The Official Trade Brian Gionta thread

Triumph

I realize I'm kind of squashing a win here, but I'm tired of Brian Gionta - that failure to pass on a 2 on 0 down low just sealed it. He had Paul Martin wide open, but Gionta just doesn't pass the puck these days - he shoots from every point in the offensive zone, any time he passes it's been largely terrible, he can't score anymore, and he gets beat on the boards, and his shot isn't good enough to beat goalies from outside the circles regularly. There's enough shoot-first right wings on this team.

So, with that in mind - speculate away! Martin Havlat and Jonathan Cheechoo are two names I think New Jersey can be interested in, and with Dainius Zubrus's versatility and Patrik Elias's successful move to center, New Jersey could be interested in a left wing also.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian Gionta....whipping boy of the week! He shoots and misses he should've passed....he passes and should've shot...the trade request of the week....sheesh...Jr. just can't win around here.

Nothing personal Tri...it is just that this trend of threads makes me just shake my head.

I love Gionta, but I agree 100%. I would shop him right now while he still has some decent stock. I only see his value dropping. He had a career year after the lockout due to defenseman struggling to adapt to the new NHL, Gomez having a great year, and taking advantage of a ton of power plays to get garbage goals up front. As you mentioned he doesn't score much anymore due to his poor shot and decision making. I would love to hold onto him because he is easy to like, but I think he is better used as a trade asset right now.

Brian Gionta....whipping boy of the week! He shoots and misses he should've passed....he passes and should've shot...the trade request of the week....sheesh...Jr. just can't win around here.

Nothing personal Tri...it is just that this trend of threads makes me just shake my head.

Dew, you've been around here long enough to know this isn't my style. The last one of these threads I remember starting came in January 2002 for Jason Arnott - and I started one for Scott Niedermayer in 03 (oops)

It's a unique situation - while I'd love to keep Gionta around and hope he improves, it wasn't 2 years ago that he almost scored 50 goals. As the Devils are constituted right now, I don't see Gionta getting more than 30, and his lack of offensive zone awareness and lack of a slapshot/shot from long range really holds him back from being a tremendously effective player.

Edited by Triumph

The worst thing he ever did was score 48 goals...

Gionta would be valuable to hold on to if the Devils has some other offensive talent and didn't look to Gionta to produce consistently. The problem is he doesn't produce, and isn't a truly elite level player, which you need on the top two lines.

If the Devils could get a decent return, by all means they should pull the trigger...his stock isn't getting any higher than it is now.

Chechoo has 16 points less than Gionta and is pretty much exactly the same player IMO.

Grabs garbage goals created by Thronton (see his last five goals), just like Gio used to do during his 48 goal season.

If your going to trade Gionta you dont want to trade him for the same problem back.

Dew, you've been around here long enough to know this isn't my style. The last one of these threads I remember starting came in January 2002 for Jason Arnott.

It's a unique situation - while I'd love to keep Gionta around and hope he improves, it wasn't 2 years ago that he almost scored 50 goals. As the Devils are constituted right now, I don't see Gionta getting more than 30, and his lack of offensive zone awareness and lack of a slapshot/shot from long range really holds him back from being a tremendously effective player.

Tri...I said nothing personal and I meant it...I know your style well and I remember that Arnott era...it is just that it seems this season it is a challenge to see who is the new "let's sit or let's trade" player of the week...it is just amazing to me how many of these type of threads have occurred this season...I see almost every player, Gionta included, as being out of their element this season...new players, old stand bys gone, new coach, new barn, new everything...chemistry is developed and it takes time...I know the word chemistry is tossed around a lot however you know that I am just much more patient that the majority...I remember the seasons when fans were happy to have 5 different 20 goal scorers rather than 2 50 goal scorers...I like the less but more method...this way the other team is always wondering who to be extra concerned about...every player is as good as the players around them...Gionta, like others, tries so much not to make mistakes they end up making more...none of them want to be the target of Sutter's ire...they don't seem to be having fun lately...this team does much better when clicking on all cylinders and they are truly having fun.

I think we both understand each other Tri...I would have made the same exact post no matter who started the thread :) I think we are on the same page...yes? :)

Edited by StarDew

i'm not against trading him as long as we upgrade(havlat) and not just go lateral(cheechoo).

i also have noticed that he really doesn't have any shot from the circles out and gets all his goals in close. he has a ton of heart and i love him as a player but i don't think we're ever going to see that 48 goal scorer again. we should trade him while he still has value.

The worst thing he ever did was score 48 goals...

And the worst thing any Devil fan could do was think he'd do it again.

Like all trades, I would hope he'd go if we got something substantial in return. Unfortunately I think his value is more to Devil fans then anyone else in the league. I don't know if we'd get anything back that we wouldn't be starting a 'trade him' thread in about 2 months.

Plus it doesn't help our offense that Zubrus is on pace to score about 15 and he's our big offensive aquisition of the last couple of years.

