2012 - 2013 NHL Schedule Discussion Thread

Colin226

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

February sucks for season ticket holders. Games almost every other night and then back to back 1 pm games totaling 10 games. Yet in December and January we only have 4 home games each month. Terrible scheduling.

Don't worry, it's not the real schedule.

February sucks for season ticket holders. Games almost every other night and then back to back 1 pm games totaling 10 games. Yet in December and January we only have 4 home games each month. Terrible scheduling.

If you're planning on attending every game, then yes, it's kind of crappy. If you don't mind reselling though, it's somewhat of a favor. There are many fans who don't give more than a glimpse to hockey until football reaches that two week break before the Super Bowl. I'm pretty sure that resell prices tend to go up in February.

Well, who here believes that the current CBA will be extended, or that a new CBA will be drafted & ratified by Labor Day so the Camps can open ?

I never thought they would throw away a full year, and I did not expect the NBA to delay their season start -- but these things happen.

It's hard to see how the camps and/or season begin as presently scheduled.

Sad but true.

Edited by BlueSkirt

If you're planning on attending every game, then yes, it's kind of crappy. If you don't mind reselling though, it's somewhat of a favor. There are many fans who don't give more than a glimpse to hockey until football reaches that two week break before the Super Bowl. I'm pretty sure that resell prices tend to go up in February.

It depends on how the team is doing. In 09-10, you could get tix in February for $3-4 a pop in the 100s.

Resell market is more dependent on the team's play than anything else.

Only 4 home games in December is wacky.

It depends on how the team is doing. In 09-10, you could get tix in February for $3-4 a pop in the 100s.

Resell market is more dependent on the team's play than anything else.

Only 4 home games in December is wacky.

Our horror season in 10-11 was also cheap too, I bought $10 tickets 6 rows behind Marty for one of the Carolina games.

Edited by Zubie#8

Our horror season in 10-11 was also cheap too, I bought $10 tickets 6 rows behind Marty for one of the Carolina games.

Thats the season I was referring to actually. I messed up and put it further behind us than it actually is.

Nice to pretend, but it's rather unlikely the season actually opens then.

Kind of hard to have a discussion about a hypothetical schedule, isn't it?

But we could try. How would you adjust the match-ups if 16 games (20%) of the schedule were eliminated?

20 games (25%)?

27 games (33%)?

Just picking up this schedule whenever they're ready to go is lazy and unbalanced. Obviously arena scheduling affects many teams (esp. those with NBA co-tenants), but ideally, what would you do with a given number of games?

For 33% of the season lost: 5 vs. division = 20; 3 vs. conference = 30, 1 vs. opposite conference = 15. Sum = 65 which is 82 minus 27.

Are you saying this because the CBA? Are you that sure that the season will be shortened?

I'd be amazed if it weren't. Either side only has leverage over the other when they start canceling games, otherwise it's all just talk. The CBA ends September 15th.

I'd be shocked if there were a whole season missing. But half a season? That wouldn't surprise me. I'd expect a lockout as long as the recent NBA one. Their season started on Christmas. The NHL and NHLPA will probably want to play the Winter Classic, so that will be the date they shoot for.

Fine by me if they cancel games. Gives this team a little rest after the run they had, especially with all the vets.

Well that's one positive for our team in particular if a lockout happens. One negative for us though is that our team needs money more than many others, and if we don't play, we don't make any. But JVB's creditors don't just skip an interest period because the league is locked out.

Having that many games bunched up hurts the resale value of non-rivalry games during that stretch though. Granted, those same games wouldn't sell for beans in December either cause it's too early in the season, so I don't think it makes much of a difference either way. You'll still be able to get a weekday Jackets matchup for peanuts whenever they put it.

As a sth myself, I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I'd rather go to games late in the season because there's more urgency with them. On the other hand I don't like going back-to-back nights or three games in a week because I'd rather not be going to games by rote, but by Game 60 I don't really want to miss games either if we're in contention for a division or god forbid are life and death for the playoffs. I usually wind up going to 2/3rds either way.

I'd rather not think about a lockout until after FA is done, it becomes obvious what's happening with ownership and our own team's issues are either solved or exacerbated. But yeah I wouldn't bet money on there being 82 next year. Probably would be a blessing in disguise for the team with the extra couple months off, and right now I can be ambivalent about a non-October start cause I was still going to games last week. But by September, I'll be annoyed if they're not starting in October.

Well that's one positive for our team in particular if a lockout happens. One negative for us though is that our team needs money more than many others, and if we don't play, we don't make any. But JVB's creditors don't just skip an interest period because the league is locked out.

You mean we don't lose any. The Devils clearly lose money on the beginning of the season.

I would guess there is always a possibility that the NHL and NHLPA agree to continue under the current CBA for the 2012-13 season if they are close to an agreement in September. It seems silly to lose a part of a season if there are only a few issues holding things back. For example, the NFL this season started training camps before all of the CBA had been agreed upon.

I would guess there is always a possibility that the NHL and NHLPA agree to continue under the current CBA for the 2012-13 season if they are close to an agreement in September. It seems silly to lose a part of a season if there are only a few issues holding things back. For example, the NFL this season started training camps before all of the CBA had been agreed upon.

Except you know negotiations will probably only start a week before the CBA ends, so if there's any stoppage at all really games have to get canceled, since it's so close to the start of the season and that won't be enough time to hammer out enough issues to even have a workable CBA. Plus I worry about Don Fehr running the PA the way I'm worried about Don Meehan being in Parise's ear.

You mean we don't lose any. The Devils clearly lose money on the beginning of the season.

This is probably true. Funny that I didn't stop to consider it when I basically pronounced the February-onward portion of the schedule to be more valuable in my other post. :rolling:

Granted, those same games wouldn't sell for beans in December either cause it's too early in the season, so I don't think it makes much of a difference either way. You'll still be able to get a weekday Jackets matchup for peanuts whenever they put it.

But yeah I wouldn't bet money on there being 82 next year.

This begs a question: Is your preferred currency when selling/buying Devils tickets beans, peanuts, or the American dollar? :lol: