#61 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:43 PM

Hardcore

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#62 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,182 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:45 PM

I just received a letter in the mail re-iterating they want the old posts removed. I am going to have to manually go back and delete posts. If you notice your post count going down... that is why.

I guess Rock will have to post again since his post count is going to go way below 10,000 now :whistling:

Deleting posts, zoinks that's going to take ages. Might as well just delete whole threads?

And I can't blame the paper really, I'm surprised it didn't happen before since you think about it reading the whole article really precludes you from using the link so what's the point anyway. It does cut down on 'hits'.

One thing though, why make you go back and delete all this stuff from months and years ago? It's not like anyone's going to read those old articles NOW on the site anyway? It should be stuff from like a month back only, this is five years' worth of posts to go through.

Edited by Hasan4978, 04 November 2007 - 07:49 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#63 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:45 PM

I might have to delete Rock and SC Devs fan completely. I feel bad about that as both have contributed to the historical threads we have.

#64 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,699 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:50 PM

I might have to delete Rock and SC Devs fan completely. I feel bad about that as both have contributed to the historical threads we have.

Threads, posts or gonzo like ban???? Hope just delete posts.
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#65 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,546 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:51 PM

if the star-ledger does this, there should definitely be a forum-wide boycott of viewing/using its articles. who needs its silly intrusive advertising anyway - gullitti's blog is far better than anything that clown chere is writing these days

cease and desist is one thing, but no one is citing old articles or looking for them on the forum.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#66 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:26 PM

Just friggin great, you cannot delete the first post of a thread. Which means I will HAVE to delete entire threads. It would appear everyone is going to be taking a hit.

#67 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:28 PM

You can't just edit the first post and put like DELETED or something?

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

#68 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:29 PM

2,080 times?

#69 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:30 PM

I don't see how that would take too much more time than just deleting the post itself. I would just copy and paste it over and over.

#70 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,596 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:33 PM

Maybe you can move Rock's and SC's posts/threads to a hidden forum or something and then edit/delete them when you can and maybe restore any of their posts that aren't articles?
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#71 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:58 PM

RD's right, DM, you might as well just edit the posts. It won't take you much longer than deleting the threads in question. I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but I'm pretty sure the Star-Ledger has no legal right to force you to delete entire discussions. The initial posts might be infringing, but there's no way responses discussing the articles are infringing on copyrights (unless the person was an idiot and quoted the entire article). Quoting a sentence or two in order to specifically address it qualifies as fair use.

EDIT: Sammy's got a good idea with moving the threads to a hidden forum. This takes them out of public view -- thus hopefully satisfying the S-L's demands -- and it gives you time to clean them and put them back into circulation.

Edited by RowdyFan42, 04 November 2007 - 11:06 PM.

Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#72 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:12 PM

RD's right, DM, you might as well just edit the posts. It won't take you much longer than deleting the threads in question. I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but I'm pretty sure the Star-Ledger has no legal right to force you to delete entire discussions. The initial posts might be infringing, but there's no way responses discussing the articles are infringing on copyrights (unless the person was an idiot and quoted the entire article). Quoting a sentence or two in order to specifically address it qualifies as fair use.

EDIT: Sammy's got a good idea with moving the threads to a hidden forum. This takes them out of public view -- thus hopefully satisfying the S-L's demands -- and it gives you time to clean them and put them back into circulation.

I wouldn't even worry about cleaning them up, its rare we need to dig up old threads other then for the occasional "i told you so" 5 months later which i think we can safely do without. Spare yourself the tedious work and just trash em or hide them forever.

If you were hell bent on cleaning em up how about making a separate semi-hidden section and give admin to a few volunteers just for that one section who would go through and help clean up anything that even quotes the article. I'd help in my spare time if needed and I sure a bunch of other people here would be more then happy to help out.

Edited by squishyx, 04 November 2007 - 11:13 PM.

#73 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:14 PM

There is no way to do multiple threads at once. This is a pain in the arse process. Click thread (after searching) hit edit, paste "edited" click save edit go back two pages and start again.

Even moving the threads will take forever.

#74 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:23 PM

There is no way to do multiple threads at once. This is a pain in the arse process. Click thread (after searching) hit edit, paste "edited" click save edit go back two pages and start again.

Even moving the threads will take forever.

:( anything we can do to help?

#75 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,596 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:20 AM

Wow that sucks, you can't move all threads by a certain poster?

C'mon Rowdy, use your skills and find a way! :P

#76 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:56 AM

C'mon Rowdy, use your skills and find a way! :P

It may be possible to write a SQL query that finds any post with a certain keyword (or one of a list of keywords, such as "Ledger" or "Star Ledger" or "nj.com", etc.) and moves the entire thread into a new, hidden forum. (Said query can be tweaked to deal with the Post, the Bergen Record, TSN, etc.) Getting them out of public view should be enough to satisfy the lawyers. From there, they can be manually reviewed and taken care of as necessary.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#77 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:15 AM

Cmon lets get a 1000 monkeys working on it right away ...
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

#78 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,596 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:21 AM

It may be possible to write a SQL query that finds any post with a certain keyword (or one of a list of keywords, such as "Ledger" or "Star Ledger" or "nj.com", etc.) and moves the entire thread into a new, hidden forum. (Said query can be tweaked to deal with the Post, the Bergen Record, TSN, etc.) Getting them out of public view should be enough to satisfy the lawyers. From there, they can be manually reviewed and taken care of as necessary.

See, I knew you'd think of something! B )

Edited by sammyk, 05 November 2007 - 01:22 AM.

#79 njdevils_info

njdevils_info

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:14 AM

Just do a
UPDATE `database` SET `formid` = "x" WHERE `body` LIKE "%nj.com/%"

You could, if you're so brave, do something like
UPDATE `database` SET `body` = "[DELETE by DM]" WHERE `body` LIKE "%nj.com/%"

but that could get dangerous!
Posted Image<br>/\/ of the Jumbotron and it's 2 Ribbons<br><br>
Favorite Doc-ism:<br>* "I have a tremendous grasp for the obvious."<br><br>
Facorite Chico-isms:<br>Chico: "Actually its Brylin who jumped out with Pandolfo. I don't know if Madden was tired or if there's a problem..."<br>Doc: "The problem will be relieved as he comes out of the penalty box now!"<br>Chico: "Oh yeah that's right!"

#80 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:59 AM

I don't do dangerous! And NJ0.com gets mentioned a lot. Is there a way to tweak that? star+ledger+Staff work ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users