NFL PLAYOFFS!

CRASHER

Well the sweet regular season is over (and was there a wilder and crazier one then that?? I can’t remember one….)….but still we got 11 teams to kill off before someone hoists the Super Bowl Trophy and tries to make it as cool as the Stanley Cup!!! Since I could preview the damn games in about 15 minutes and what fun is that, lets add a little filler….and controversy to the playoff preview and also let me give my two cents on who should win what award in the NFL as well!! Let the chest-thumping begin!!! And let us not forget the new “in the interest of fairness” OT rules, because God Forbid the team that doesn’t get the ball first has to play defense…. Wah!

And oh yeah before I start to the “OH MY GOD IT’S UNFAIR THAT THE 7-9 TEAM MADE THE PLAYOFFS AND HOSTED A HOME GAME” idiots….1. you deserve this for 4 divisions,. The odds one will suck is HIGH, so deal with it….and if you re-seeded at the playoffs started…ALL FOUR GAMES would be in different venues…. Just man up and accept Seattle is dead (but if Seattle ever beat the Champs your argument would be worthless anyway… hhhmmmmm)

Saturday January 8th:

4pm:

Saints at Seattle:

(gee was ANYONE shocked that the NFL buried this game in the worst spot possible??)

How the Saints can win:

Balance…. Drew Brees is as good as anyone in the NFL and I’ll fight you to the death on that one (though I shouldn’t have to cause you’re an idiot if you don’t see it), Reggie Bush HAS to be a “carry the mail” back now… Ivory and Thomas are out for the playoffs and they might as well put Laflamme in the backfield cause he’s a better RB in a Julius Jones jersey then the original …the Saints have all sorts of weapons on offense that can beat you….a good front four and turnover-happy defense (look how they shut down Atlanta a few weeks ago)….just look at the match-ups…. The Saints are better then Seattle everywhere but maybe the kicker….but when Seattle loses, they lose so big even having the Cowboys kicker missing every extra point under the Sun won’t matter….

How Seattle can win:

….Sabotage?? Videotape?? Borrowing players from the rest of the NFC West to make a decent team?? Well the 12th man can bring the noise and the havoc, but Drew Brees has been there and done that already….Maybe IF Matt Hasselbeck plays and plays out of his mind (he has taken this team to a Super Bowl before)….the defense is scrappy and solid, but ….yeah…NO…. you might wanna try cutting the brake-lines on the Saints bus there kids…..

What will happen?

If you can read on an above-5th Grade level you know the answer to this….this one’s a gimmie….Saints and BIG, running game be damned this week

8pm:

Jets at Colts:

An AFC Title game rematch in the 1st Round this year….these two teams haven’t seen each other since that epic day either, though a LOT has changed since then…but is it enough?

How the Jets can win:

Perhaps this is the year Tomlinson actually ELEVATES himself in the playoffs??? I’m not too sure on that (he’s got a long body of work from San Diego that says he won’t…yeah yeah the Jet line is better, but you wanna compare Nacho to Brees and Rivers?? I certainly DON’T, not to mention the SD receivers were better, though the play calling may be a push…heh), Greene too can make some plays in the running game, as well as Smith in the “we don’t dare call it the Wildcat cause then we sound like we ripped off the Dolphins and that will get you killed in Florham Park”…so yeah, call it what you want….it’s still effective (though the fad of it is finally wearing down), the corners should be good enough to shut down Reggie Wayne and whoever, the Colts throw in the other WR spot….Plus it IS Manning in the playoffs and we all know that’s not regular season Peyton for SURE…..

How the Colts can win:

As much as we can make mention of Manning in the playoffs…. Sanchez can scare you in a PRE-Season still….and Holmes and Edwards are sill prone to the big drop as much as the big play….the Jets don’t cover the middle of the field well that means a big day for the back and Tamme underneath, which may loosen things up on the corners enough for Wayne, if the Colts can get a lead and make the Jets not be the Jets, they can play to their strengths of pass rush and game control, and stick their big toe in the one place Rexy don’t want it to go!

What will happen?

The QB match-up is hard to look past, so is the fact that the last time the Colts didn’t have a bye week they won a Super Bowl, and the Jets have a VERY bad habit of getting too aggressive late in the game when they’re trying to put someone away (how many 3rd and Long’s did they have under 3:00 where they called a rollout play and had an incomplete…better question, how many WORKED?)….The Jets are gonna make one mistake too many and Manning’s gonna pounce on it (then lose NEXT week and go back to .500 in the playoffs anyway…heh!)

