Elias about Lou's free agents approach

SterioDesign

i still don't know why everyone is saying Clarkson is not worth that much, i said it often i don't like him at all but the guy will get a good paycheck guarantee. GUARANTEE, every teams want a clarkson type of player. And it's not always about what makes sense of is fair. Its more about where the tug war ends and who win.

of course it would suck to overpay clarkson. But i'd rather give clarkson an extra million than seeing Lou try to patch clarkson's production by the first guy hitting the waivers or an oversea project or by some guy we never heard about. We already have to recover from all the productions we lost from last year, we CAN'T on top of that have to patch losing some from this year too.If we sign a top 6 winger this summer it's still gonna be to patch for Zach. Our current guys stepping up wouldnt be enough either. We need to ADD, not lose and match this season in term of production.

if we have to pay 5m for clarkson, im all for it eventhough i don't like him. We fvcking need Clarkson. I'd be really happy if he sign for less but honestly let say youre Clarkson agent you have lot's of good point. Buddy is our top scorer, scored 30 last season, he can hit, fight, go in front of the net, he's good along the boards which we NEED in NJ, he gets under the other team skin... the knock on him being a bad passer and no hockey IQ doesnt hold much water in a discussion here when his agent will bring out all those other point and compare Clarkson to other similar guy around the league.

A player like Clarkson is rare and valuable, hence there will be a good of amount of demand for him.   Now that he has hired Parise's agent is not going to help us.   We should have locked him after last year for three more years, similiar to Zajac.

I would hate to see a great guy like Clarkie leave.  The only saving grace is the reduced salary caps that will effect all teams.

I hope he and Patty stay.

A player like Clarkson is rare and valuable, hence there will be a good of amount of demand for him.   Now that he has hired Parise's agent is not going to help us.   We should have locked him after last year for three more years, similiar to Zajac.

I would hate to see a great guy like Clarkie leave.  The only saving grace is the reduced salary caps that will effect all teams.

I hope he and Patty stay.

With Clarkson it all depends on the price.  I love having him on our team right now, but the fact is, his success is somewhat of anomoly in that he really isn't all that talented.  The whole is more than the sum of its parts, but I just don't see it as being that sustainable.  In three years, would you love the fact that he's owed 15 million for the next three years after that?  The answer is not a definite no, but it's certainly a gamble.

With Clarkson it all depends on the price.  I love having him on our team right now, but the fact is, his success is somewhat of anomoly in that he really isn't all that talented.  The whole is more than the sum of its parts, but I just don't see it as being that sustainable.  In three years, would you love the fact that he's owed 15 million for the next three years after that?  The answer is not a definite no, but it's certainly a gamble.

thing is... like i said. i understand being scared of overpaying. But who's gonna score goals? Who from our young upcoming guys can fill for Clarkson? none. Who could we sign 100% sure from the market will bring exactly what clarkson is bringing... and for cheaper? i imagine none.

we REALLY need to ADD to what we have. 

Edited by SterioDesign

thing is... like i said. i understand being scared of overpaying. But who's gonna score goals? Who from our young upcoming guys can fill for Clarkson? none. Who could we sign 100% sure from the market will bring exactly what clarkson is bringing... and for cheaper? i imagine none.

we REALLY need to ADD to what we have. 

When you're talking about who is going to score the goals, you have to calculate whether a particular player is actually going to do that.  You can say Krys Barch is going to take off and score 10 goals next year, but that doesn't make it so.

Or as an actual example, the Devils signed Rolston under the premise that they needed a goal scorer.  Sometimes things don't work out like you expect.

Otherwise, you hit the crux of the matter.  As it stands now, Kovalchuk is the only one you can count on to give you at least 30 goals in a full season.  Elias maybe, but that shouldn't last for much longer.  If you're signing Clarkson to a long term big money deal with the expectation that he's going to be one of the top three goal scorers on the team for the life of the deal, you don't have a good team.

Lou should point out  how Lucic went from a fan favourite and an absolute God in boston to the scapegoat being benched and booed by the same fans within a year, why? cause he's getting way too much money for what he's doing and people expect 30 goals every season now cause thats what he signed for.

