Martin Brodeur Final (?) Game Thread

devilsrule33

Not a game thread per say, but just a thread to honour and celebrate an absolute legend in Martin Brodeur. I've seen Anaheim fans planning special things for Teemu Selanne tomorrow (standing ovations for every shift in the 3rd period). I saw Edmonton do some incredible things for Ryan Smyth tonight including this nice gesture by the Canucks at the end of the game...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USUzhpii-bg

I remember the final NHL game for Wayne Gretzky too.

Well apologies to Teemu and Ryan and even The Great One, but you all don't mean half as much to those organizations as Marty Brodeur does to the Devils. Tomorrow, hopefully, is just a great night to honour a fvcking legend....the greatest New Jersey Devil and one of the greatest goalies in NHL history.

"Thank You Marty"

"Marty's Better"

"Greatest Ever"

For anyone's going, cheers him all game long. I mean chants from the drop of the puck until the final buzzer. I'm not sure how it works at The Rock, but if the Diablos run the cheers, hopefully they can make sure it happens.

It was a tough season, but tomorrow should be about celebrating everything else....the greatest Devil of all-time.

Let this thread be all positive and feel free to add anything you feel necessary.

post-30-0-68493400-1397370417_thumb.png

Edited by devilsrule33

oh god, waterworks from Ryan Smyth again

Brodeur will get the royal treatment tomorrow. It's just strange because unlike Smyth, Selanne, and Gretzky this will likely not be Brodeurs last game

Next year should be his jersey retirement. Yet he will likely be here in another jersey.

oh god, waterworks from Ryan Smyth again

Brodeur will get the royal treatment tomorrow. It's just strange because unlike Smyth, Selanne, and Gretzky this will likely not be Brodeurs last game

Next year should be his jersey retirement. Yet he will likely be here in another jersey.

That video for Smyth was a little too big for this thread. I'll edit it now, so it doesn't take center stage. A nice moment nonetheless.

Edited by devilsrule33

If the Devils don't do anything big today, that may mean he's coming back.  Not going to delve any more in that scenario and what it could mean, as this is a thread about positivity. 

But yeah, keep the cheers going all game long, and if anyone there holds any of what transpired this season against him, hopefully they put all of that aside for a few hours, and remember the many good times. 

At any rate, I'm only stating the obvious here, but damn, what a prime he had.  Basically lasted through the end of the 2009-10 season.  In 2010-11 and 2011-12, he still enjoyed extended stretches of in his prime play.  Even as bad as the last two seasons were, they could've been worse...he went 31-23-13 with a .901 save%.  At least it never got to be Miikka Kiprusoff or Johan Hedberg final-season bad, which would have been sad and painful to watch.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

If the Devils don't do anything big today, that may mean he's coming back.  Not going to delve any more in that scenario and what it could mean, as this is a thread about positivity. 

But yeah, keep the cheers going all game long, and if anyone there holds any of what transpired this season against him, hopefully they put all of that aside for a few hours, and remember the many good times. 

At any rate, I'm only stating the obvious here, but damn, what a prime he had.  Basically lasted through the end of the 2009-10 season.  In 2010-11 and 2011-12, he still enjoyed extended stretches of in his prime play.  Even as bad as the last two seasons were, they could've been worse...he went 31-23-13 with a .901 save%.  At least it never got to be Miikka Kiprusoff or Johan Hedberg final-season bad, which would have been sad and painful to watch.

The Devils can't really 'do' anything since:

A) It's not entirely their decision that he comes back even if they want him back...and doing something as if it's his last game means you're pretty much admitting he's not going to be back, which won't go over well with the segment of the fanbase that already thinks we're shoving him out the door

B) He hasn't exactly announced it'll be his last game ahead of time like Jeter or Rivera

It'll be entirely organic...aside from maybe a couple of scripted chants from the Diablos.  I'm sure Marty'll be interviewed on the ice at the end of the game too, even if we lose MSG's gotta make an exception in this case.

