL shift. lou's also found some free agents in greene, clarkson, and oduya. these have turned out to be average-ish players.

but so you have an entire team getting older. the 2003 devils who were in the nhl in say, 2009, (gionta, gomez, elias, white, langenbrunner, niedermayer, brodeur, madden, pandolfo) were making a combined 40.6M on their contracts. would that team win a stanley cup? or even compete for one? i don't really think so. plus you have to pay guys right away now - parise was making 3.125M after his 2nd year in the NHL.

without many entry-level contracts, or promising young players, lou has had to dip into the free agent pool. each year he seems to sacrifice dollars for years - he'll only slightly overpay a player (underpaying compared to market price), but he'll give them one or two many years. this is something he's had to do, otherwise the team will have giant holes in it. there was paul martin and david hale, and then there was andy greene, and now there's taormina and fayne. but martin and hale came up in 04, greene in 08, taormina and fayne in 2011. that's a long time to go between rookie defensemen.

but now he doesn't have to do that. this year he's signed 0 important players off the free agent market. next year he might sign 0 - just slide larsson into colin white's spot.

but this team is going somewhere. this team hasn't had this many promising young players since 2000. even if it doesn't win a round next year, it's going somewhere.

You can blame it on the draft... and the acquisition have been middling as well. soo..... how is Lou not accountable for that? I am putting words in your mouth - you never said he wasn't. You did say the causality was wrong - yet I have no problem with anyone surmising the lockout ruined Lou's former growth and acquisition strategy.

I'd even venture to say since the lockout the acquisition field has been leveled, teams who would have poured all their time and $$ into negotiating a stupid superstar acquisition have had to go looking for equally as talented "lesser" players - knowing they didn't have the cap space to load the roster -- as if that ever worked anyhow?

Other GMs now had to look more closely at all their options not put all their money on a horse only one team could win. So sure Lou never went for the big guns -- he always had the time and space to find the hidden gems. Well now the world is panning for gold and he got screwed. Why not just admit that. It's not his lack of skill or change in tactics -- it's that more people entered his pool instead of messing around in a huge pool they had no business even being in. Other GMs figured out how to take our fish. It's just the way it is - I have no trouble with that. Things are evening out now. It's to be expected. I think it's on the upswing -- but I can't deny this really looks like it has been Lou's learning curve we've been dealing with the past few years. He underestimated the rest of the league - but worked through it as best as he could.. or he overestimated his scouting team :noclue:

I know - :offtopic: SO.. back tot he topic - I think things with Zach will be fine. I'd have been scratchign my head a LOT more if they had worked out a long-term deal. I also think it has nothing to do with Parise wanting out. If it does then fuh gawd's sake let d'boy go! You dont want a guy liek that in your locker room.

For the record - It's not Zach :rolleyes::doh1::argh:

Edited by Pepperkorn

Glad to see Parise sign the one year deal for $6M. Now we have to see Parise play and hope he is the Parise of old with his surgically repaired knee. I have no doubts that Parise will do well this season. Also have no doubts that he will get his longterm contract extension after January. Lou is not stupid and he knows Parise has said and wants to be here in new Jersey for the rest of his career. So not going to worry because Parise will get his longterm contract extension way before July 1st and the TDL. Lou knows what he has to get it done and now with a lot of money under the salary cap Parise will be taken care of. Too many fans are just worrying over nothing right now. Parise is re-signed and very happy he is going to be back for this season.

Ive been way more calm since i saw that it was probably due to financial problems that lou went for the 1 year thing... It explains why they havent tried to get a deal done until last minute.

But... Why is everyone so calm and confident now that we will sign him long-term next season and all? Are we SURE that the shares will be sold and that were gonna be solid financially and everything? Until then its still looking pretty bad... If the moves we saw yesterday were really to save us hard money and not to prepare a deal well were in more trouble than we may think....

Ive been way more calm since i saw that it was probably due to financial problems that lou went for the 1 year thing... It explains why they havent tried to get a deal done until last minute.

But... Why is everyone so calm and confident now that we will sign him long-term next season and all? Are we SURE that the shares will be sold and that were gonna be solid financially and everything? Until then its still looking pretty bad... If the moves we saw yesterday were really to save us hard money and not to prepare a deal well were in more trouble than we may think....

