New York Mets Offseason Thread

Devils Pride 26

I noticed Darren Oliver is available, and he was great for us in 2006 and is lefty. Maybe we can look at this guy to replace Schowenweis? He can also pitch 2 innings.

Ayala we can keep as a 7th inning guy. He had 4 very good years in a row before this

Edited by '7'

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed Darren Oliver is available, and he was great for us in 2006 and is lefty. Maybe we can look at this guy to replace Schowenweis? He can also pitch 2 innings.

Ayala we can keep as a 7th inning guy. He had 4 very good years in a row before this

Bringing back Ayala is not bad at all, have to get Oliver.. but hes 37, so you cant go nuts with a contract.. I would go 2 years

Hes having a strong year, Oliver is

Edited by nmigliore

Oliver was great for the mets in 2006 and hated to see him leave. I would like to get him back and get K-Rod while we are there with the Angels. :P Not so sure on Ayala right now. He was not doing all that well in the last two weeks of the season when the Mets needed him most. Schoeneweis and Heilman are definitely gone or this organization is just plain stupid! Both have to go!

Mike and others are still lamenting how David Wright fades down the stretch. Wright's a .309 hitter for his career, so I'd expect that he'd be hitting well below that, or doing little else the way these geniuses make it sound. But check out his numbers (especially the last three seasons) from September 1 on:

2004: 117 AB, 17 R, 36 H, 5 2B, 1 3B, 7 HR, 19 RBI, 8 BB, 20 K, 5/5 SB, .352 OBP, .538 SLG, .308 AVG

2005: 112 AB, 14 R, 31 H, 7 2B, 0 3B, 6 HR, 19 RBI, 12 BB, 25 K, 1/1 SB, .357 OBP, .500 SLG, .277 AVG

2006: 89 AB, 11 R, 33 H, 8 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 14 RBI, 9 BB, 10 K, 4/5 SB, .428 OBP, .550 SLG, .371 AVG

2007: 108 AB, 21 R, 38 H, 9 2B, 0 3B, 6 HR, 20 RBI, 14 BB, 10 K, 4/5 SB, .432 OBP, .602 SLG, .352 AVG

2008: 97 AB, 19 R, 33 H, 5 2B, 0 3B, 6 HR, 21 RBI, 13 BB, 23 K, 1/1 SB, .416, .577 SLG, .340 AVG

I'm not saying he's not above criticism, and he hasn't always performed in the clutch like we all want. But I wish some of these boneheads who are killing this guy and calling for his being traded would at least take the time to look up his numbers before spouting nonsense that flat-out isn't true.

He did have a poor playoff in 2006: 37 AB, 3 R, 8 H, 3 2B, 0 3B, 1 HR, 6 RBI, 5 BB, 8 K, 0/0 SB, .310 OBP, .378, SLG, .216 BA. But I'm not going to write him off as a poor playoff performer based on one playoff year.

david wright is a star - a big, bright shining star. Is this sarcasm or does my meter need to be calibrated?

don't give him the same treatment philadelphia gave mike schmidt, or that new york currently gives alex rodriguez. it's unfair. even the best hitters only get on base around 40-42% of the time.

The fans love Wright...he has two things going for him that Schmidt didn't and A-Rod doesn't: 1) He doesn't play in a market inhabitated by the most miserable sportsfans ever in Philly, and 2) He's far more likable than A-Rod ever will be. As good as A-Rod is, he has a way of saying the wrong thing and irking everyone around him. It's not all fair, but for a variety of reasons there's always guys fans take to more than others, regardless of performance.

When Fatso was spouting his stupidity callers left and right were disagreeing with him, and the only ones who begrudgingly agreed said that they'd only consider trading Wright if what was coming back was overwhelming. Of course now Fatso is saying you can't rule out trading Wright under that cirumstance (incredible return)...but a few days ago he was basically advocating getting rid of him.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

nah it was just a misplaced boogie nights reference.

i mean, yeah, throw out 600 ABs, the real key is how wright does in the 10 ABs we arbitrarily select.

Oh man great movie...one of my faves. Can't believe I missed the reference.

Jerry Manuel has yet to accept a contract.

Good, hopefully he doesn't because Bobby V would be "interested" in managing the Mets again...

So - so far so good.. hopefully another team hooks Manuel so we can get Bobby V who actually isn't afraid to show passion instead of laughing in the postgame as if the loss is just another loss.

If this team ends up signing Jerry over Bobby V, mark down a check MINUS for 'offseason goals' to start

Edited by nmigliore

Jerry Manuel has yet to accept a contract.

Good, hopefully he doesn't because Bobby V would be "interested" in managing the Mets again...

So - so far so good.. hopefully another team hooks Manuel so we can get Bobby V who actually isn't afraid to show passion instead of laughing in the postgame as if the loss is just another loss.

If this team ends up signing Jerry over Bobby V, mark down a check MINUS for 'offseason goals' to start

Careful what you wish for nmig. Bobby V's teams had a way of playing tight and collapsing down the stretch as well (if Brad Klontz doesn't throw that wild pitch (I was there for that one), and the Mets don't win that playoff game in Cincy, 1999 would have been seen as a major disaster). The team also struggled in '97 and '98 down the stretch. Bobby V was also a bit of a nutcase and a loose cannon as well (who could forget the "disguise" he donned to sneak back into the dugout after being ejected?).