Standing ovation and chants at 30 minutes of the game?

Now THAT's a nice idea.

Well said Mr. Brooks:

This is the day to savor the memories. This is the day on which an era will end. Jeter didn’t play here for 20 years, DiMaggio didn’t, Mantle couldn’t and neither could LT. Leetch didn’t, Namath couldn’t and Reed and Frazier didn’t come close.

Twenty years for Brodeur.

It doesn’t matter if he plays somewhere else next season. His career can neither be diminished nor tarnished. It’s in the record books, and it’s in the three Stanley Cup banners that hang at The Rock.

For so many years, 16W on The Turnpike was the Exit of Champions. Today in Newark, this is the Exit of a Champion. Today is not about save percentages, or Cory Schneider, or even about Brodeur raging against the dying of the light the way he has the last month or two. Today is not about anything other than celebrating an icon. Today, with Terreri as New Jersey’s goaltending coach, it is Brodeur for the Devils against the Bruins

http://nypost.com/2014/04/12/lets-party-for-marty/

Edited by devilsrule33

The Bruins aren't playing anyone...they recalled four guys from the minors, Bergeron's not going to play, neither is Chara or Rask in all likelihood.

They locked up the President's Trophy yesterday, no reason for them not to empty the bench and give the guys they can't sit reduced minutes.

Well said by Larry Brooks.

I don't suspect Marty thinks its his last game, and I don't expect a big send off as a result.

He helped put NJ on the Hockey Map. No small task.

It may not be his last game in the NHL, but its likely his last game as a Devil. So it will probably have a send-off type of atmosphere.

Damn it, I have a hockey game at 6 tonight so I'll have to miss the last ten minutes and any potential send off

As painful as it's been the last 2 years with Marty, the guy gave us two decades of gold.  Between memorable runs like 1995, 2000, 2003 and 2012, so many memories were made.  Not to mention he willed the Devils into the playoffs for the first couple of post lockout (2005) years.  The fact that he has every meaningful goalie record and that he did it in New Jersey is special. Even if he plays 40 games in another jersey, it does not take away from what he did here....Brooks is right about that. 

He was, is and always will be the New Jersey Devils.

Damn it, I have a hockey game at 6 tonight so I'll have to miss the last ten minutes and any potential send off

As painful as it's been the last 2 years with Marty, the guy gave us two decades of gold.  Between memorable runs like 1995, 2000, 2003 and 2012, so many memories were made.  Not to mention he willed the Devils into the playoffs for the first couple of post lockout (2005) years.  The fact that he has every meaningful goalie record and that he did it in New Jersey is special. Even if he plays 40 games in another jersey, it does not take away from what he did here....Brooks is right about that. 

He was, is and always will be the New Jersey Devils.

I have tickets but a championship mens league game at 550.

I am torn.

I have tickets but a championship mens league game at 550.

I am torn.

Years from now, will you tell your kids/grankids about Marty's last game as a Devil and how you were there, or will you tell them about the random men's league game you played in in April of 2014? You decide brother. :P

Years from now, will you tell your kids/grankids about Marty's last game as a Devil and how you were there, or will you tell them about the random men's league game you played in in April of 2014? You decide brother. :P

I dunno, for me I have seen Marty play dozens of times. I don't know that its THAT big of a deal. Or even if its his last game as a Devil of course.

I dunno, for me I have seen Marty play dozens of times. I don't know that its THAT big of a deal. Or even if its his last game as a Devil of course.

True... But if it turns out not to be, you can tell your kids/grandkids how you saw the Devils battle the Providence Bruins to end the sh!tbag 2014 season live and in-person. :P

I think brodeur will play (or is planning on playing) next season as he says hes getting new pads and they're all white. Now the big question is who is going to want a 42 year old goalie for 1 season. 

maybe hell come to his senses and either retire, or just stay but as a backup and get his 700th with us. (already at 687)