Sunday January 9th:

1pm:

Ravens at Chiefs:

Oh boy…. The two biggest mouths I know going at it…. Manta and Chiefs Guy!! (if you’ve never seen a football Sunday of me sparring with Chiefs Guy, then you ain’t lived life!)...one team on the rise and one team trying to shift from defense to offense, and hoping the old vets got one more run in em.....

How the Ravens can win:

MANTA-VISION.....ON!!! Experience….they got it, they’ve been there…. They know what it takes to win in this game, even on the road, the defense is getting old and WAY overrated (it’s good but it’s not a brick wall like it was in their prime), they can run the ball, control the lock and unleash POSSESSION RECEIVERS OF DOOM (damn that’s catchy) and I’d call the QB play a push, the Ravens defense does have playmakers that can make that “one play difference”….as long as the Ravens can protect Flacco (and there’s a reason they’ve been running the ball like it’s going out of style) the Ravens should be ok……

How the Chiefs can win:

Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones….these guys can run the ball on ANYONE…Matt Cassel has been better then I want to give him credit for, and he has decent weapons in Bowe, the TE, and the two backs (hey they’re not the list of NFL “legends” the Ravens have, but who can contain that bunch of hall of fame possession guys….maybe a wheelchair squad?? :P )…..don’t sell short the power of the ROAR of that crowd in Arrowhead, that places in the 90s was a FEARSOME place to play, and I think it will be again on Sunday…..

What will happen?

This won’t be over in the first quarter that’s for DAMN sure (unless one team decides not to show up….), but I’m leaning on youth and home-field over age and experience here, I think people are taking the Chiefs too lightly ‘cause they’re in the AFC West, and I question the Ravens ability to shut down a legit big time offense, like the Chiefs have….and here’s a fun fact… no NFL team has lost 7 playoff games in a row…. The Chiefs have lost their last six……

430pm:

Packers at Eagles:

(I do like how the games progress and get better and better and ended up set-up from worst to first in order this week…..)

How the Packers can win:

The Packers are a scary team, they can go big play for big play with the Eagles on offense AND defense… and Mike Vick for all he is, he’s still NOT the most accurate QB on the planet and might still be hobbling around on a bad wheel there, which is gonna make him a lil more vulnerable to the around the edge pass rush then normal…. A-Rod’s been there before, but he hasn’t “done it” yet….and I think the Packers have a bit less pressure on them then the Eagles do….and don’t forget, the Packers are WHY Kevin Kolb got RKO’ed and the Michael Vick era BEGAN…. There’s no reason to think they can’t do it again….

How the Eagles can win:

Unlike the Packers, the Eagles can throw out a balanced offense and run the ball with McCoy and Harrison too, Jackson can kill you in special teams as well, and home field gotta count for something right? And the defense is still as attack and blitz-happy as anyone! Solid kicking game and home field helps too.....

What will happen?

This one’s gonna come down to who makes the biggest play late in the game to either seal the deal or re-claim the lead, I really think it’s the Packers’ year this year (yes I’m revealing a Super Bowl pick, and you should be able to guess one from below later…)

And well you can’t win the Super Bowl losing here… much like last year’s Packer game in Arizona, this will be high scoring… but this year the Packers don’t get screwed by a HIDEOUS call in Overtime!!

NFL Regular Season Awards!

Defensive Rookie of the Year:

Ndamukong Suh, Lions: good Christ may I NEVER have to type that name again!!

49 tackles, 10 sacks…an INT, and added a dimension and a fear-factor never seen before on a Lions pass rush (not that I can remember at least)….the Lions are slowly building a front four in the old NY Giants mold to terrorize QBs and this kid is a big reason why!

Offensive Rookie of the Year:

Sam Bradford, St. Louis: Again like Su, no one else even comes CLOSE to this one….Bradford took a 2-14 team with receivers that would get laughed off the Rutgers University Campus and got them 10 points from a playoff spot….that’s pretty special… now all thre pressure in the world is gonna be on him to repeat and improve the effort….but damn a rookie QB worth the money?? Hot sh!t! (I’d also give him the full ROY award too)

Comeback of the Year:

Mike Williams, Sea: Picked up at a burger flipping shack somewhere and given what was supposed to be one chance too many, he found a way to stick on a team (this is the same team that let TJ Whos-yo-Mamma and Deion Branch go mind you) and not only stick but become a key weapon for them! 65 catches 751 yards and 2 TDs, practically doubling his CAREER stats from the 4 years before….not bad for a guy asking you if you wanted fries with that about 7 months ago!!

(honorable mention: Darren McFadden, OAK…also doubled his output from the last two years COMBINED and went from BUST to MUST in the process)

** no I did NOT consider Vick for this award, he played last year AND to be honest coming back from prison time doesn’t impress me as much as what the other guys did**

The Owen Hart Award for falling from grace faster then Owen fell from the ceiling!