People don't sh!t on players with very fair deal as much when they go cold. I'd really take that into consideration if im Clarkson. Looking around the league to see all those guys who signed for more than can chew

Lou should point out  how Lucic went from a fan favourite and an absolute God in boston to the scapegoat being benched and booed by the same fans within a year, why? cause he's getting way too much money for what he's doing and people expect 30 goals every season now cause thats what he signed for.

People don't sh!t on players with very fair deal as much when they go cold. I'd really take that into consideration if im Clarkson. Looking around the league to see all those guys who signed for more than can chew

i'm sure lucic is sticking hundred dollar bills in his ears to keep from hearing fans boo him.

when people say, "put yourself in his shoes" they're not saying, take your twenty something internet surfing fan of your favorite team self and turn yourself into a world class athlete.

they're saying - look at it from the guy who worked his whole life to get to this point and has an extremely limited window to maximize his earning potential for the rest of his life.

i have absolutely no problem with clarkson trying to get every dollar he can. i never have this issue with any athlete.

• Like 1

i'm sure lucic is sticking hundred dollar bills in his ears to keep from hearing fans boo him.

when people say, "put yourself in his shoes" they're not saying, take your twenty something internet surfing fan of your favorite team self and turn yourself into a world class athlete.

they're saying - look at it from the guy who worked his whole life to get to this point and has an extremely limited window to maximize his earning potential for the rest of his life.

i have absolutely no problem with clarkson trying to get every dollar he can. i never have this issue with any athlete.

yeah but when players like gomez or Luongo come out and say they wished they would have never sign those contracts. Cause they feel horrible about the situation they are in (100% linked of their contract) most of the time they dont care as much about that extra money at that time

yeah but when players like gomez or Luongo come out and say they wished they would have never sign those contracts. Cause they feel horrible about the situation they are in (100% linked of their contract) most of the time they dont care as much about that extra money at that time

I agree with both sides here a bit. Athletes do have to maximize their income while they can, they don't work as long, makes sense, why throw away cash you could have, right? At the same time, if the difference is $10M off a $50M contract. I'd take $5M per over 8 years instead of $6.25M per over that same time. It doesn't kill your finances, while making you less of a target by the fans.

I don't have a problem with a grinder or a player with limited skill getting every dollar. But I have no sympathy for a guy who gets silly money (ie. Parise, Suter, Kovalchuk, etc). 

Clarkson falls somewhere in between. He's made close to 10 million in his career and it is totally possible that this will be the last contract he gets in the league. Anything over 4/16 is too rich for my blood, but I wouldn't hold it against him if he decided to go for more

I don't have a problem with a grinder or a player with limited skill getting every dollar. But I have no sympathy for a guy who gets silly money (ie. Parise, Suter, Kovalchuk, etc). 

Clarkson falls somewhere in between. He's made close to 10 million in his career and it is totally possible that this will be the last contract he gets in the league. Anything over 4/16 is too rich for my blood, but I wouldn't hold it against him if he decided to go for more

Unfortunately 4/16 is not going to get Clarkson, unless Toronto sees more out there on the market! This is going to be a interesting off season most teams need to trim and cut stars because of the cap coming down so it will be interesting to see who is out there talent wise. I personally do not want to see Patty go he has to much left in the tank skill and teaching wise, I also like Clarkson but he may get higher offers. Again it is going to be interesting I think we can keep both and add what we need if we dump Volchenkov and I'd love to see Salvador go also putting in some defensive youth but Lou will never do what you expect! Lol never....

i think we should make a new topic and anyone could pick a team in the league and evaluate their needs... who they have to resign / let go / buy out and how much money they could have to spend on the market... its too much job for just one guy lol

but it could be interesting cause its hard to know with the cap dropping exactly who will be able to spend or shred salary unless you look at their whole structure and who they have to resign and all.

thoughts?

cause on top of my head i dont think Toronto would have money for Clarkson after signing bozak and everything. they'll have to keep money for Kadri too.

Edited by SterioDesign