Lightning sign defenceman Lukowich

Diabolical

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize I'm bumping old threads here, but I missed all the discussion it seems -

I liked Lukowich a lot and was sad to see him go, but a three-year commitment probably isn't worth it. He's a solid 5, but if he can come in here and look that good, why can't a lot of other guys? I think Luko's a winner wherever he goes, but he wasn't fitting in on this team, not with Matvichuk around. Unfortunately this deal is still a bargain compared to most deals out there so had the Devils signed Lukowich to this deal I'd be praising them. So be it.

Tretyak:

Your opinion of Andy Greene is way off-base IMO. This guy's not going to be anything particularly special but he will belong in the NHL - his upside is Paul Martin. I also think 'sophomore jinx' is a term reserved more for scorers than guys who get 10 points - Jordan Staal is someone who I'd expect to experience a sophomore jinx. Oduya fell off at the end of last season because he wasn't used to the North American season - I expect him to be much better this season and get around 20 points with ~10 less PIMs (on non-coincedental minors).

I will bet any reasonable sum on the Devils making the playoffs. I think trading Zubrus for Gomez is a minor downgrade, and I think the Devils will sign someone else - Lou was quoted as saying that. I think while Rafalski and Gomez were excellent players for us, both their games had liabilities that could've been hidden on a different team, but were very much exposed on this team. Rafalski's lack of a point shot doesn't hurt when you've got other guys who can blast it, but we don't have anyone with a significantly above-average NHL slap shot. I feel much better about this team with Gomez and Rafalski gone and signed to awful contracts when we've got Dainius Zubrus in the fold, Zach Parise and Travis Zajac to improve and our team entering a new building still with the best goaltender on the planet.

Edited by Triumph