Randy Moss, NE/Min/Ten:….Maybe he should have tried to make all his catches of the one handed-variety over the shoulder of Revis (who was right you ARE a slouch!), went from the most dangerous deep threat in the league to the NFL’s highest paid decoy faster then you can say, “oh wait the harness came lose…oh NO Owen….”….now watch next year he might be in the award above…. But I DOUBT IT…better go ask Mike Williams about them burger joints!!

Offensive Player of the Year:

Phillip Rivers, SD: Yeah his stats and his team fell off late…but for a guy who was without his LT, any and ALL his WRs at times, no Gates, a spotty run game with a disappointing Ryan Matthews and still had 4700 yards, completed 66% of his passes and as well had 30 TD to only 13 INT…yeah that’s pretty good…will get overlooked by most because he’s a disciple of the Lord of No Rings, but the things this kid has done in his career despite the people around him….pretty damn impressive!!!

(Honorable mentions: Arian Foster, Hou; Maurice Jones-Drew, Jax; Roddy White, Atl)

Defensive Player of the Year:

This one’s a bit tough, usually there is a clear-cut guy….so you look at some numbers…the sack leader? It’s Ware…damned if I give a Cowboy ANYTHING this year…INT’s…Ed Reed… he played like half the year….tackles…Jerod Mayo….but he only had 2 sacks…and not much else…then I saw Clay Matthews…..13.5 sacks, 5 passes defended, an INT and 2 forced fumbles, factored in he’s a key part on elite defense, and DIDN’T get fined half a bazillion dollars by the NFL this year, so that’s gotta be a PLUS this year!

(Honorable mentions: Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed (missed too many games), James Harrison (if this award PAID anything I’d give it to him to help with those absurd fines he got for TACKLING people this year…))

Fantasy Football Player of the Year:

Michael Vick, Phi: Was anyone even CLOSE to the impact on fantasy football CHAMPIONSHIP rosters tha Vick was?? Good luck finding him! Alright so MAYBE I added the award just to puff my chest on winning two Championships this year, but hey to the victors go the spoils as I carry Owen’s head off into the Sunset carrying a trophy in each hand in the process!!!

(Honorable mentions: Arian Foster, Leshawn McCoy, Tom Brady, Roddy White)

Coach of the Year:

Bill Belichek, NE: yeah yeah I know he’s got Tom Brady…but he’s taken the team with more spare parts then the box I keep in my close for work (it’s computer parts you sick perverts!), but this team lost it’s top two backs and got BETTER (and I used to think Kevin Faulk was the key player in this offense)….he purged Randy Moss, turned him into Deion Branch, got BETTER and improved the draft pick in the process!! Not to mention totally rebuilding this defense on the fly and molding those rookies into men (I’d site Pro Bowl selections but those mean NOTHING to me)…the mad genius y’all love to hate, but hey the bad guys are allowed to win too ya know……

(Honorable Mentions: Raheed Morris, Tampa; Mike Smith, Atlanta; Todd Haley, KC)

League MVP:

Well this one’s easy….it feels like the last time he threw an INT I was prepping a best man speech for Brian’s wedding (and we were still trying to get Mike to find God, and Laflamme wasn’t given the remote control job at Sun Tavern)….and he only threw four all year and like I said about Belichek…look at his supporting cast…. I love Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis and all (and he should be the starting back), but he’s not exactly gonna make the cover of Madden 12 ya know, the TE’s are good, but this guy’s making them better and you add in his invincibility to the elements and no one comes CLOSE to the year Tom Brady did and the pieces he did it with….this was as easy and clear-cut as the defensive one was tough and a pain in the ass to figure out!

(Honorable Mentions: Matt Ryan, Atl; Mike Vick, Phi; Maurice Jones-Drew, Jax)

Edited by CRASHER

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pierre Thomas/Chris Ivory IR'ing makes New Orleans very one-dimensional offensively, and New Orleans does have the propensity this year to give the ball away. I still don't like the Hawks' chances, but I'd take the points with Thomas and Ivory out. Last game Ivory destroyed them to set up the pass. Bush and Jones couldn't carry their own mail from their mailbox, let alone this team's.

The Pierre Thomas/Chris Ivory IR'ing makes New Orleans very one-dimensional offensively, and New Orleans does have the propensity this year to give the ball away. I still don't like the Hawks' chances, but I'd take the points with Thomas and Ivory out. Last game Ivory destroyed them to set up the pass. Bush and Jones couldn't carry their own mail from their mailbox, let alone this team's.