Edited by SC Devs Fan

I realize I'm kind of squashing a win here, but I'm tired of Brian Gionta - that failure to pass on a 2 on 0 down low just sealed it. He had Paul Martin wide open, but Gionta just doesn't pass the puck these days - he shoots from every point in the offensive zone, any time he passes it's been largely terrible, he can't score anymore, and he gets beat on the boards, and his shot isn't good enough to beat goalies from outside the circles regularly. There's enough shoot-first right wings on this team.

So, with that in mind - speculate away! Martin Havlat and Jonathan Cheechoo are two names I think New Jersey can be interested in, and with Dainius Zubrus's versatility and Patrik Elias's successful move to center, New Jersey could be interested in a left wing also.

Totally agree here. Watching Gionta tonight he has really lost it out on the ice and has looked lost most of the season. he does not look like he is going to contribute on this Devils team this season so trading him to somewhere would be a good thing. I am sure the Devils can make a good deal with Gionta in a trade with Oduya. Havlat, Hossa, Cheechoo are good choices along with Campbell, Arnott (one can dream of both here) and even Sykora who looked great tonight. That won't happen trading in the division or to a team in the east so one could only hope.

i'm for trading him as well - but obviously not for the sake of just making a deal. versus actually brought up that he's not the same person without gomez and its starting to show. while he does have speed to create his own shot off the wing, i've only seen him bury one this year that way.

this team does not have a pass first center to play with gionta and that's what he needs. i also would not deal him for a flash in the pan cheechoo and the havlat reach really scares me. i would deal him for sundin if mats would sign an extension but that's not happening.

how about to buffalo:

gionta, greene, 2nd

to NJ:

stafford

campbell

this is assuming that buffalo decides they're sellers and don't want to lose campbell for nothing as they did with drury and briere. the chance to bowl over campbell while he was NJD property would be worth this deal as well.

i'm for trading him as well - but obviously not for the sake of just making a deal. versus actually brought up that he's not the same person without gomez and its starting to show. while he does have speed to create his own shot off the wing, i've only seen him bury one this year that way.

this team does not have a pass first center to play with gionta and that's what he needs. i also would not deal him for a flash in the pan cheechoo and the havlat reach really scares me. i would deal him for sundin if mats would sign an extension but that's not happening.

how about to buffalo:

gionta, greene, 2nd

to NJ:

stafford

campbell

this is assuming that buffalo decides they're sellers and don't want to lose campbell for nothing as they did with drury and briere. the chance to bowl over campbell while he was NJD property would be worth this deal as well.

Sounds good but trade Oduya and keep Greene. Too bad Lou don't see this trade. :P Would love to have Campbell.

Put me on the list too...I'd kill for that trade Sundstrom. But only if we could sign Campbell.

HOI, I think Lou would sign campbell to a multi year deal. Devils do have the money under the salary cap and think if they do go out and get someone like Campbell, Havlat, Hossa they can lock them up for a deal.

Gionta is another version of Cheechoo, a breakout 2005-06 season and then slumps in the goal department. I don't think another forward is needed because Rupp displays he can be the net-crasher that skilled players Elias and Zubrus need. Zajac, Parise and Langs are another scoring unit while Madden, Pandolfo and Clarkson are a dangerous two-way group. Gionta should be dealt for a reliable defenseman because I am tired of seeing the Devils D-men keep giving pucks away.

how about to buffalo:

gionta, greene, 2nd

to NJ:

stafford

campbell

yeah this is pretty much a sweetheart deal for new jersey. i think it'd have to be a 1st rounder to complete this one. they don't really need what gionta brings, and while he is a local boy, they need to get more a return for brian campbell. gionta for stafford is basically straight up given the dollars and UFA status of both.

re: cheechoo - at least he can fight in the corners. I do realize he's a similar player, the ideal would be havlat, but the Devils have enough smaller players too.

eh, I just bought a jersey and think he's capable. he's one of the few marketable players left in NJ and I think if the line combinations work themselves out a bit more in his favor he can still get it done. I'd wait until his contract runs out after 08-09 to get rid of him.

Am I the only one scratching my head on this one? Since when has Gio been dragging us down? Maybe he's not up to the level he once was, but does that mean we immediately dump him? Hell, I can think of at least a half dozen other guys I'd rather see leave before I let Gio go!

I mean, if we look at his stats, he has the same amount of points and Patrik Elias in a much smaller package. So he's not racking up the deflections he once did at the front of the net - ever think that maybe Gomez had a hand in that department?

Does it mean that since Gomez is gone, Gio is obsolete?

[u]P	#	Name		Height	GP	G	A	Pts	Shifts	Shots[/u]
C 26 Elias, Patrik 6' 1" 49 15 19 34 1175 174
RW 14 Gionta, Brian 5' 7" 53 13 21 34 1218 168