Verizon / Cablevision MSG HD FCC fight continues...

PeteyNice

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bulletproof said FiOS offers MSG in HD (perhaps in a sports package).

PeteyNice said not true. He says FiOS only offers MSG in SD.

I'll go walk to my TV right now and settle this thing...

Ok so my results show that MSG is not available in HD from FiOS, but upon further testing I realized I didn't care because my Internet was lightning fast and my TV picture quality and HD channel selection kill the competition..

Edited by Colin226

yes i got all 3 i love fios tv and internet the internet is so good with my 360 no lag at all nd tv is amazing

Oh man XBL on FiOS is unreal.. You do better simply because you never lag and your opponents sometimes do.. I also stream Netflix movies to my 360 via my FiOS and it's flawless

looks like Verizon is trying to push the FCC on requiring cablevision to give them the MSG HD feeds. Seems to be no response yet from the FCC.

http://community.vzw.com/vrzn/board/messag...;thread.id=1789

methinks the democratic FCC chairman would want to foster competition. Maybe the end is in sight.

Cablevision is fvcked without that.. But Verizon is too big.. They will get what they want and pretty soon so will I

• 2 months later...

FIOS Vs MSG

NYC Metro FiOS subs will look on with interest as Verizon has petitioned the FCC to rule on whether or not Cablevisioncan continue to refuse offering its MSG channels in high definition toFiOS customers. Naturally Cablevision has responded calling the idea ofa regulatory bailout for a phone company ten times its size "absurd,"and claiming that it doesn't have to license its local HD programmingto anyone. As Multichannel News explains, at issue is the"terrestrial loophole" which requires satellite delivered programmingto be made available to competitors, but since the MSG channels aren'tthat rule does not apply. Still, it could be a while before we know iflocal Rangers, Knicks, Islanders, Devils and Sabers games are coming toFiOS as Verizon has asked for a decisions within five months, which,while not in time for the basketball season, should still be made well a head of the Knicks ever being any good again.

FIOS Vs MSG

NYC Metro FiOS subs will look on with interest as Verizon has petitioned the FCC to rule on whether or not Cablevisioncan continue to refuse offering its MSG channels in high definition toFiOS customers. Naturally Cablevision has responded calling the idea ofa regulatory bailout for a phone company ten times its size "absurd,"and claiming that it doesn't have to license its local HD programmingto anyone. As Multichannel News explains, at issue is the"terrestrial loophole" which requires satellite delivered programmingto be made available to competitors, but since the MSG channels aren'tthat rule does not apply. Still, it could be a while before we know iflocal Rangers, Knicks, Islanders, Devils and Sabers games are coming toFiOS as Verizon has asked for a decisions within five months, which,while not in time for the basketball season, should still be made well a head of the Knicks ever being any good again.

merge threads? http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29162&hl=fios&st=80

Edited by section 110

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone heard anything about this? I searched the web with no results.

I can't believe how long this is dragging on. Maybe its time for us to band together with other NY area fans and start demanding some action.

There's no news on this unfortunately. Verizon has a public policy blog ( http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at-Home/FCC-Looks-Into-TV-Sports-Channel-Access/bc-p/55983 ) and a message board ( http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Programming/bd-p/FiOS_TV_Entertainment ) which I check regularly for any updates.

The basic deal is that the law says that cablevision does not have to provide MSG HD to FiOS due to something called the terrestrial loophole (don't ask - google it if you want to learn all about the Telecom act of 1986). In order for this loophole to be closed, the FCC has to rule on it and clearly it is not on their agenda. Check http://www.fcc.gov periodically to see if this issue comes up. You can also call the FCC and ask if the commission plans to rule on the Verizon petition.

Edited by section 110

Anyone heard anything about this? I searched the web with no results.

I can't believe how long this is dragging on. Maybe its time for us to band together with other NY area fans and start demanding some action.

DM, if you hear that Verizon won't be able to get any of the MSGs in HD for a long long time, would you consider going back to Cablevision? I only ask because I was reading some of your posts in this thread and it sounds like watching the Devils in HD might take precedence over everything else for you.

I myself am up in the air right now over whether or not to switch to Fios or stay with Cablevision. My yearlong IO introductory offer just ended and Cablevision raised their rates on me. The only thing is: I REALLY REALLY love watching the Devils in HD. I know the reception on Fios is much better in all other aspects, but I really don't care. I have a nice HDTV, and Cablevision HD is just fine for me.

Jimmy L., you said you told Cablevision that you were going to switch over to Fios and Cablevision dropped their price for you? Did they ask for any proof? I've heard stories of people trying that and Cablevision asked for proof that the people actually talked to Verizon and were not just pretending.