To take it from the other side though, when Seattle loses it's by 14+ points, it's shown all year long.... will having no running game hurt the Saints?? yes.... will it be this week? hellllsss no, and I really do want Seattle to win as a GIANT frack off to people whining about a 7-9 playoff team :P

Well this game.... getting ugly :blink:

(wish I had known the Saints had never won on the road in the playoffs stat :rant: )

so anyone STILL think it was unfair to let Seattle in the tournament???

What the HELL has gotten into Marshawn Lynch?! :blink:

That might be the greatest playoff run ever :lol: Not as meaningful as Riggins in the Super Bowl but yikes, that was video-game quality.

I'm gonna chalk that up to SAINTS FAIL more then Lynch skill......this damn near reminds me of the GB-Arizona game last year... NO DEFENSE

The Jets beat the Colts, but just watching the game...Peyton Manning deserves MVP even though he has no chance. With the injuries to this team, without Peyton they are a 4-12 team at best. They have no run game whatsoever. Their interior lineman, linebackers, and secondary are as bad as you get for a playoff team, and besides Vinatieri, the special teams is awful. It's just a really bad team.

I'm just impressed that the Colts held the Jets scoreless in the first half. Also wanted to add that Vinatieri's kick tonight might be his most clutch of his career if not second, and it will most likely be forgotten. In every big SB kick, the game was tied when he kicked it. A lot less pressure when you know if you miss your team doesn't lose. Only in the snow game against the Raiders to get it to OT did he kick with his team losing.

How the Chiefs can win:

Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones….these guys can run the ball on ANYONE…Matt Cassel has been better then I want to give him credit for, and he has decent weapons in Bowe, the TE, and the two backs (hey they’re not the list of NFL “legends” the Ravens have, but who can contain that bunch of hall of fame possession guys….maybe a wheelchair squad?? :P )…..don’t sell short the power of the ROAR of that crowd in Arrowhead, that places in the 90s was a FEARSOME place to play, and I think it will be again on Sunday…..

What will happen?

This won’t be over in the first quarter that’s for DAMN sure (unless one team decides not to show up….), but I’m leaning on youth and home-field over age and experience here, I think people are taking the Chiefs too lightly ‘cause they’re in the AFC West, and I question the Ravens ability to shut down a legit big time offense, like the Chiefs have….and here’s a fun fact… no NFL team has lost 7 playoff games in a row…. The Chiefs have lost their last six……

I am not sure how our old, decrepit, overrated defense was able too stop such a powerhouse, "LEGIT, BIG TIME" offense like....the Chiefs?

If we only had an offense that could score...LOL.

Wrong as usual Crasher.

Experience was a big deal today for the Ravens. That fumble by Charles in the first half was big, looking back. The Chiefs were ripping off big gains, and then that fumble halted all momentum, and the Ravens capitalized.

Good job by Flacco hanging tough today. The Chiefs pressured him well early. That Tamba Hali is good.

I am not sure how our old, decrepit, overrated defense was able too stop such a powerhouse, "LEGIT, BIG TIME" offense like....the Chiefs?

If we only had an offense that could score...LOL.

Wrong as usual Crasher.

the REAL Matt Cassel showed up... it happens...have fun with the Steelers next week :P

161-92 on the SEASON.... blips in the road happen

Though this whole season's been ass-backwards and upside down... why shouldn't the playoffs be??

the REAL Matt Cassel showed up... it happens...have fun with the Steelers next week :P

161-92 on the SEASON.... blips in the road happen

Though this whole season's been ass-backwards and upside down... why shouldn't the playoffs be??

Wait, wasn't the Real Matt Cassel responsible for that "legit, big time offense" in KC?

I looking forward to the Steeler game next. We are due.

I am hoping your endorsement of them gives us the edge.

Hope the Ravens destroy Rapistberger. Hope the Jets rip Brady apart.

Hope the Seahawks can survive Chicago. Not good memories there.

The Seahawks or the Bears will be in the NFC Championship Game. Whoda thunk it?

Falcons or Packers is a coinflip. Rooting for the Pack though because if the Seahawks win, the NFC Championship would be in Seattle.

Edited by ghdi

As long as the Steelers and Pats aren't in the big game I'll be fine...but having the Pack or Jets in there wouldn't be that tolerable either (only from a "members of my are family are fans of the latter two teams and would irritate me beyond no end" standpoint) :)

And THATS why they call it the WILD card weekend. Wow. Hopefully things get to NORMAL next weekend and the Oats hand the Jets their ass AGAIN! I hate the Steelers, but I think I'd rather the Pats faced them for the AFC then the Ravens. meh either way, I'm sure the Oats will gameplan appropriately. 1st things 1st. B-E-A-T the J-E-T-S!!!