Hot herbal tea does wonders for the nerves....

But seriously, we've seen (3) major moves happen within the last 7 days:

1.) Rolston Trade (frees up $3M maybe more)

2.) Parise signs ($6M 1yr)

3.) White/Hunter Waived (potential buyouts)

This is a lot of activity. I think it unlikely that if LL knew he was going to have to save money for money's sake he would have waited until now to do these deals. Why not waive White weeks ago? Why not sign ZP weeks ago for that price. He really has no idea yet what he's truly dealing with relative to rookie D-men yet until we get to a true camp to entrust the blueline to highly-touted prospects who have never seen 20 minutes a night.

I believe that a move is afoot. Its consistent with the message LL has been sending: "Add but first subtract", "Address the mobility of the defense...". I also believe the low one-year deal was to allow space to accomodate this move WHILE allowing a better evaluation of ZP, his health,.... and for ZP to assess his own situation.

Without getting too preachy - this 21st century TWITTER/Instant Download/Instant Gratification mentality has taught people "I need to know NOW!" and has lessened our patience as a generation I believe as is evident by a lot of this internet "outrage". We all need to relax.

But that aside, I'm giving Lou at least 2 weeks to see what his plan is.

I refuse to believe he's ending his GM Career and tenure trusting the franchise to a group of rookie defensman (along with a concussion victim), while Parise stamps a plane ticket for LA/MIN/wherever .... while Lou himself rides off into the sunset with his HF career tarnished by allowing his beloved franchise to sink like the Titanic.

Can we at least wait until this plays out to analyze LL's plan?

Edited by DevilinLA

the devils no longer have anything to trade for a defenseman who's worthwhile. the only thing they have left is urbom.

why wait until now with ZP? they waited until the last minute before briefs had to be exchanged detailing what was to be said in arbitration (had zach not signed that deal, those briefs would have been exchanged on monday, hat tip to a commenter on ILWT).

why wait until now with white? you have two buyout periods - one in june, after the draft and before free agency, and one that exists 48 hours after an arbitration award or the settlement of an arbitration case. lou tried to trade white and couldn't find any takers (which i just can't believe).

Edited by Triumph

I know it may be unrealistic to say but maybe money is not the driving force behind ZP's decision to stay in NJ. I recognize that there are major external factors, especially with agents wanting their cut, the NHLP wanting the max contract, and ZP wanting to feel respected. Now that being said, could the cultural change in the room be as big a factor as any? The room has taken on the feel of the Swedish Elite League. With the departures of fellow Americans like Langs,Rolston, Martin, Gionta, Mottau and Gomez, I feel that he may be missing that element. Look, ask any player and they will say the friendships and realationships off the ice directly effect how well the team does on the ice. Hockey played at all levels is based on having fun. If ZP feels the current roster isn't living up to a good time, then I think this may be the driving factor behind his departure, especially with long time fixtures like Whitey gone and possibly Brodeur soon. If any of you guys have foreign friends you know just how big the cultural differences are, let alone the language barrier, especialy if half the room is speaking Swedish. So, as silly as it sounds, if any moves are to be made, I'd look for an American to be added or for ZP to find a team that can offer what he is looking for.

I know it may be unrealistic to say but maybe money is not the driving force behind ZP's decision to stay in NJ. I recognize that there are major external factors, especially with agents wanting their cut, the NHLP wanting the max contract, and ZP wanting to feel respected. Now that being said, could the cultural change in the room be as big a factor as any? The room has taken on the feel of the Swedish Elite League. With the departures of fellow Americans like Langs,Rolston, Martin, Gionta, Mottau and Gomez, I feel that he may be missing that element. Look, ask any player and they will say the friendships and realationships off the ice directly effect how well the team does on the ice. Hockey played at all levels is based on having fun. If ZP feels the current roster isn't living up to a good time, then I think this may be the driving factor behind his departure, especially with long time fixtures like Whitey gone and possibly Brodeur soon. If any of you guys have foreign friends you know just how big the cultural differences are, let alone the language barrier, especialy if half the room is speaking Swedish. So, as silly as it sounds, if any moves are to be made, I'd look for an American to be added or for ZP to find a team that can offer what he is looking for.

Zajac is still there and most Swedes speak perfect english. I think the Devils are the one team you can't accuse of "discriminating against Americans"