Jimmy L., you said you told Cablevision that you were going to switch over to Fios and Cablevision dropped their price for you? Did they ask for any proof? I've heard stories of people trying that and Cablevision asked for proof that the people actually talked to Verizon and were not just pretending.

Two times I've negotiated lower rates with Comcast using this kind of tactic. Both times I bitched and moaned for a little while about raising rates this and crappy service that to no avail. Both times, at the last minute, I pulled the, "If we can't work something out, I'm gonna switch to satellite," card. Both times I got my rates lowered and got extra channels out of it too. They never asked for any proof. I'm not even sure how one would even go about proving that anyway.

with all this BS going on with Verizon, Cablevision, DirecTV, MSG HD and the Versus channel, all the more the NHL needs to go back to ESPN and ESPN 2. Just getting ridiculious now.

+1 if the NHL cared about it's TV fan base they would be fighting for improvements or changes that get more TV fans. But the NHL is in a bind they can't fill seats with fans.

+1 if the NHL cared about it's TV fan base they would be fighting for improvements or changes that get more TV fans. But the NHL is in a bind they can't fill seats with fans.

Correct - the NHL has no leverage and the TV deal is set for now.

I just got FiOS (just couldn't bear to give any money to the Dolans if I have an option) and am contemplating getting the center ice HD package. Not sure if they will black out the HD feed of Devil games. Anyone know?

I've had it for awhile.

Definitely superior to cable.

Basically the wires they use can handle more information. The SD TV as well as HD does not require the same level of compression so you don't get blocks when there is fast movement, flashing lights, or large areas of solid color on the screen. You can tell the difference side by side easily when watching CNN or ESPN and the graphics appear to be much smoother and "vector" like.

Internet is much faster.

I haven't had TV or Internet go down at all. My time warner sucked horribly. Constant interruptions, poor quality, and a very slow cable box. I pay the same for Fios as i did Time Warner and I have DVR, every movie channel, better quality tv, and faster internet.

Great value... now I just need HD hockey!

Edited by oofrostonoo

DM, if you hear that Verizon won't be able to get any of the MSGs in HD for a long long time, would you consider going back to Cablevision? I only ask because I was reading some of your posts in this thread and it sounds like watching the Devils in HD might take precedence over everything else for you.

I myself am up in the air right now over whether or not to switch to Fios or stay with Cablevision. My yearlong IO introductory offer just ended and Cablevision raised their rates on me. The only thing is: I REALLY REALLY love watching the Devils in HD. I know the reception on Fios is much better in all other aspects, but I really don't care. I have a nice HDTV, and Cablevision HD is just fine for me.

I would severely tested to stay WITH Fios if they state it will be multiple seasons before they get HD. I Just got HD earlier this year and after watching VS games in HD, it is painful to see the Devils in standard now.

I'm not a big haggler, but I couldn't take another increase. They lowered me $70 the first month and $21 per month since then, with no reduction in service or channels.

Friends have tried to do this since, but to no avail.

I'm sticking with Cablevision only because of the HD Devs games.

When Fios gets it, I'm trying it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a big haggler either. But because my monthly bill went up by $40, I had to do something. This weekend, I called Cablevision and told them I was cancelling. The guy asked me why and I said I was going to try Verizon Fios because they are cheaper -- also they had mailed me some really nice introductory offers. The guy ended up lowering my monthly bill by $30, guaranteeing they wouldn't raise it for two years.

I never really wanted to drop Cablevision because of Devils games in HD. But I didn't tell him that. I didn't even mention hockey.

I'm not a big haggler either. But because my monthly bill went up by $40, I had to do something. This weekend, I called Cablevision and told them I was cancelling. The guy asked me why and I said I was going to try Verizon Fios because they are cheaper -- also they had mailed me some really nice introductory offers. The guy ended up lowering my monthly bill by $30, guaranteeing they wouldn't raise it for two years.

I never really wanted to drop Cablevision because of Devils games in HD. But I didn't tell him that. I didn't even mention hockey.

Sounds like you really had them by the balls..

Just shows you how Verizon FiOS is just ripping through its competitors and leaving them with no leverage

See, here is the main thing --- there is NO reason for Cable companies to exist beyond being internet providers.

Everything is digital now. It's unnecessary for improved reception with cable. Now you're paying for something that should be free. The stations are make money through advertising. When a cable company owns a station they're double dipping. You pay them to watch stations they get paid to show ads on. you pay for the privilege of being forced to watch sh!t you dont need or want to buy. OR you can pay extra to that same cable company whittle it all down to the stuff that you actually want to watch via DVR or TiVo or whathaveyou--for a price you can enjoy all 15 minutes of what's sold to you as an hour of programming.

Cable TV with advertising makes no sense. I'm glad we finally have a thread I didn't start where you all are seeing the pointlessness of it all. :clap: