Lets get Friesen back

MacDevil

Be careful with that upside prediction...he's only cracked the 30-goal plateau once and hasn't had 60+ points since the '99-'00 season.

Friesen's numbers over the last five years:

2000-2001 SAN 64 GP, 12 G, 24 A, 36 PTS, +7

2001-2002 ANA 81 GP, 17 G, 26 A, 43 PTS, -1

2002-2003 NJD 81 GP, 23 G, 28 A, 51 PTS, +23

2003-2004 NJD 81 GP, 17 G, 20 A, 37 PTS, +8

2005-2006 WAS 30 GP, 2 G, 3 A, 5 PTS, -12

For his career he's now played 800 games and has 210 goals and 288 assists for 498 points. At the very best he might manage 20 goals and 45 points, but I doubt it. He's too much of a headcase.

That upside is still there - and scoring is up in the new NHL. Hence I would've said his upside is 25-25-50 in 03-04 (which is basically what he did in 02-03). He's not the player San Jose thought they had in say 98, but at 20 goals and 45 points he will struggle to find employment. I just don't see his career being finished at 29 or 30. This isn't John Druce we're talking about - this is a player who has had success on the biggest stage and has had consistent (relatively) NHL success.

We can get him for practically nothing...

He can help our offense.... espacially in the PLAYOFFS

And hell yes... HE WILL MAKE THE TEAM BETTER.

This applies to 30 other players who are having better seasons than Jeff Friesen. Friesen's year is beyond bad - if applied to 82 games, it's one of the worst seasons a player of Friesen's caliber has ever had in the 'prime' of his career.

The Devils do not have enough offense - everyone knows that, including Lou. Given the trade market and the strength of the East, I don't see Lou making a move for more offense. It's too expensive and not worth it just to possibly win another playoff round. In past years, Parise-Brylin-Marshall would've been a great fourth line. Now it's our second line.

Edited by Triumph

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an observation:

The Devils should get solid scoring from the EGG line and quality netminding from Brodeur. Rafalski will probably chip in from the blueline.

However, in order for them to go far in the Spring, it might depend on the production of the checking line. Langenbrunner is a real key to their success. As currently constituted, they'll need offense from that line unless their second line picks it up.

We can get him for practically nothing...

He can help our offense.... espacially in the PLAYOFFS

And hell yes... HE WILL MAKE THE TEAM BETTER.

His curent stats, after injury and on crapy team MEAN NOTHING....

Ovechkin's playing on that same crappy team, yet he's managed 71 points.

Zubrus isn't anyone's idea of a barnburner, yet he's scored 13 goals and notched 18 assists.

And it's not like Friesen's not getting ice time. He's averaged almost 15 minutes of ice time a game.

One valid argument/comparison you can make though is the case of Neal Broten. When Lou traded Corey Millen for him in '95, his numbers as a Star were brutal: 17 GP , 0 G and just 4 A. He went on a tear as a Devil, notching 28 points in 30 games. But I think this is going to be a lost year for Friesen, no matter who he plays for. He seems very easily shaken and his confidence is completely gone.

Just an observation:

The Devils should get solid scoring from the EGG line and quality netminding from Brodeur. Rafalski will probably chip in from the blueline.

However, in order for them to go far in the Spring, it might depend on the production of the checking line. Langenbrunner is a real key to their success. As currently constituted, they'll need offense from that line unless their second line picks it up.

Well said about Langs. He had a lot of chances the last two games and nothing to show for it. Had he cashed in on two or three of them we're not talking about the struggling Devil offense as much.

We've seen how this '05-'06 team plays...good with Elias, not so good without.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

In past years, Parise-Brylin-Marshall would've been a great fourth line. Now it's our second line.

Exactly my point.....

The Devils do not have enough offense - everyone knows that, including Lou. Given the trade market and the strength of the East, I don't see Lou making a move for more offense. It's too expensive and not worth it just to possibly win another playoff round.

We don't have to get someone with 3-4 years contract. I'm just refusing to forfeit the season....

And your last point...if it is not worth "another playoff round" as you say why don't we just start to rebuild for the next season. With our current status, we are not rebilding and we are not geting stronger for the playoffs.

It will be 2002 playoffs all over again

It will be 2002 playoffs all over again

It won't be. Gionta won't make a rookie mistake that leads to a game winning goal. If Sykora hurts his ankle, I doubt the Devils will be concerned. If Weekes has to replace the starting goaltender will it be a bad thing this time around?

It's 6 days until the trade deadline. Lou always makes trades that are an eh.

But those little piddling trades payoff sometimes. Maybe Lou decides he has to bring back Friesen probably he doesn't. But it is telling when Lou had to give up a player for nothing, Friesen was the first to go.