Did he do some good things while he was here? Yes he did. But those who are clamoring for Bobby V are glorifying him and not remembering that it wasn't all roses and sunshine with him. IN many ways it would be like starting over, but for me it's a "been there and done that" situation.

I think you're not really being fair with Manuel either, and reading too much into his postgame. I think he's a passionate manager for sure, and I think he cares greatly. I want to see him come back.

Well its official.

According to John Heyman of SI.com, the Mets have agreed to terms with Jerry Manuel. Manuel will sign a two-year contract with a club option for 2011.

Im fine with it.. I dont have an issue with Jerry.. i just thought we could use a more firey manager. But then again he does get tossed alot..

Edited by nmigliore

The mets should have executed a great purge and fired omar, jerry, and cleaned house for the move to citi.

When your closer one day after finding out he has to get tommy john surgery says "i've pitched my last game for the mets" there's something fundamentally wrong with the foundation of your baseball team and clubhouse.

The mets should have executed a great purge and fired omar, jerry, and cleaned house for the move to citi.

When your closer one day after finding out he has to get tommy john surgery says "i've pitched my last game for the mets" there's something fundamentally wrong with the foundation of your baseball team and clubhouse.

Country Time hated New York City. Maybe if there were more NASCAR events in the area he would've liked it better. I don't think it was a secret that he didn't like it around the Mets or NYC, and that happens sometimes.

As for Omar - he's not good. But he's not terrible, and it's clear that since Mets' ownership is not going to hire a sabermetrics GM, Omar Minaya is basically the best of a bad bunch.

By the way, any thoughts on K-Rod's inherent clutchness?

Edited by Triumph

Metsblog had something about Mets maybe taking offers for Beltran and a "Cano-Kennedy for Beltran" deal.. that would be laughable, at best. Cano is a foolish 2B who doesn't know how to play the game and doesn't care to play the game.. Ill take a sloppy Murphy at 2B or a gamer like Hudson.. Kennedy has yet to impress anyone at the major league level

Edited by nmigliore

• 2 weeks later...

Mets Announce 2009 Coaches

1B - unfilled [last year: Oberkfell]

3B - Razor Shines (another from the Phils, this one used was the Single-A manager for them) [last year: Aguayo]

Bullpen - Randy Niemann [last year: Conti]

Hitting - HoJo [last year: HoJo]

Pitching - Warthen [last year: Warthen]

Bench - Sandy Sr. [last year: Sandy Sr.]

-Sandy Jr. will also be back.. I'd assume as another bullpen coach (?)

-Guy Conti, Luis Aguayo and first base coach Ken Oberkfell will be reassigned within the organization.

BTW, here is a pic of Razor: zPezZKCN.jpg

Edited by nmigliore

Mets Sign Tatis to 1-year Deal

FLUSHING, N.Y., October 30, 2008 -- Fernando Tatis, who was named the National League Comeback Player-of-the-Year this season, today signed a one-year contract with the New York Mets. Terms were not disclosed.

Tatis, 33, who hit .297 with 16 doubles, one triple, 11 home runs and 47 RBI for the Mets separated his right shoulder diving for a double by Nationals' pitcher Odalis Perez in the fifth inning on September 16th at Washington. Fernando underwent an MRI the next day and the test revealed a Grade 3 shoulder separation.

"I feel fine now," said Tatis, whose contract was selected from New Orleans (AAA) of the Pacific Coast League on May 13th. "I didn't need surgery and I will be ready to go in the spring."

For the Mets, Tatis made 35 starts in rightfield, 28 in leftfield, two at third base and one at first base.

"Fernando got so many key hits for us last year," said Mets' General Manager Omar Minaya. "Not having him the last few weeks of the season certainly hurt. His versatility certainly makes us a better team."

In 2008, Fernando hit .392 (29-74) with men in scoring position. He also compiled a .311 mark (33-106) against lefthanded pitching.

Tatis's Sporting News Comeback Player-of-the-Year Award was voted on by 314 current major league players, 18 managers and 41 General Managers and Assistant General Managers.

-Ill take it. Our bench was awful last year, this is a plus to resign Fernando-mania. This also means they wont be giving Tatis the starter job, which im happy about.. hes a bench player, you cannot expect to stick him in LF and have him be as productive as last year. All I hope is that this doesn't turn out to be Marlon Anderson #2.. remember he was tremendous as a pinch-hitter/bench guy in 2007, but was awful in 2008.

Edited by nmigliore

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2008/10/m...delgados_o.html

The Mets have picked up Carlos Delgado's $12 million option for 2009, the team announced today.

Delgado, 36, batted .271 this season, with 38 HR and 115 RBI. After a slow start his strong second half made picking up the option an easy decision for the Mets.

is Delgaldo worth 12 million?............

is Delgaldo worth 12 million?............

He is if he keeps playing at the level he was during the second half of the season. Too bad it wasn't enough to get us over the finish line....the finish line into the postseason, that is.

We need Church at 100% as well, I really hope he can find his form again because he was my favorite new pick up last year before he got hurt.