NJDevs FHL Season #8 underway!

NJDevs4978

Keeping everyone interested is a problem when you're having dead teams in November (February when you're out of it is one thing, it's kind of expected but now it's silly), I'm starting to think there's only two ways to ensure most teams participate throughout the year - one is by going to a playoff system which I'd hate, I think the best team should win it and I have enough of losing 'games' by luck in fantasy football :P The other would be using keepers, which I would consider except for the fact that you never have the same twenty teams year-in, year-out.

Plus the other argument against keepers is that if you could keep Ovechkin, Crosby, etc then getting the first pick in the draft next year or picking your draft position isn't really that big a reward for winning the league. At least when you have the chance to pick first...I could pick Brodeur or Ovechkin, Devilswede could get Crosby, etc.

If we went to a keeper league, I think we could set it up to keep interest in the draft, something to the effect of, each team gets 3 keepers, but you are not allowed to keep any players that were drafted in the 1st 3 rounds. I think that makes it a bit more plausible...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking over the scoring... I think Losses should be removed from the goalie stats next season... I'm not sure if something could replace it... I think goalie points would be a good "fluky" category that can be used as a "catch-up" stat... its pretty random, like SHP and SO's (to some extent)... I'm not sure if Yahoo tracks that in fantasy though.

But for losses, basically it seems to offset wins... it inflates the inactive teams because they have almost no wins, but no losses (which puts them to the top of the list). I think the category was designed to punish starting goalies on bad teams; but if everyone isn't active, it's not doing its job.

Well I wanted to contract the league to about 16 or so teams a couple years ago because of all the dead teams and you guys pitched a fit :P

I do agree though, this year it's even been worse and teams have gone dark earlier. I would have done a trade by now if there was more of a selection of teams to deal with, then again I haven't had any real issues until Koivu got hurt anyway.

I don't know what to do, anyone else has suggestions be my guest. Would keepers help, I don't know...I like red's idea of limiting it to a handful of keepers among players picked after the third round (I'd say fifth or sixth), problem is I can't implement it till next year. Well I could but then if the fantasy football league was any indication people would pitch a fit and say they would have managed their teams differently this year. And I'm not even sure it would help really. Plus it'd kinda be unfair to stick new owners with keeper choices from old teams - we're never going to have all the same teams every year unless we really cut down the size.

If it ever got to a point where doing head-to-head was the only way of keeping it active though I'd turn over commisionership to someone else and retire. I hate the luck aspect of it, especially with an odd number of games per week. At least in the NFL teams play once.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Just looking over the scoring... I think Losses should be removed from the goalie stats next season... I'm not sure if something could replace it... I think goalie points would be a good "fluky" category that can be used as a "catch-up" stat... its pretty random, like SHP and SO's (to some extent)... I'm not sure if Yahoo tracks that in fantasy though.

But for losses, basically it seems to offset wins... it inflates the inactive teams because they have almost no wins, but no losses (which puts them to the top of the list). I think the category was designed to punish starting goalies on bad teams; but if everyone isn't active, it's not doing its job.

I don't think goalie points are available haha. I'm not really concerned about inactive teams leading in goalie losses though since they lose out in so many other categories because of not playing a goalie (W, SV, SHO). Yeah it costs the top teams a few points but ultimately we're still going against each other in that category so there are points to be had. Ultimately the goal is to either have all 20 teams active or contract the league so that all teams will remain active longer.

And yeah you're getting closer...from 29.5 a while back to 12 now. For a while it looked like a two-horse race with me being Secretariat and you Sham. Now it's sort of like the Devils' attempt at a comeback (and you have the Devil goalies) :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978

I openly regret trading for Brodeur/Gomez... I was hoping the Devs would have gotten out of their funk sooner... butat least I grabbed Hedberg for this run. Gomez is a fraud. Lol

I traded Skinner and MStaal for Big Z. Looking to get a center before the deadline.

Well yours was more like a Phillies-Mets tidal wave, I was twenty up with a week to go and you got within two and a half.

ayl was 29.5 back but with seven weeks to go and he's been chipping away since (now it's six)...it really is like the Devils run, not like my team's playing all that bad either, his is just playing on such a high level. Hopefully I can make some trade in the next week or get Koivu and Leopold back soon to stem the tide a little.

My big weak point was ignoring PIMs (currently 8pts)... I'm about 100 PIMs behind where I would want to be (top third). If I kept an eye on that, it would look a bit different.

I think I'm too far behind to benefit anymore in FW's to justify giving up elite wing talent for a higher end, but non-elite center.... stupid Marc Savard concussions, the nerve! jk

My path to winning looks to be keep pacing with G/A... and playing Price more than NJ goalies (for saves, as NJ limits the shots). Although its hard to bench either when I still have some games in hand to play (although, now I'm only down to -2 projected)

March has been superbly kind to me in goaltending...

Mar 1- Price W, 40sv, 1.0gaa

Mar 2- Brodeur W, 15sv, 1.00gaa

Mar 3- Price W, 30sv, SHO

Mar 4- Brodeur W, 25sv, 0.93gaa)

A single SHP points would change everything. There's a six-way tie with 7 SHP (including myself and Hasan)...

The joys of rotisserie strategy

Edited by aylbert

What really is gonna bring this sucker down to the wire is all the different categories we're 1-2 in. I'm first in goals, points, plus-minus and goalie wins and you're second in all of them. And we're close in a handful of other categories. Plus we each have multiple goalies that we need to use well down the stretch.

• 5 weeks later...

It's a good thing my team pretty much put this sucker away a couple weeks back since my entire defense (other than Erhoff) has basically dissapeared on me over the last month :lol:

It's funny that I had my swoon when Koivu was out but started rolling again when he came back...but really it had more to do with my two goalies slumping, then getting hot again. Nice to win two FHL titles in a row even though my main threat Devilswede had an off year because of an unexpected autodraft (and will still probably finish top five).

At least the teams who finished directly behind me were competitive but far too few teams were, and this influenced the lack of trading too. Next year there's either going to be a severe reduction in the number of teams or a severe turnover...but either way I'm not going to have another season where a dead team can finish fourth and seven of the nineteen (halfshark, ayl, Manta, red, Devilswede, westcoast and the CaliHippies team) were competitive all the way through, or at least enough of the season to matter.

I mean four out of the twenty teams didn't even have a league activity after October and two didn't do a thing at all from the time they signed up :rolleyes:

Edited by NJDevs4978