46 replies to this topic

#21 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Tikkanen simply didn't want to be here, which is why his career lasted all of 9 games or so, but Lou gave up a third rounder for him (from St. Louis I think) and got back a second rounder when he traded him to Vancouver. So basically a third-rounder for a second-rounder.

Yep, a 78th overall for a 38th overall. Not a bad turnaround, really.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#22 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

Jim Dowd for Jocelyn Lemieux a few days before Christmas.

That was absolutely heart breaking. I hated Lou for a while after that. I was 15 and granted, I didn't understand the business side as well as I do now, but even now I think it's heartless. I mean... for Jocelyn Lemieux??
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#23 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,232 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

That was absolutely heart breaking. I hated Lou for a while after that. I was 15 and granted, I didn't understand the business side as well as I do now, but even now I think it's heartless. I mean... for Jocelyn Lemieux??

Lou tried shaking up the '96 team a few times throughout the season (they started fast, then went into a general malaise for much of the rest of the year...they went .500 in their last 78 games, after starting 4-0)...nothing he did seemed to get the team going that year...he tried to spark the offense with Andreychuk and Housley. Richer in particular had a dreadful season that year...turned out, unbeknownst to almost everyone, he was suffering from depression.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 11 December 2012 - 11:33 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#24 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

I'm in the same boat. Was about the same age (two years younger, if my math holds up) and lived in Brick, went to Dowd's Cup(less) parade at Brick High and his eventual Cup party at Monmouth Park that summer. The guy was a hometown god. Then, boom. He gets shipped to Vancouver right before the holiday. Absolutely crushing. I think I still have the newspaper clip with him boarding the plane after getting dealt.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#25 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

I'll never forgive Lou for trading Terreri... twice. I even wrote him a letter to explain my shock and contempt after the first one. Pretty sure He wanted out so he could actually play, but what 11 year old is going to be reasonable?

Edited by squishyx, 11 December 2012 - 12:37 PM.

#26 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

I'll never forgive Lou for trading Terreri... twice. I even wrote him a letter to explain my shock and contempt after the first one. Pretty sure He wanted out so he could actually play, but what 11 year old is going to be reasonable?

Thats awesome an 11-year old writing an angry letter to Lou about trading Terreri. No one can ever say youre not a hardcore fan of this team lol

#27 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

Looks like Verbeek for Turgeon was the worst, but it was before my time.

Claude Lemiuex three way deal.

This is the first trade I remember being actually upset about as a fan.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#28 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

I was sad when Chico got traded to the Flyers, obviously for purely sentimental reasons. Anyone know who the Devils picked with the draft pick they acquired? I don't recall.

#29 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Lou tried shaking up the '96 team a few times throughout the season (they started fast, then went into a general malaise for much of the rest of the year...they went .500 in their last 78 games, after starting 4-0)...nothing he did seemed to get the team going that year...he tried to spark the offense with Andreychuk and Housley. Richer in particular had a dreadful season that year...turned out, unbeknownst to almost everyone, he was suffering from depression.

ugh, that 96-97 season killed me. The Devils would've been in 4th place had they been in the Western Conference.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#30 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,232 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

ugh, that 96-97 season killed me. The Devils would've been in 4th place had they been in the Western Conference.

I was referring to the '95-'96 season actually. It was a tough year to watch the Devils. The funny thing is, if you check out their regular season records to that point, the only one that was impressive in the franchise's entire history was '93-'94. '95 was nothing special (22-18-8), and neither was '96 (37-33-12)...you could almost argue that '93-'94 was flukey if you wanted to, as '95 and '95-'96 were much more in line with the seasons that came before '93-'94. But from '97-on, just about every season has seen the Devils put up terrific regular season records, year after year after year.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#31 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

I was referring to the '95-'96 season actually. It was a tough year to watch the Devils. The funny thing is, if you check out their regular season records to that point, the only one that was impressive in the franchise's entire history was '93-'94. '95 was nothing special (22-18-8), and neither was '96 (37-33-12)...you could almost argue that '93-'94 was flukey if you wanted to, as '95 and '95-'96 were much more in line with the seasons that came before '93-'94. But from '97-on, just about every season has seen the Devils put up terrific regular season records, year after year after year.

i wrote 96-97 but meant 95-96. you are totally correct.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#32 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,963 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

Thats awesome an 11-year old writing an angry letter to Lou about trading Terreri. No one can ever say youre not a hardcore fan of this team lol

. During the summer of '94 (when I was 15), I wrote Lou a letter begging him to resign Stevens. I actually got a letter back from Lou signed in ink, telling me not to worry- that he would not let Scotty get away. The final sentence above his signature was 'He will be a Devil'. Sure enough, Scotty was signed to a new deal not long after that. I wish I still had that letter, I lost it when I moved. I've torn my apartment apart looking for it, but I can't find it anywhere.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#33 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

The trade of Pat Verbeek was the worst for me. He was my favorite player growing up.
Posted Image

#34 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

"Ilya Kovalchuk Deal"-Manta Ray and Chorske17

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#35 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

. During the summer of '94 (when I was 15), I wrote Lou a letter begging him to resign Stevens. I actually got a letter back from Lou signed in ink, telling me not to worry- that he would not let Scotty get away. The final sentence above his signature was 'He will be a Devil'. Sure enough, Scotty was signed to a new deal not long after that. I wish I still had that letter, I lost it when I moved. I've torn my apartment apart looking for it, but I can't find it anywhere.

Lol aww man that letter would be like getting a letter from the pope! Lou is the man. Also funny to see how hardcore our fanbase was as kids. Such a demanding fan base we have kids writing the general manager haha love it

#36 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,963 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Lol aww man that letter would be like getting a letter from the pope! Lou is the man. Also funny to see how hardcore our fanbase was as kids. Such a demanding fan base we have kids writing the general manager haha love it

. Let me tell you- when I opened the envelope and read it, my jaw damn near hit the floor. I was a kid, but I wasn't incredibly naive- I never expected a response. I just wanted my voice to be heard, so I did the only thing I could. The fact Lou took the time to reply to me, a 15 year old high school about-to-be sophomore, told me a lot about the kind of guy Lou is. I appreciate that to this day. I'll always appreciate it.

Edited by MadDog2020, 12 December 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#37 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,469 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Not to turn the thread, but Lou responds to every handwritten letter personally. If you ever want direct contact with Lou, that's a guaranteed avenue. You may just need to wait a bit for him to get to the random letters but he will. A great thing he does for the fans, IMO.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#38 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,963 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Not to turn the thread, but Lou responds to every handwritten letter personally. If you ever want direct contact with Lou, that's a guaranteed avenue. You may just need to wait a bit for him to get to the random letters but he will. A great thing he does for the fans, IMO.

. It's awesome that he does that. I had no idea he did that though. The fact I didn't expect him to respond actually made it more special for me getting a reply. I doubt many know Lou has a policy like that, but it goes with his old school nature.

#39 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,469 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

. It's awesome that he does that. I had no idea he did that though. The fact I didn't expect him to respond actually made it more special for me getting a reply. I doubt many know Lou has a policy like that, but it goes with his old school nature.

I think it's great too. I try to spread the knowledge around so Lou gets his proper due for it. Also, in case anyone else wants to get his attention :lol:
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#40 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

I think it's great too. I try to spread the knowledge around so Lou gets his proper due for it. Also, in case anyone else wants to get his attention :lol:

Well then, Lou better look out, because I'm about to turn my 9 year old brother into a front for my complaints, lol. I think I might suggest he write a letter anyways because if his reaction to getting Chico's signature is any comparison, he might die if Lou wrote him a letter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users