‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

Why do people think that because of 1 good playoff year Gionta's going to be making a dime over 800k? He barely played in the regular season.

I also think 3m for Fayne is soaring a bit

and with the depth a young defense in the midst there is no telling that Fayne is in their long term plans. Giving the guy that kind of money is asinine.

I think the Devils can keep Fayne for less than 3 million per as an RFA hopefully easily, but I think Fayne is "worth" 3 million per. He'll be much better than whatever dman the Devils could get as UFA for 3 million, baring an Ian Whiteesque favorable contract coming from nowhere.

The more I think about it, after the dust settles on the season and the offers come in, the Devils won't be able to compete. Zach is just such a stereotypical GM's wet dream as a player, some GM is going to offer something that just blows the Devils away. I was amazed at Drury's contract, and that was 8 years ago for an inferior player. Too many teams with too much cap space (baring drastic CBA changes). I know Zach cares about winning and blah blah blah but an extra 20 million dollars can change your mind pretty easily.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

to be fair, i don't think ANY player will ever get a true maximum contract without cap shenanigans so you have to put that in perspective. crosby is looking at a 10/90 deal and if his scrambled brain doesn't scare them, he's getting it. that's not a max/max deal. so i don't want to look at it in terms of "half the max".

you're right other players get that but let's be honest - what players with a cap hit of $7MM would you say are truly earning that:

There are 8 of 17 (ignore rinne) who are, in my opinion, worth that money and better than parise. there are also a ton of guys who make less than $7MM that are better than him too. But this is a free agent market so it's irrelevant as to what he will get. The point is what is he worth in the grand scheme based on everything else out there. i think the most fair deal for everyone where neither side feels like they're playing for too little or paying for not enough lies somewhere around 6/40. Obviously he will blow by that. My point is that his game is one that is based off a motor. He does not possess natural skills of Kovalchuk or Spezza or Crosby - that when a he loses a step, he's more than a 3rd liner. When Parise loses a step, he's going to be the equivalent of the best that Ponikarovski was this year. When Kovalchuk loses a step, he's going to be the guy from early in the playoffs who was still dangerous but at about 75% (not the guy in the finals who was gone and about 20%).

I think it was MacIsaac who saw concerns that Parise could see a drury like decline and that's scary to be on the hook for it.

The problem with going by cap hits is that a lot of those guys signed in markets where they're not cap teams, so front-loading and the like are just not concerns. It's all about dollars to the player. A lot of them were also signed pre front loading.

As I was just reminded, superstar players are almost always great value - the question is, how long can Parise stay at this level of play - if you bet on half the contract length, whatever it turns out to be, I think you've got a win there.

For Parise, I think assuming that they can assume the 35+ rule is still in place, he will want either a 7 year or 12 year contract. So the question is, are they comfortable going out 12 years and would they be comfortable with handing him somewhere between 72 million and 84 million dollars.

Saw this on HF Boards so take it for what it's worth "NJDevilsArmyBlog ‏@DevilsArmyBlog

Zach Parise left the Prudential Center today to chants of "come back Zach!" and told a few fans " dont worry."

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1206223&page=13

wow thats a pretty bold statement and i hope he meant it in the way we all think he does. another poster on HF said that zach couldn't hold back his smile driving away.

reading that thread it really sounds like a ton of people were there, wish i could have went

what if he said "worry" and just drove off :giggle:

What if it was Zach's evil twin brother and he only said that to get our hopes up and then have them dashed when he tricks Zach into signing a contract with the Rangers? I mean, that's totally possible, ya know?

wow thats a pretty bold statement and i hope he meant it in the way we all think he does. another poster on HF said that zach couldn't hold back his smile driving away.

reading that thread it really sounds like a ton of people were there, wish i could have went

He's smiling thinking of the tens of millions of dollars he's going to be making the next couple of years. I wouldn't worry too much either if I was him.

'cause it's the last time he has to see loser Devil fans, he's fantasizing about being greeted by hip Ranger fans when he returns to Laguardia with the Stanley Cup.

Okay, I'm kidding.

Just out of curiosity, do you think his girlfriend will have a say in where he wants to go?

Supposedly, not sure if this is true or not, but I read or heard that his girlfriend is a teacher in the New Jersey school system

Edited by grcenter47

Just out of curiosity, do you think his girlfriend will have a say in where he wants to go?

Supposedly, not sure if this is true or not, but I read or heard that his girlfriend is a teacher in the New Jersey school system

isn't zach supposed to be getting married this summer? so i am sure that she (since she will soon be family) will have some sort of say or opinion on where he ends up

What if it was Zach's evil twin brother and he only said that to get our hopes up and then have them dashed when he tricks Zach into signing a contract with the Rangers? I mean, that's totally possible, ya know?

Only possible if he had an evil mustache, and was on his way to tie a dame to the railroad tracks.

Yes, supposedly he is getting married this summer. I'm sure he will listen to what his soon to be wife wants or thinks, but in the end Zach will do what Zach wants to do and he will go to a situation he wants. I don't think it's a guarantee he comes back here. I think it's very 50/50 at the moment. He's going to want to see what's out there and what situations present themselves and take them all into account evenly.

There's already strong rumors out there that the Wild plan to drop a big offer on Parise's table, the Wings are going to try and entice both him and Suter, and that the Kings absolutely plan on letting their interest be known. Also some rumors that the Flyers might go after Parise as well if they can't swing this Rick Nash deal. I'm sure the Rangers will be in there lurking as well.

In the end, I think it's up to Parise to make the decision. I don't think the Devils finances are an issue anymore from what we have heard and can tell.

The problem with going by cap hits is that a lot of those guys signed in markets where they're not cap teams, so front-loading and the like are just not concerns. It's all about dollars to the player. A lot of them were also signed pre front loading.

As I was just reminded, superstar players are almost always great value - the question is, how long can Parise stay at this level of play - if you bet on half the contract length, whatever it turns out to be, I think you've got a win there.

For Parise, I think assuming that they can assume the 35+ rule is still in place, he will want either a 7 year or 12 year contract. So the question is, are they comfortable going out 12 years and would they be comfortable with handing him somewhere between 72 million and 84 million dollars.

i hate the term superstar but if we're going to use it, where is the line drawn?

secondly, i believe it was you who pointed out how his shot totals are going down. that's a bad trend for a guy like parise.

i'd love it if he took 7/56 from NJ but i think richards' 9/60 is the benchmark and why i think 10/70 is where he ends up

i hate the term superstar but if we're going to use it, where is the line drawn?

secondly, i believe it was you who pointed out how his shot totals are going down. that's a bad trend for a guy like parise.

i'd love it if he took 7/56 from NJ but i think richards' 9/60 is the benchmark and why i think 10/70 is where he ends up

his shot totals went down this year. but his game was changed a lot playing with kovalchuk (and without zajac). in the playoffs his numbers look back to parise-like, and that's against harder competition.

by superstar i mean play-driver.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.