I Have No Idea What I'm Talking About

thecoffeecake

This is a bit delayed, I've been away with very limited internet access for some time. From some time soon after the Schneider trade through much of last season, I was adamant in saying Schneider would never re-sign here, and that we needed to trade him as soon as possible to get something of decent value for him. One of my fellow posters, exactly who I don't remember, asked me that when Schneider re-signed, if I would admit I have no idea what I am talking about. In my arrogance, I said something along the lines of 'absolutely'. So, NJDevs, here it is.

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

• Like 3

This is a bit delayed, I've been away with very limited internet access for some time. From some time soon after the Schneider trade through much of last season, I was adamant in saying Schneider would never re-sign here, and that we needed to trade him as soon as possible to get something of decent value for him. One of my fellow posters, exactly who I don't remember, asked me that when Schneider re-signed, if I would admit I have no idea what I am talking about. In my arrogance, I said something along the lines of 'absolutely'. So, NJDevs, here it is.

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Ya know, that might've been me... I don't recall who I said it to, but I do remember getting into an argument about Schneider where I was adamant he'd stay (and tbh, I wasn't 100% sure that he would, but I was getting sick of the negativity around the boards and wanted people to try and be positive about the future and just went off lol). Edited by MadDog2020

CC, it all kind of goes back to the same thing...there will always be a contingent of Devils' fans that thinks Lou never gets it done in these spots, and that contingent often not only ignores the many signings that Lou HAS gotten done (both pre-emptive and during UFA), but also glorifies the players that left (like Gio, Gomez, etc.) and leaves out the circumstances as to why they weren't traded or brought back.  They also pick random big signings around the NHL and take the grass-is-much-greener-over-there approach.   

Basically, there were people who assumed that Lou wouldn't get it done here, for no other reason than the idea that "Lou just loses guys, he always loses guys, blah blah blah...", when that is so untrue and so unfair.  Not saying Lou is perfect, no GM ever can be, and that he never make mistakes, because even good GMs make them, sometimes several of them, and I don't always agree with everything he does...but when it comes to retaining some key players (like Schneider), Lou is better at that than people give him credit for. 

Lou's certainly been more proactive at keeping guys since the Parise fiasco.  He even admitted as much at the Cory press conference.

Agree 100% on this.  I think Lou has been more aggressive with his signings since then as that seemed to kind of blow up in his face for reasons that were both within his control and out of his control.

Agree 100% on this.  I think Lou has been more aggressive with his signings since then as that seemed to kind of blow up in his face for reasons that were both within his control and out of his control.

Really was a perfect storm event.  One of those things that some people look to assess blame for (with Lou getting most of it), but a lot of things came together at the wrong time for the Devils.  The idea that Kovy AND Parise could've been locked up here for 13+ years is a pretty scary thought, especially since Kovy doesn't really seem like Kovy anymore. 

Lou's certainly been more proactive at keeping guys since the Parise fiasco.  He even admitted as much at the Cory press conference.

He pretty much admitted it toward the end of the season. He was saying very early on that locking up Cory was priority #1. In years past, he wouldn't have even said that publicly for fear that he was giving away his poker face.

CC, it all kind of goes back to the same thing...there will always be a contingent of Devils' fans that thinks Lou never gets it done in these spots, and that contingent often not only ignores the many signings that Lou HAS gotten done (both pre-emptive and during UFA), but also glorifies the players that left (like Gio, Gomez, etc.) and leaves out the circumstances as to why they weren't traded or brought back. They also pick random big signings around the NHL and take the grass-is-much-greener-over-there approach.

Basically, there were people who assumed that Lou wouldn't get it done here, for no other reason than the idea that "Lou just loses guys, he always loses guys, blah blah blah...", when that is so untrue and so unfair. Not saying Lou is perfect, no GM ever can be, and that he never make mistakes, because even good GMs make them, sometimes several of them, and I don't always agree with everything he does...but when it comes to retaining some key players (like Schneider), Lou is better at that than people give him credit for.

it's like a victim complex- after being beaten down several times recently with player transactions you develop a cynical mentality, I don't blame those that feel that way, I certainly had doubts in Cory extending and im about as optimistic as they come.

You and I being met fans know a thing or two about the feeling, and even my optimism fails me when it comes to them...

it's like a victim complex- after being beaten down several times recently with player transactions you develop a cynical mentality, I don't blame those that feel that way, I certainly had doubts in Cory extending and im about as optimistic as they come.

You and I being met fans know a thing or two about the feeling, and even my optimism fails me when it comes to them...

I can't really ever compare the Mets and Devils.  Obviously things in the Devils' universe have changed a bit with the recent non-playoff seasons, but even when VBK was clearly in over his head, I've rarely felt like the Devils were amateurish in how they ran the team...they've had some amateur moments (Ken Daneyko night (NOT his jersey retirement) was pretty rough around the edges, and we know marketing has never really been a Devil strong suit), but the Mets come off as buffoonish and they do it often.  I don't remember John McMullen, YankeeNets, VBK or the current ownership ever being hated by their fans as much as the Wilpons are depised.  And McMullen damned near moved the team to Nashville. 

It's like I said...yes, Lou loses guys (just like ALL teams do), but he keeps a lot too.  It's not just a revolving door of UFA bolting from the Devils the second the opportunity presents itself. 

