Lookin good

LucifersDog

I think he will return to school. Can anyone here really see this guy going pro this year? He may be ready but the NHL team is overflowing and I think it may be better for him to finish a full college season after his "half-season" before heading to the AHL.

I think he will return to school. Can anyone here really see this guy going pro this year? He may be ready but the NHL team is overflowing and I think it may be better for him to finish a full college season after his "half-season" before heading to the AHL.

Just hope he doesn't pull a Justin Schultz.

Just hope he doesn't pull a Justin Schultz.

While we don't really know much, from his quotes, he doesn't really sound like a guy who wants to de-register from Michigan and it sounds as if he is looking forward to NJ. Of course over the past couple years he may have had his thinking privileges revoked and Lou might be writing all his material.

Edited by ben00rs

Looks good to me. Do not know a whole lot about Gelinas and Burlon. What is the scoop on them?

I'm sure some of our resident prospect experts can give you a breakdown of them, but I've heard nothing but good things on those two. They seem to get overlooked. Urbom and Tao were always ahead on the depth chart, but with Tao gone and these two a year older, I'm sure they'll be knocking on the door.

Looks good to me. Do not know a whole lot about Gelinas and Burlon. What is the scoop on them?

From what I've read Burlon is a solid all around defensemen. Comparable to Greene. He isn't amazing in any one aspect but solid throughout.

Gelinas has a good shot and is more offensive and I think he led the AHL in goals for defensemen or at least was up there.

Breaking down our D prospects I see it like this:

Solid all around: Burlon, Severson, Larsson

Solid defensively: Urbom, Fayne (isn't a prospect but hes young still)

Solid offensively: Merril, Scarlett, Gelinas

I don't know why Lou signed Harrold to a one way deal (maybe it was two way?). We now have Volchenkov, Zidlicky, Salvador, Tallinder, Greene, Fayne, Harrold, and Larsson. Even if we trade one we still will be jammed up. I was hoping Urbom/Gelinas could make the jump this year.

Down the line...

Larsson-Urbom

Merril-Fayne

Gelinas-Scarlett

I can hope. I doubt that actually happens, very rarely do you see that many prospects pan out.

Edited by Mayday

I want to a see an all prospect defense in one of the preseason games lol I have never been this exicited to see a group of players devlop.

I think some teams do it but I would like a 4 team (NJ, NYI, NYR, Philly) rookie tournament where the prospects and showcase what they got in several games instead of a couple of scrimmages.

I want to a see an all prospect defense in one of the preseason games lol I have never been this exicited to see a group of players devlop.

Hopefully there will be pre-season games this year. We definitely have a good group of defensive prospects in the system, with Merrill at or near the top. Our defensive depth chart is certainly much different than it was 3 + years ago.

if there is a lockout can larsson play in the ahl? if so larsson, urbom, gelinas, burlon, and even merril if he turns pro would absoutely dominate.

Last lockout there was a games limit. I believe it was 70 regular season games and the player was ineligible to play in the AHL - Paul Martin fell just over this, and so he played elsewhere that year. David Hale played in the minors with 65 games played. I *think* Larsson would be eligible for the AHL, it depends on what he and the team would want to do in that eventuality.

Edited by Triumph

Last lockout there was a games limit. I believe it was 70 regular season games and the player was ineligible to play in the AHL - Paul Martin fell just over this, and so he played elsewhere that year. David Hale played in the minors with 65 games played. I *think* Larsson would be eligible for the AHL, it depends on what he and the team would want to do in that eventuality.

I know Lou always pushes for more school, but what do you think the chances Lou tries to get Merrill to play in Albany next year? If there is a lockout, the AHL will be a much better league than normally. I think it would be a perfect year for him to turn pro and play along side Larsson

I know Lou always pushes for more school, but what do you think the chances Lou tries to get Merrill to play in Albany next year? If there is a lockout, the AHL will be a much better league than normally. I think it would be a perfect year for him to turn pro and play along side Larsson

I don't think he will push Merrill to go pro. I think he will leave the decision to him without any direct influence. It wont hurt Merrill or us to have him go back to college for one more year and look for next year as his target arrival in Albany, and hopefully in NJ fulltime by 14-15.

I'm not sure Lou pushes for kids to stay in school. I think Lou doesn't push the kids in either direction, and compared to almost every other GM that just makes it look like he's pushing towards school.

I saw Burlon play and IMO doesn't do anything outstanding. He's not a physical player,(never will be, kinda small) but he's more Andy Greene 2.0. Not sure what solid means? Don't understand "upside" either. (people throw that word around like they know what they're talking about). I was impressed with Gelinas. In a game against the cup winning Admirals, Albany down 3 goals, got to 3-2 w/a lil over a minute left. Gelinas was put on the point face off in d zone. Albany won faceoff back to Kelly, D to D to Gelinas, Score! He was/is the go-to guy. Funny skater however, kinda "bowl legged" big long stick too. Hopefully I'm wrong but Burlon will be career AHL'er. Gelinas will make it difficult to be sent down.

I saw Burlon play and IMO doesn't do anything outstanding. He's not a physical player,(never will be, kinda small) but he's more Andy Greene 2.0. Not sure what solid means? Don't understand "upside" either. (people throw that word around like they know what they're talking about). I was impressed with Gelinas. In a game against the cup winning Admirals, Albany down 3 goals, got to 3-2 w/a lil over a minute left. Gelinas was put on the point face off in d zone. Albany won faceoff back to Kelly, D to D to Gelinas, Score! He was/is the go-to guy. Funny skater however, kinda "bowl legged" big long stick too. Hopefully I'm wrong but Burlon will be career AHL'er. Gelinas will make it difficult to be sent down.

Thanks for the insight! I haven't had the chance to see anything more than highlight videos but it really seems like Burlon is down on the depth chart when you think of the emergence of Fayne and Larsson at the NHL level and Gelinas, Urbom, and soon Merrill at the AHL level. I also wouldn't be shocked if a guy like Corbin McPherson passes him eventually. Sometimes I get the impression that Burlon being a 2nd round pick has caused people to think of him higher than he should be. I still don't get why he didn't return to Michigan for his senior year and decided to go pro so soon.