I can't really ever compare the Mets and Devils.  Obviously things in the Devils' universe have changed a bit with the recent non-playoff seasons, but even when VBK was clearly in over his head, I've rarely felt like the Devils were amateurish in how they ran the team...they've had some amateur moments (Ken Daneyko night (NOT his jersey retirement) was pretty rough around the edges, and we know marketing has never really been a Devil strong suit), but the Mets come off as buffoonish and they do it often.  I don't remember John McMullen, YankeeNets, VBK or the current ownership ever being hated by their fans as much as the Wilpons are depised.  And McMullen damned near moved the team to Nashville. 

It's like I said...yes, Lou loses guys (just like ALL teams do), but he keeps a lot too.  It's not just a revolving door of UFA bolting from the Devils the second the opportunity presents itself. 

I am not exactly shy about my dislike (putting it mildly) about Scrooge McMullen so he was not universally loved.  I know a few others who share this feeling about him as well.

As for the Ken Daneyko non-retirement night, I was at that game that was very rough to see and experience.  I forgot if he usual painting they give the person at every single one of these events, but I do remember getting my nice bobblehead from that night.

Edited by DevsMan84

I am not exactly shy about my dislike (putting it mildly) about Scrooge McMullen so he was not universally loved.  I know a few others who share this feeling about him as well.

As for the Ken Daneyko non-retirement night, I was at that game that was very rough to see and experience.  I forgot if he usual painting they give the person at every single one of these events, but I do remember getting my nice bobblehead from that night.

Dano got a big-screen TV (the tech on it would be horribly dated now, lol) and a half Christmas/half current jersey framed.  His mic cut out for a long time during his speech.  Yep, the bobblehead is part of my 'cave...some I got two, which was a good thing, because my cat broke one of them (she knocked it over and it fell a few feet). 

re:  McMullen...I definitely agree that he wasn't universally loved, and never meant to imply as such.  I'm saying he was definitely not universally hated.  The Wilpons are very close to being despised by every last Mets fan...I'd be very hard-pressed to find one that has anything good to say about them.  If the Wilpons ever sold the team, there would be massive celebrations outside CitiField for sure. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Dano got a big-screen TV (the tech on it would be horribly dated now, lol) and a half Christmas/half current jersey framed.  His mic cut out for a long time during his speech.  Yep, the bobblehead is part of my 'cave...some I got two, which was a good thing, because my cat broke one of them (she knocked it over and it fell a few feet). 

re:  McMullen...I definitely agree that he wasn't universally loved, and never meant to imply as such.  I'm saying he was definitely not universally hated.  The Wilpons are very close to be despised by every last Mets fan...I'd be very hard-pressed to find one that has anything good to say about them.  If the Wilpons ever sold the team, there would be massive celebrations outside CitiField for sure. 

Haha wow no painting?  That certainly was different.  You bringing up the mic cutting out reminded me of that as I totally forgot about that part.  It was just brutal and felt like it was put together at the last minute.

That was during the 03-04 season right?  For some reason my memories of that season, as well as 05-06 seasons through 07-08 seasons are kinda hazy compared to seasons before and after that period.  Just had a lot going on then for me outside the Devils.

Haha wow no painting?  That certainly was different.  You bringing up the mic cutting out reminded me of that as I totally forgot about that part.  It was just brutal and felt like it was put together at the last minute.

That was during the 03-04 season right?  For some reason my memories of that season, as well as 05-06 seasons through 07-08 seasons are kinda hazy compared to seasons before and after that period.  Just had a lot going on then for me outside the Devils.

I honestly don't remember a painting, but I can't say for sure.  But yeah, felt very-thrown together and sloppy. 

It was Jan 9, 2004, and the only reason I know is that I looked it up.  It was overall pretty forgettable, and what was memorable was made so for all of the wrong reasons.  Very odd night for sure. 

I can't really ever compare the Mets and Devils.

you're absolutely right there is no comparison, but the result of player transactions in recent memory- niedermeyer, rafalski, gionta, parise, kovalchuk- didn't instill a lot of confidence in fans like coffee cake that Schneider would re-up.

The similarity with the mets is that every player transaction in recent memory has gone pretty bad- bay, Castillo, Bonilla, Perez, matsui, etc. the difference is the mets bring in players who then stink while the devils routinely lose their best players.

Edited by dmann422

you're absolutely right there is no comparison, but the result of player transactions in recent memory- niedermeyer, rafalski, gionta, parise, kovalchuk- didn't instill a lot of confidence in fans like coffee cake that Schneider would re-up.

The similarity with the mets is that every player transaction in recent memory has gone pretty bad- bay, Castillo, Bonilla, Perez, matsui, etc. the difference is the mets bring in players who then stink while the devils routinely lose their best players.

But the "they got away" list you presented is exactly what I'm talking about.  A lot of fans weren't even that sorry to see Gio go at the time.

How about all of the guys Lou re-signed and kept...Elias, Brodeur (who for his part made his re-signings pretty painless), Kovy (who I think many assumed would be gone as a UFA just because), Stevens, Langenbrunner (to a very cost-effective contract), Zajac, Henrique, Schneider...that's a pretty nice list too (and incomplete), but that rarely gets as much mention as the ones who left.  And as we've seen, he's been willing to dip into the UFA market (even if the results have been mixed).

I can think of plenty of Mets transactions that worked too (Mike Piazza, for one)...not like they've ALL gone bad (and the hatred of the Wilpons is not just about player transactions).   

Speaking of Bonilla, I think he just got his annual check from the Mets this month. Lmfao.

Don't forget the power outage during the second intermission that delayed the 3rd period about 15 minutes and it was Stevens first game scratched due to his concussion, both on fake Dano night.

Fake Dano Night was a disaster. Stevens had the 'flu', they lost, Dano's mic cut out during his speech... At least we got a bobble-head lol. I still have mine.